Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

I mean, obviously I'm invested in Florida at this point because our trip is fast-approaching (57 days).

I'll be honest in that I really, really want to go. All I can do is grasp on to the idea the cases will start dropping and in 57 days be much lower. We'll all be vaccinated, most of us with a booster at that point if they go on as scheduled. I have extra vacation days stocked up in case we need to quarantine when we get back and we have money (and extra vacation days) to rent a car in case someone is positive there and we have to end up driving home.

Obviously things can happen that will make going then doubtful, but for now...

(i need this vacation :( )
You should reserve a rental car anyway. It is no obligation and no penalty if you don't show up. Rates last I checked started at $100 per day for an economy car. Good luck with you booster. Those open vaccine appts at CVS and Walgreens should be showing up around 1-2 weeks prior which will go quickly prior to Sept 20 if that is the route you are going.

dreday3

You should reserve a rental car anyway. It is no obligation and no penalty if you don't show up. Rates last I checked started at $100 per day for an economy car. Good luck with you booster. Those open appts at CVS and Walgreens should be showing up around 1-2 weeks prior which will go quickly prior to Sept 20 if that is the route you are going.

I get mine through work (a hospital) so they said we are covered!

Do I rent through Florida? You guys, I've never rented a car. 😂

Lilofan

I get mine through work (a hospital) so they said we are covered!

Do I rent through Florida? You guys, I've never rented a car. 😂
If I were you I would just go on Alamo website , click on MCO ( Orlando International ) and reserve a car for date , time and return date ( you can always return it early to your destination ) . You get your confirmation number and if you don't show up , then no worries. Just don't fill out your credit card info online, you can do it at the airport rental counter. The rental cars are about a 2-3 min walk from the rental counter to the MCO parking garage. There is an online option to prepay - don't do it since your plans are not final.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

I mean, obviously I'm invested in Florida at this point because our trip is fast-approaching (57 days).

I'll be honest in that I really, really want to go. All I can do is grasp on to the idea the cases will start dropping and in 57 days be much lower. We'll all be vaccinated, most of us with a booster at that point if they go on as scheduled. I have extra vacation days stocked up in case we need to quarantine when we get back and we have money (and extra vacation days) to rent a car in case someone is positive there and we have to end up driving home.

Obviously things can happen that will make going then doubtful, but for now...

(i need this vacation :( )
Same boat, leaving Friday!

If you are like me, the closer you get, the more you want to go. A month ago I may have been able to cancel. Now I have dinners and events booked, our magic bands arrived, and I’d be disappointed not to go.

Worst case scenario, we spend extra time at an awesome resort and relax. It’s only 4 nights.

We rarely bother with fireworks (that’s when we do more attractions) although I might want to see the Epcot ones for the first and last time. (Illuminations was my favorite thing in the “World.”) But we’ll see some from Topolino’s one night, so not concerned.

hopemax

Today is my last full day in FL. I fly home tomorrow. So far nothing, in terms of feeling sick. Just hot, sweaty and tired. We did 5 partial days at WDW, and just completed a stay at Portofino Bay for 2 nights, and did 2.5 days at Universal. While the majority of people are not wearing masks, and we didn't either, there are plenty of people that were. Anyone who travels to the theme parks and wants to wear a mask, should not feel self-conscious or out of place. I came thinking I would, but the weather has been so horribly hot & humid and we had the Moderna, so we risked it. We didn't spend a lot of time in indoor environments where we were close to a lot of people, other than the Bourne Show. At Universal, we had Express Pass, so we spent a lot of time in queues moving. The crowds fell off a cliff, so even things like Hagrid's coaster was only a posted 30 minute wait, with actual being less. Plus, with it being so hot, people were often keeping their distance in lines. Only at Disney was the return to "please fill all available space."

Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with. When possible, I tried to face my Dad, and not others, in queues. Obviously, on rides, you are sometimes seated with others. Sometimes, we were the only ones in our row. Early and late rides were way less crowded than mid-day. So you can practice your zagging while others zig.

dreday3

If I were you I would just go on Alamo website , click on MCO ( Orlando International ) and reserve a car for date , time and return date ( you can always return it early to your destination ) . You get your confirmation number and if you don't show up , then no worries. Just don't fill out your credit card info online, you can do it at the airport rental counter. The rental cars are about a 2-3 min walk from the rental counter to the MCO parking garage. There is an online option to prepay - don't do it since your plans are not final.

Okay! So I reserved a car for our check-out date! But there were none at the Airport so I had to get it at the Rosen Center? 9840 International Drive. I can uber there!

Hopefully this is an unnecessary step, but I feel better having it.

JoeCamel

Okay! So I reserved a car for our check-out date! But there were none at the Airport so I had to get it at the Rosen Center? 9840 International Drive. I can uber there!

Maybe check the other companies at the airport? You might find a car there and not have to Uber? Check the map where the Rosen Center is.

Lilofan

Rosen Center on I-Drive is heavily contested to get in and out so plan accordingly, about 25-30 min from the airport with traffic.

dreday3

Maybe check the other companies at the airport? You might find a car there and not have to Uber? Check the map where the Rosen Center is.

Rosen Center on I-Drive is heavily contested to get in and out so plan accordingly, about 25-30 min from the airport .

I tried a few at the airport, none had availability. I suppose I can keep checking until we go.

I checked google maps from our hotel - it's about an 18 minute drive? We wouldn't go to airport first, I wouldn't think.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I tried a few at the airport, none had availability. I suppose I can keep checking until we go.

I checked google maps from our hotel - it's about an 18 minute drive? We wouldn't go to airport first, I wouldn't think.
18 minutes without traffic, but I’d count on some traffic getting there. I Drive area is quite congested. 30 minutes is a better estimate.

Chi84

Premium Member

Please try not to stress over the trip. Odds are great that you and your family will be just fine.

We’re going at the same time as you and plan to be cautious but not worried. Based on what’s going on virus-wise, we may try to limit some of what we have planned, but there’s no way we’re going to miss the Boo Bash!

dreday3

Please try not to stress over the trip. Odds are great that you and your family will be just fine.

We’re going at the same time as you and plan to be cautious but not worried. Based on what’s going on virus-wise, we may try to limit some of what we have planned, but there’s no way we’re going to miss the Boo Bash!

I'm not stressed until I read everyone else getting stressed.
Then I get stressed that I'm not stressed enough.
Then I get so stressed that I am probably more stressed than the people who originally stressed me out.

I'm complicated. Or not. 😂 😂 😂

Club34

58% to be exact from NPR. If you think 58% is enough, I don’t know what to tell you. The article even said experts say it isn't enough. What's your end game?

You are reading me wrong. That is what I am asking. What is the plan... The person who responded to me was criticizing Israel. Israel adopted the vaccine quickly and had decent adoption rates as was deemed possible at that time. Within those parameters, nearly 80% of the population was inoculated. Now they are where they are (hint: it clearly wasn't enough but who would have thought given their exemplary start?). And I am asking what is the plan. They had good (perhaps not great?) vaccine adoption and this is where they are at- a graph that I wish was my retirement portfolio, not an infection chart.

If the path they followed got them there, how good was the path? That is not an indictment of the vaccine, of 12-year-old Israelis not being vaccinated, of Orthodox folks, etc. It is looking at the plan. We would be right to be concerned here in the US, we appear to have no plan and folks certainly are not working together. We're certainly sputtering if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom