Cosmic Rewind has 2 flights of stars at Exit how dumb

lazyboy97o

Nice to keep it in perspective.
I havent seen it in person, the picture I saw looks rather steep and almost like a fire exit out of a building. But cameras are known to do that. Is it as bad as the pictures look? If so I am a bit surprised disney didnt try to make it more gradual.
The 7” riser / 11” tread stair is pretty much the de facto stair.

Lilofan

I never been on the ride, but it looks like you must exit down a staircase. I can totally see someone that is coming off the ride who is woozy from the ride, falling while going down the staircase.
That actually happens at Guardians at Epcot. A guest feels dizzy after riding and fell down the exit staircase and was hospitalized.

ppete1975

The 7” riser / 11” tread stair is pretty much the de facto stair.
good point, i know there have been studies where they change the height up or down and people actually have trouble walking it as our bodies are used to that height.
This image though looks like 5 million steps almost straight down.
im assuming its the angle that its taken and the fact that its a 2d picture, i guess i should have asked is does it feel as aggressive as it looks, or for the majority of guests not a big deal
1660049890929.png

bhg469

good point, i know there have been studies where they change the height up or down and people actually have trouble walking it as our bodies are used to that height.
im assuming its the angle that its taken and the fact that its a 2d picture, i guess i should have asked is does it feel as aggressive as it looks, or for the majority of guests not a big deal
View attachment 659070
IMO it looks steep in person... But at least there is the mirror at the bottom so you can check on your injuries as you leave!

JusticeDisney

If this thread isn’t the PERFECT example of how some people on this board will literally complain about every single thing that WDW does, I don’t know what is.

That’s okay though, I take such great joy in the fact that the incessant whiners must be absolutely beside themselves on a daily basis as they watch the WDW resorts and parks be routinely filled to the max with guests having great times!

lazyboy97o

View attachment 659070
What I think makes it look so steep and straight down is the combination of a minimum length for the landing on a straight run. A lot of stairs going to such a height switch back so you have bigger landings and don’t see all the way down.

Married5Times

Cosmic Rewind has 2 flights of stars at Exit how dumb​

my very first time exiting I'm thinking "this look like some crazy, unnecessary somebody should be drawn and quartered for public amusement over it type designing"...............but after leaving the building the more logical approach is to assume that there must be some inescapable reason designers had us exit ride and more or less immediately ascend maybe 20 steps only to more or less immediately descend even more steps.

yes, on the surface it looks like a complete drunk designed it but I'm sure there is a solid reason behind it(there better be!!)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

my very first time exiting I'm thinking "this look like some crazy, unnecessary somebody should be drawn and quartered for public amusement over it type designing"...............but after leaving the building the more logical approach is to assume that there must be some inescapable reason designers had us exit ride and more or less immediately ascend maybe 20 steps only to more or less immediately descend even more steps.

yes, on the surface it looks like a complete drunk designed it but I'm sure there is a solid reason behind it(there better be!!)
The stairway crosses the track, but it does seem odd that something couldn't have been done as a work-around. I suspect cost was an issue.

Lilofan

WDI based in CA must have had some pretty good legalized weed to have them in a creative state of mind when designing Cosmic Rewind

MickeyLuv'r

View attachment 659070
The image tells the story.

There are times when enclosed spaces can be disorienting, especially when they are long/tunnel-like, uneven, and poorly lit. Some theme park examples are the caves on Tom Swayer Island and the ones as Islands of Adventure. Another space with the same factor is the last portion of the Express Rider queue for Kong.

A person can be fine when they enter, but become disoriented midway through the space.

One thing that helps is windows and skylights.

Lilofan

Well they only had $450 million to spend, so it's understandable.
Cost can be an issue at times. When the almost billion dollar park called DAK opened it opened with two rides. Can’t imagine what the price tag would be if AK had 3 or 4 rides to open the park.

lazyboy97o

I'm not one of them my friend, I have mobility issues and recently spent 6 hours having brain surgery in the hope it would help but it's not working just yet. With regards to the Guardians ride, we've been assured that there is an elevator there for anyone with mobility issues or those without who just want to use it. There is no ramp option but instead the elevator.
Since you keep sounding unsure, for nearly 30 years now federal law in the US has prohibited just having stairs in new construction of places of public accommodation. Not having an elevator or ramp provided would be a violation of improvement district, state and federal law.
Push 100 people off a curb and then push 100 people down a 50+ft flight of steps... compare the injuries and get back to me.
The height difference isn’t that great. You can’t have more than 12’ of rise without a landing, but even a fall down 24’ of stairs is going to really hurt.

Married5Times

Push 100 people off a curb and then push 100 people down a 50+ft flight of steps... compare the injuries and get back to me.
excluding the very new(babies/todlers) and advanced elders

100 off of curb should yield 6 with sprained ankles and 2 hit by car. Of the 2 hit by car one is in critical care while the other is shortly released from hospital

100 down a flight of stairs should yield a total of 20 broken bones, 27 sprains, 2 quadriplegics and 1 death

Br0ckford

View attachment 659070
I have only been on it twice. The first time I was a little turned around after getting off and gingerly walked down the stairs. I think just cause it was a new area for me and I didn't have my bearings. The 2nd time I was fine as I knew my way around better. They do seem pretty steep even walking down them. I hope no one else gets hurt. This pic gives me anxiety 🤣🤣

mergatroid

Since you keep sounding unsure, for nearly 30 years now federal law in the US has prohibited just having stairs in new construction of places of public accommodation. Not having an elevator or ramp provided would be a violation of improvement district, state and federal law.

The height difference isn’t that great. You can’t have more than 12’ of rise without a landing, but even a fall down 24’ of stairs is going to really hurt.
I realise they have them and was telling another poster who wasn't sure. As I've not ridden CR personally I use terms like "We've been assured" to eliminate the idea I've used the elevator personally.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Stairs you don't fall the vertical height.. you fall both the rise and run :) 7/11 step is a 13" travel per step. I kept the number a round one for arguments sake :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom