Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

We are just very passive aggressive

It’s mind boggling to me that people won’t take an approved vaccine but will take an unapproved veterinary drug based on nothing but rumor and distrust.

I’m as distrustful of the gov and politicians as anyone but to believe this is a worldwide conspiracy, involving politicians and scientists from hundreds of countries, not to mention millions of nurses and doctors across the globe, is absolute lunacy.

It’s truly mind boggling, and alarming, that people now trust social media more than doctors and scientists.
Perhaps it's all a very cleverly orchestrated plan going the other way. The idea of reducing the population of those who don't believe in critical thinking based on proven science taught to the majority of adults when they were in middle and high school who simply believe the short term blurbs and headlines of seemingly obvious propaganda and wackiness such as horse dewormer in an effort to advance society as a whole.

Nevermind...It's a global pandemic affecting pretty much everybody, which some folks seem to bypass in favor of conspiracy theories.

Ayla

We have a pretty big school district at ~16,000 students. Btu after 1.5 weeks of school we have 42 students an 9 staff cases. That feels like a lot.

I'm lucky my daughter is vaccinated, which takes her chances of infection down. My brother with a 3rd-grade kid is reasonably nervous.
Our K-12 is less than 1,000.

Virtual Toad

Younger child’s school held an emergency meeting today and voted in favor of a mask mandate w/opt out. This after 24 cases the first two weeks of school (compared to 13 total all last year). More than 100 quarantined— including the entire first grade.

Parents were allowed to weigh in and with the exception of one board member whose comments were off-topic and out of the mainstream (I will just leave it at that), the discussion was almost entirely respectful and thoughtful.

Notable were comments from a parent firefighter who commented that the hospital situation is indeed dire; a board member who confirmed that hospital COVID cases among children in the area have risen dramatically; a parent whose entire family got COVID after their child caught it at the school; and a parent whose family all tested negative in spite of their nanny testing positive- the nanny was required to wear a mask at all times in the home.

Overall glad parents and the board are taking it seriously and at least it’s a step forward.

mmascari

More than 100 quarantined— including the entire first grade.
Do they just add a week (or two) to the end of the year for first grade?

Did they have some type of plan for how to deal with quarantined first graders?

It's not like they're great at "self directed learning". Even remote live virtual is tough for a first grader. I suppose all of these kids may have been remote live virtual kindergarteners and they're pros by now. Reading that line, "including the entire first grade", I could hear a chorus of parents scream out in exasperation. :(

Virtual Toad

Do they just add a week (or two) to the end of the year for first grade?

Did they have some type of plan for how to deal with quarantined first graders?

It's not like they're great at "self directed learning". Even remote live virtual is tough for a first grader. I suppose all of these kids may have been remote live virtual kindergarteners and they're pros by now. Reading that line, "including the entire first grade", I could hear a chorus of parents scream out in exasperation. :(
Good questions— our child is in middle school where things aren’t quite as bad so we’re not sure how they are handling it on the elementary side. I suspect it’s “try to do your assignments at home” mixed with flexibility in the curriculum to make up for lost time later. No simultaneous virtual right now. I could tell the board and teachers are concerned with the disruptions to the kids’ education as well as the pandemic itself.

What surprised us was the extent of the quarantines in the younger side of the school. Our kids are older now, but looking back on those days we’d have definitely been freaked out and at our wits end!

ABQ

Visualization of the info @DCBaker dropped earlier from the Miami Herald. the 2 charts cover the same time period, 2nd just removed the inpatient bed totals to provide more detail on the hospitalization numbers. data source : https://healthdata.gov/browse?tags=hhs+covid-19

1630524949730.png

1630524988776.png

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Air travel down nationwide. Lowest numbers since May, even taking into account historic data with kids going back to school. At least I’m not in the minority on this! Looks like Disney anticipated as much in raising prices and rolling out Genie+. Most of their target audience who are willing to travel will be there. And be fleeced. Good business, really — they’ll survive.

ABQ

Air travel down nationwide. Lowest numbers since May, even taking into account historic data with kids going back to school. At least I’m not in the minority on this! Looks like Disney anticipated as much in raising prices and rolling out Genie+. Most of their target audience who are willing to travel will be there. And be fleeced. Good business, really — they’ll survive.
I'm sure your info is correct, but I went through PHX last Thursday and holy smokes, that airport was packed! But, anecdotal data is all that is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Florida cased may be declining, or, just sitting in a plateau. Hospitalizations seems to be declining, but, still at record high. Deaths, which lag behind 2-4 weeks are still increasing... increasing over its already all-time high.

1630525957970.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure your info is correct, but I went through PHX last Thursday and holy smokes, that airport was packed! But, anecdotal data is all that is.
I flew back from MCO on Sunday and it was empty. It took 7 minutes to get though security and about half the food and retail stores on the other side were closed. I was pretty shocked to see it that empty since the Philly airport seemed about normal when we left. Our flight was completely sold out so it’s not like nobody was traveling but the airport seemed dead.

Patcheslee

I flew back from MCO on Sunday and it was empty. It took 7 minutes to get though security and about half the food and retail stores on the other side were closed. I was pretty shocked to see it that empty since the Philly airport seemed about normal when we left. Our flight was completely sold out so it’s not like nobody was traveling but the airport seemed dead.
What time did you fly out? Maybe that helped a bit? We've only flown in by 8am and out at the earliest 5pm. It always seems packed to me.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All of this may very well explain why we, in MI, must now drive to Detroit to actually get a NOV flight.
All of those "connectors" have pretty much shut down. DIRECT, one shot flights, are still sort of OK... but God help you if you are depending on "connectors" to get you to a major airport :(.

DELTA phone service, with 4-6 hour waits, is not helping. I suspect no one else has anything that looks like phone Service.

BEGGING the US to bring back real Train Service :(. Shoot for 1948 - not 2023 :(.

Lilofan

That's true going through the Orlando airport , a number of places are closed. When going through the half open food court in the late morning half the food places were closed but the Chinese place serving lunch plates starts serving food at the weird hour of 3am. If one is departing from the United terminal at MCO , the Za - Zas Cuban cuisine is delicious Cuban food!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What time did you fly out? Maybe that helped a bit? We've only flown in by 8am and out at the earliest 5pm. It always seems packed to me.
Our flight was at 7:50PM but we got the to airport by 5 and to the gate by 5:30. There were several empty gates around us so we could spread out.
All of this may very well explain why we, in MI, must now drive to Detroit to actually get a NOV flight.
All of those "connectors" have pretty much shut down. DIRECT, one shot flights, are still sort of OK... but God help you if you are depending on "connectors" to get you to a major airport :(.

DELTA phone service, with 4-6 hour waits, is not helping. I suspect no one else has anything that looks like phone Service.

BEGGING the US to bring back real Train Service :(. Shoot for 1948 - not 2023 :(.
I think that’s true. The airlines are definitely flying way less flights but the ones flying are more likely to be full. So Philly to Orlando was a packed flight but other routes are just cancelled altogether. WDW was beyond dead the whole time we were there so I do think travel was down a lot from previous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom