Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Are there instances of this oral antiviral medication that can stop an infection in its tracks that science can learn from or borrow from?
Acyclovir, valacylovir, gancyclovir, the dozens or oseltamvir, the modern hepatits C and B treatments, the two dozen or so HIV medications on the market, just to name a few.

But because every virus uses unique methods to infect a host, a potential oral antiviral for COVID-19 will need to target something specific about the virus' replication cycle.

LAM378

I'm not stressed until I read everyone else getting stressed.
Then I get stressed that I'm not stressed enough.
Then I get so stressed that I am probably more stressed than the people who originally stressed me out.

I'm complicated. Or not. 😂 😂 😂
Ugh. I feel your pain. I’m supposed to check in in 65 days, and I have good days and bad days. Some days I’m super optimistic that things will be better by then, and other days I’m like FLORIDA IS THE WORST, HOW CAN I GO THERE, I MUST CANCEL.

My youngest turned 12 today so we’ll all be vaccinated, but me and my partner and my dad won’t be boostered yet, and I’m worried about my kids or my dad getting sick in Florida. I’m terrified of one or more of us getting sick there and facing a 20 hour car ride home. I’ll feel better if hospitalizations are down by October, and urgent cares and testing centers aren’t swamped. Oh, and I intend to elope there, and I just want to get married and then go to Epcot and have a few pina coladas in Morocco.

So yeah, it’s an emotional roller coaster watching what’s going on down there. I feel your pain and stress, and I wish you all the best!

iowamomof4

If the at home test you are talking about is the Binax Now test, it is only specified for symptomatic cases. If you were asymptomatic but infected, it would be pretty likely to give you a negative result.
Well, I was exhausted so in some ways I did have symptoms. But after the negative test and finally getting a better night's rest I felt much better. No one else ever had any kind of symptoms. So <shrug>, it is what it is. We've been home for 12 days and never developed any respiratory symptoms. Is it possible one or more of us had asymptomatic COVID? Sure, I guess.

correcaminos

You are reading me wrong. That is what I am asking. What is the plan... The person who responded to me was criticizing Israel. Israel adopted the vaccine quickly and had decent adoption rates as was deemed possible at that time. Within those parameters, nearly 80% of the population was inoculated. Now they are where they are (hint: it clearly wasn't enough but who would have thought given their exemplary start?). And I am asking what is the plan. They had good (perhaps not great?) vaccine adoption and this is where they are at- a graph that I wish was my retirement portfolio, not an infection chart.

If the path they followed got them there, how good was the path? That is not an indictment of the vaccine, of 12-year-old Israelis not being vaccinated, of Orthodox folks, etc. It is looking at the plan. We would be right to be concerned here in the US, we appear to have no plan and folks certainly are not working together. We're certainly sputtering if nothing else.
Not sure I am. You are harping on the 78% of eligible and missing it's only 58% total. That's the issue. They are not getting enough total to matter. Just like Florida.

So we need vaccines to be mandated for work or travel at this point and approve kids. Then we'll get somewhere. A little over half vaccinated isn't enough.

Been a long day but Ohio State mandated vaccines while I was out for all. My friends who work there are thrilled. Big university tol.

sullyinMT

Not sure I am. You are harping on the 78% of eligible and missing it's only 58% total. That's the issue. They are not getting enough total to matter. Just like Florida.

So we need vaccines to be mandated for work or travel at this point and approve kids. Then we'll get somewhere. A little over half vaccinated isn't enough.

Been a long day but Ohio State mandated vaccines while I was out for all. My friends who work there are thrilled. Big university tol.
O-H! I’ve never been more proud to be a Buckeye. Often as proud, but never more.

correcaminos

O-H! I’ve never been more proud to be a Buckeye. Often as proud, but never more.
I-O

If someone in July hadn't made it so EAU vaccines cannot be mandated in schools, we'd have seen it earlier. My church I sing and do music for is full of students. Many do not mask. I'll feel safer knowing they're all vaccinated at least my choir requires vaccines and masks atm

sullyinMT

I-O

If someone in July hadn't made it so EAU vaccines cannot be mandated in schools, we'd have seen it earlier. My church I sing and do music for is full of students. Many do not mask. I'll feel safer knowing they're all vaccinated at least my choir requires vaccines and masks atm
Well, we had to give that state up north one victory 😉. Seriously, nine B1G schools now. Purdue, Iowa, and Nebraska and Penn State are the holdouts. Though I wonder what Purdue in particular will do since they stated EUA and not full approval in previous statements, and should feel emboldened by the IU SCOTUS decision (as should all universities).

Club34

I'm not harping on Israel. Don't know why you keep pushing this on me. I complimented Israel. There is not much else Israel could do. The kids were not eligible to get the vaccine. The rest of their rollout was about as exemplary as you could get. Bested much of the industrialized world in rolling it out. As for the adults who could have been inoculated and didn't... 🤷‍♂️ There is a lot of that going on. I never argued that more people being vaccinated is not better (or is at least presumed to be better). I don't where you are getting this from. But again, what is the plan?

Someone just posted a very similar scenario in terms of vaccine stats for Canada. Was it 70+% for those 12 and up? Ok, what are we predicting will happen with those fine people of the north? Will it be another Israel or something else? What are the variables? What is the plan?

Then there is this...

Also, I don't know what their true vax rate is including the unvaccinated <16yo. That said (and this Twitter guy posted too) that the vaccine is still proving invaluable in reducing severe illness/hospitalizations. Thus, vaccination should continue to be recommended. But what is the plan?

Club34

Acyclovir, valacylovir, gancyclovir, the dozens or oseltamvir, the modern hepatits C and B treatments, the two dozen or so HIV medications on the market, just to name a few.

But because every virus uses unique methods to infect a host, a potential oral antiviral for COVID-19 will need to target something specific about the virus' replication cycle.

Is this like a "suppression" therapy? I don't know if I made up that term or... But it's not going to rid us or rid the body of the virus? Similar to the vaccine which is clearly a harm reducer? It would appear we are at a "management" kind of a plan rather than an "eradicate" kind of a plan.

sullyinMT

I'm not harping on Israel. Don't know why you keep pushing this on me. I complimented Israel. There is not much else Israel could do. The kids were not eligible to get the vaccine. The rest of their rollout was about as exemplary as you could get. Bested much of the industrialized world in rolling it out. As for the adults who could have been inoculated and didn't... 🤷‍♂️ There is a lot of that going on. I never argued that more people being vaccinated is not better (or is at least presumed to be better). I don't where you are getting this from. But again, what is the plan?

Someone just posted a very similar scenario in terms of vaccine stats for Canada. Was it 70+% for those 12 and up? Ok, what are we predicting will happen with those fine people of the north? Will it be another Israel or something else? What are the variables? What is the plan?

Then there is this...

Also, I don't know what their true vax rate is including the unvaccinated <16yo. That said (and this Twitter guy posted too) that the vaccine is still proving invaluable in reducing severe illness/hospitalizations. Thus, vaccination should continue to be recommended. But what is the plan?

Most of your answers are in the MSN article, so I’ll take a little time to dissect and comment on points I found interesting.
“Iceland stands out as one of the world’s most vaccinated countries, with nearly 71 percent of its population fully inoculated, according to data tracked by The Washington Post.” 71% still leaves almost 1:3 vulnerable to a “natural” (not breakthrough) infection. If Iceland has a similar school calendar to the US (?), then almost 100% of that 29% vulnerable is mixing in classrooms again.

Also, I think the plan - at least short-mid term - is in the same article. Some are trying to paint 1,300 active infections in a country of 360k as some kind of failure. At a 2% hospitalization rate referenced in the article, that’s 26 active hospitalizations. Hardly a failure. If we scaled that to my state of MT (roughly 3x), that would be 3,900 active infections (just about where we are), but only 78 hospitalized (we’re at 230). By comparison, only 56% of all Montanans are vaccinated. So we see that vaccines are still the way out of the worst effects of COVID.

Lastly, exactly what some of us here discussed earlier is at play: drastic increases from previously minuscule numbers being used as some kind of intellectually dishonest talking point:

“The absolute numbers are still relatively small, but Iceland’s tiny population and low starting point make the recent increase appear particularly sharp.”

I take your questions at face value. I hope you’re looking for answers and trying to understand. So, for me anyway, that’s how I’d view Iceland’s current situation and how it effects the “plan.”

Last edited:

Polkadotdress

In other news, for the “non-vaccinated don’t effect me” and “masks don’t make a difference in school” advocates, there’s this:

This school supports many of the local “in-transition” families who live in 192 and work at Disney. The school being shut means those parents have to find computers and “care” for their kids this week, and potentially even miss work.

18 months into this thing, we shouldn’t have to shut down schools!

*But thankful our school board is somewhat trying to do the right thing with a (not long enough) shut down.

Hoping the Celebration high school does not follow suit, and that a mask mandate for Osceola schools is also on the docket.

EDITED to add: 319 students quarantined (of 1500), and 72 positives since school start last week, with 22 staff quarantined and 15 staff positives as well.

Last edited:

James J

In the Parks
No
A bit more on protection waning in the double jabbed from this side of the pond: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58322882

Our next trip to WDW is currently planned for May 2022, which is quickly getting closer and closer but still feels entirely up in the air. We're also booked to come back to the US at Christmas as my wife's family live in SC, and that just feels more and more unlikely to happen too.

Patcheslee

Well, we had to give that state up north one victory 😉. Seriously, nine B1G schools now. Purdue, Iowa, and Nebraska and Penn State are the holdouts. Though I wonder what Purdue in particular will do since they stated EUA and not full approval in previous statements, and should feel emboldened by the IU SCOTUS decision (as should all universities).
Purdue is at 75% of all students, staff & faculty vaccinated. That's IMO a large number without mandating. Unvaccinated people will be tested at least once a week. They've had 67 positive tests since August 1st, and 25 of the 322 beds reserved for isolation or quarantine are occupied.
Honestly it would seem more inconvenient to test weekly and possibly have to move for 2 weeks due to a positive result than just get vaccinated.

Lilofan

In other news, for the “non-vaccinated don’t effect me” and “masks don’t make a difference in school” advocates, there’s this:

This school supports many of the local “in-transition” families who live in 192 and work at Disney. The school being shut means those parents have to find computers and “care” for their kids this week, and potentially even miss work.

18 months into this thing, we shouldn’t have to shut down schools!

*But thankful our school board is somewhat trying to do the right thing with a (not long enough) shut down.

Hoping the Celebration high school does not follow suit, and that a mask mandate for Osceola schools is also on the docket.

EDITED to add: 319 students quarantined (of 1500), and 72 positives since school start last week, with 22 staff quarantined and 15 staff positives as well.
That's true . Day care will be an issue but if anyone knows something about Kissimmee, there are a number of " day care" programs run out of apts and homes , cash only.

correcaminos

Then there is this...

We keep vaccinating is the plan. I already said as much. Just push and go on. That's all we can do.

Again I ask what is you end game with this? I truly have no extra time to spare for circular arguments.

Lilofan

Then there is this...

David Axe of the Daily Beast is reporting the covid surge in Iceland is due mainly to the unvaccinated ( 16 years old and younger ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom