Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A booster shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine dramatically raises the levels of antibodies against the coronavirus, the company reported on Wednesday.

Johnson & Johnson will submit the data to the Food and Drug Administration, which is evaluating similar studies from Pfizer and Moderna. If authorized by the agency, the Biden administration wants to provide booster shots eight months after vaccination.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine was absent from the government’s initial booster plan, announced last week. But with the new data, the company hopes to be part of the initial distribution of additional shots, which could happen as early as September.

“We look forward to discussing with public health officials a potential strategy for our Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine, boosting eight months or longer after the primary single-dose vaccination,” Dr. Mathai Mammen, the global head of Janssen Research & Development at Johnson & Johnson, said in a statement."

More below -

Virtual Toad

Pinellas school board refuses in a 4-3 vote to even hold a meeting to discuss a mask mandate. Sad but expected in a place where we also had to deal with an anti-science debacle over fluoride not so long ago. Notable from that situation:

“Though it was clear on Tuesday that a majority of commissioners supported fluoride, their 6-1 vote was preceded by three hours of public testimony, dominated by fluoridation opponents. Many of them accused the commission of trying to medicate or poison them.”

Heppenheimer

Is this like a "suppression" therapy? I don't know if I made up that term or... But it's not going to rid us or rid the body of the virus? Similar to the vaccine which is clearly a harm reducer? It would appear we are at a "management" kind of a plan rather than an "eradicate" kind of a plan.
"Suppression is the goal for viruses that go dormant and the immune system can never completely clear, like HIV and the herpes virurses. COVID-19 is not one of these viruses. The goal of a COVID treatment would be to block some portion of its replication cycle, giving the cells of the immune system a better chance to erradicate the viral particles before any severe damage occurs. More like the goal of antibiotic treatment against bacteria or tamiflu with influenza.

LaughingGravy

Well Florida has peaked as cases have leveled off. So the decline is coming and within a month case counts will be far lower.
I am thinking another peak will happen before a month from now, but I hope not. I have marked my calendar again. Yeah, it doesn't take much to entertain me.

drizgirl

Well, we had to give that state up north one victory 😉. Seriously, nine B1G schools now. Purdue, Iowa, and Nebraska and Penn State are the holdouts. Though I wonder what Purdue in particular will do since they stated EUA and not full approval in previous statements, and should feel emboldened by the IU SCOTUS decision (as should all universities).
Probably just waiting to get past their refund dates.

sullyinMT

Probably just waiting to get past their refund dates.
Just like the aforementioned high rate at Purdue, OSU was at 73% at least partially vaccinated before this announcement. They’re giving like 2 months to get one shot, and until Thanksgiving to be completed.

I doubt it was refund dates. The announcement lines up really well with full approval.

Heppenheimer

Just like the aforementioned high rate at Purdue, OSU was at 73% at least partially vaccinated before this announcement. They’re giving like 2 months to get one shot, and until Thanksgiving to be completed.

I doubt it was refund dates. The announcement lines up really well with full approval.
I would say if you really want to get OSU to near 100%, declare that the Horseshoe for the football games will be empty until that goal is reached.

sullyinMT

I would say if you really want to get OSU to near 100%, declare that the Horseshoe for the football games will be empty until that goal is reached.
Agreed, but the ‘Shoe won’t be enough. Multiple university surface lots for tailgating will also need vax passport gatekeepers. Seriously, though, with Wexner Medical and now the university as a whole, I think Franklin and even Delaware counties might be at like 85% vaccinated by Thanksgiving if not sooner. If Battelle, Chase, and Allstate join in, that puts them at over 90.

DeWine isn’t everyone’s hero by a long shot, but I wonder if this will give him gumption to petition at least Ohio public school and university staff/faculty be mandated.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I don't understand what people mean when they say "what is the plan" regarding vaccinations.

The plan is get everyone vaccinated! Yes, you can still get Covid, but vast majority will have mild symptoms and WON'T BE HOSPITALIZED. That's the end-game. Punch it down to a mild disease that we can actually live with.
And then add an oral therapeutic that can snuff out a breakthrough infection before it has the chance to spread. Complete eradication would be great, but that probably won't happen anytime in the near future, or ever. But at least get COVID-19 to the point that it becomes a relatively minor nuisance to the population in general.

matt9112

Restricting air travel to those with vaccinations is a bit confusing to me given air travel has now shown to be low risk risk for covid spread. Putting restrictions where it isn’t even going to make a dent seems silly IMO.
also. It’s 2021. Air travel is a basic form of transportation.

The idea is to punish you for your decisions...whole stick part of the carrot thing.
Yet here we are with people adovcating for restricting people against there will.

Jrb1979

Restricting air travel to those with vaccinations is a bit confusing to me given air travel has now shown to be low risk risk for covid spread. Putting restrictions where it isn’t even going to make a dent seems silly IMO.
also. It’s 2021. Air travel is a basic form of transportation.
Here in Canada they are making proof of vaccination for air travel, train and cruising. For air travel, it's for all air travel. It's for flights in Canada and international travel. At this point when you have such low vaccination rates it might the only way to get more vaccinated.

Lilofan

The idea is to punish you for your decisions...whole stick part of the carrot thing.
Yet here we are with people adovcating for restricting people against there will.
One idea I support to hold accountable people making poor decisions in driving habits ( ie accidents, tickets etc ) is when car insurance companies raise the customer rates on the careless driver however we all feel the effects when our insurance rates go up too. I've never heard of restricting air travel for vaccinated travelers?

matt9112

One idea I support to hold accountable people making poor decisions in driving habits ( ie accidents, tickets etc ) is when car insurance companies raise the customer rates on the careless driver however we all feel the effects when our insurance rates go up too. I've never heard of restricting air travel for vaccinated travelers?

Virus can fit in the act of god category in my book. Unless humans made it? The irony.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian notified employees Wednesday that they will face $200 monthly increases on their health insurance premiums starting Nov. 1 if they aren’t vaccinated against Covid-19, citing steep costs to cover employees who are hospitalized with the virus.

Unvaccinated employees will face other restrictions, including indoor masking effective immediately and weekly Covid-19 tests starting Sept. 12 the Atlanta-based airline said in announcing new Covid policies for employees."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom