Cosmic Rewind has 2 flights of stars at Exit how dumb

Disstevefan1

You're Seriously saying that after riding a ride that walking up a flight of stairs is now considered "strenuous ".
Simply stand still for 30 seconds and for most the disorientation passes.

I think we're running out of stuff to be outraged about.
The exit is walking down a staircase, it has nothing to do with being strenuous.

I am guessing if this person knew ahead of time, they were going to get dizzy they would have waited your recommended 30 seconds.

Could you imagine if everyone waited 30 seconds before proceeding to the stairs ;)

One of the paramedics said that they dislike the Cosmic Rewind exit because of the safety risks and that his mother’s injury was the fourth in that particular section, including broken ankles.

This latest person has; deep laceration under her eyebrow, a fractured nose, a fractured thumb, a fractured ankle, and bruising on her limbs.

mergatroid

If I felt ill or dizzy I'd personally wait or ask if there's an elevator. I suppose the question would be is there space when you exit the ride vehicle to stop and recover if you feel 'off' or are you swept along by the crowd exiting the attraction. If you're not swept along and could have decided to use the elevator then there's a certain element of responsibility on an individual if they decide to use the stairs.

I approach this subject from the perspective of somebody who has dystonia which effects my walking. I don't own or hardly ever use a wheelchair as I'm a stubborn so and so and prefer the independence of walking instead even though it can cause discomfort. It's fairly obvious if you see me that I'm not shall we say "The world's most elegant walker" and from time to time at theme parks I get asked whether I'd prefer to use the elevator by staff. It doesn't annoy me as they're being proactively helpful, but I invariably use the stairs as I feel safe doing so. If I were to take a tumble (haven't done yet) then I'd take responsibility for it as I chose that option rather than the elevator.

The question is whether the person had the choice of waiting, using an elevator or whether they were forced to use the stairs? A ramp would be better however there's so many examples of stairs or elevator options in everyday life, that I can understand Disney and other theme parks expecting guests that are not comfortable using stairs for whatever reason using the elevator they installed for them instead.

Disstevefan1

If I felt ill or dizzy I'd personally wait or ask if there's an elevator. I suppose the question would be is there space when you exit the ride vehicle to stop and recover if you feel 'off' or are you swept along by the crowd exiting the attraction. If you're not swept along and could have decided to use the elevator then there's a certain element of responsibility on an individual if they decide to use the stairs.

I approach this subject from the perspective of somebody who has dystonia which effects my walking. I don't own or hardly ever use a wheelchair as I'm a stubborn so and so and prefer the independence of walking instead even though it can cause discomfort. It's fairly obvious if you see me that I'm not shall we say "The world's most elegant walker" and from time to time at theme parks I get asked whether I'd prefer to use the elevator by staff. It doesn't annoy me as they're being proactively helpful, but I invariably use the stairs as I feel safe doing so. If I were to take a tumble (haven't done yet) then I'd take responsibility for it as I chose that option rather than the elevator.

The question is whether the person had the choice of waiting, using an elevator or whether they were forced to use the stairs? A ramp would be better however there's so many examples of stairs or elevator options in everyday life, that I can understand Disney and other theme parks expecting guests that are not comfortable using stairs for whatever reason using the elevator they installed for them instead.
Perhaps the person did not feel dizzy immediately but at some time after? This could be a trip and fall not related to dizziness? In any event you bring up a good point about being swept along by the crowd exiting the attraction. We all have experienced this.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I never been on the ride, but it looks like you must exit down a staircase. I can totally see someone that is coming off the ride who is woozy from the ride, falling while going down the staircase.
You go up stairs first. There is a landing at the top of the stairs with a couple benches to sit on. (There is also a bench after exiting the ride and before you go up any stairs.)

Anyone woozy can take a break on the landing before climbing down the stairs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I would have done differently? The same exit ramps or ground level exit they have done for every other ride lol. I don’t mind a flight of stairs but this is Disney if something can go wrong it will

have you not noticed nearly every roller coaster at amusement parks is elevated? Disney is the exception in how egress is handled.. because they love building those gift shops in :)

But in general I find the whole building usage for guardians pretty lame.. especially the unload to exit.

celluloid

In all fairness, missed opportunity to be a well themed set of ramps akin to the theming you have in the queue that act as a post show, as that is what EPCOT Pavilions traditionally have. The ramp and theming would have been a win for reducing injury from distracted batches of people and been a bit of a fix for some of the thematic issues guests have.

mf1972

1B428EAF-FB48-401B-967B-2367A22E3F13.png

there’s other ways to get around epcot as well

Disstevefan1

You go up stairs first. There is a landing at the top of the stairs with a couple benches to sit on. (There is also a bench after exiting the ride and before you go up any stairs.)

Anyone woozy can take a break on the landing before climbing down the stairs.
It’s good they have benches. I guess it’s possible you can get a “delayed woozy” and not feel it until it’s too late.

Also, I wonder if it has nothing to do with woozy; if the treads on these new stairs are too “grippy” and folks feet get hung up and if you body is moving and your foot is hooked, gripped, there you go.

That said, thousands of folks were able to use the stairs so far, and we got around 4 that have fallen.

ppete1975

It’s good they have benches. I guess it’s possible you can get a “delayed woozy” and not feel it until it’s too late.

Also, I wonder if it has nothing to do with woozy; if the treads on these new stairs are too “grippy” and folks feet get hung up and if you body is moving and your foot is hooked, gripped, there you go.

That said, thousands of folks were able to use the stairs so far, and we got around 4 that have fallen.
Nice to keep it in perspective.
I havent seen it in person, the picture I saw looks rather steep and almost like a fire exit out of a building. But cameras are known to do that. Is it as bad as the pictures look? If so I am a bit surprised disney didnt try to make it more gradual.

Grumpy4196

While I feel sorry for the person that fell and hope they fully recover, it could just be as simple as this person tripped while going down the stairs. The ride may not have played any part in it. I have stairs in my home and I cant say I have never tripped (Though usually going up).

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

4 out of thousands? Too dangerous. Close the ride and dismantle the stairs.

yensidtlaw1969

You're Seriously saying that after riding a ride that walking up a flight of stairs is now considered "strenuous ".
Simply stand still for 30 seconds and for most the disorientation passes.

I think we're running out of stuff to be outraged about.
No. I'm not. I don't know why you're using quotes around "strenuous", since it is clear *I* never said that. I said it's an "odd" choice. Which is very different from "strenuous" or from showing "outrage".

Besides, it's not just a flight of stairs - it's one flight up and then two flights straight down, which is both unusual to encounter after any ride, but especially *odd* after a ride that is known for impacting people's equilibrium. As has been noted, someone has already fallen and hurt themselves.

Seems like you are choosing to make up things to be annoyed about. If you're gonna quote my posts then quote me accutately.

StarWarsGirl

I can't imagine anyone saying anything over using an elevator. I tore my PCL, and on my last WDW trip, I was avoiding stairs, which meant using an elevator on Smuggler's Run. No one questioned it.

BubbaisSleep

Never do I remember any flights of stairs exiting a ride
Many roller coasters in general have you exit through the stairs, which this ride happens to be.
Some Disney roller coasters also have you exit up the stairs instead of down (Space Mountain, Incredicoaster).
There are also many Disney rides that aren't coasters that contain stairs, many already provided.

Unlike DHS's, GOTG:MB/TOT have you exit down stairs, which I'd have to remind myself to walk down slowly even though I'm a thrill-seeker. WDW does seem to have a lot less stairs in their attractions though than other parks, including Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom