Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

This could not be further from the truth.
I agree with their policy, but you would better believe they would love to have those additional 150 right now.
Indeed. Here’s a quote from their lawyer -

“What is shocking is that many of my clients were on the front line treating COVID-positive patients at Texas Methodist Hospital during the height of the pandemic," he said. "As a result, many of them contracted COVID-19. As a thank you for their service and sacrifice, Methodist Hospital awards them a pink slip and sentences them to bankruptcy."

Lilofan

“What is shocking is that many of my clients were on the front line treating COVID-positive patients at Texas Methodist Hospital during the height of the pandemic," he said. "As a result, many of them contracted COVID-19. As a thank you for their service and sacrifice, Methodist Hospital awards them a pink slip and sentences them to bankruptcy."
What I don't get is these 150 hospital staff many contacted covid in the workplace and then refused to get vaccinated in risk of losing their jobs? They rightly deserved to be fired when they refused to comply with company policy.

mmascari

In the end, I agree. If I owned a company there would be a vaccine mandate for all employees. I personally think people aren’t prepared or, worse still, even considered the unintended consequences. One need only look at Houston Methodist, which lost 150 staff due to their vaccine mandate. That was a few months ago. Guess what they are struggling with today?

This could not be further from the truth.
I agree with their policy, but you would better believe they would love to have those additional 150 right now.
Would they?

I can see the ads now:

With job listings: Come work for us, we don't check your vaccination status. Come work for us, we'll overlook that you may spread infections.

With ads to use the hospital: Come use our hospital system. We'll make you better, probably, unless one of our employees infects you with COVID since they're not vaccinated.

Perhaps from an ambulance chasing lawyer: Were you a patient at the hospital? Did you catch COVID while there? Hire ME and I'll get you compensated for the hospital's negligence having unvaccinated people treat you. The KNEW they were putting you at risk and did it anyway. I'll get you the $$$$$ you deserve.

Disorbust

Actually they did it to themselves. I am not going to "sacrifice" my or my families health so that my co-worker on the front line can bring Covid into our workplace because it's there freedom to do so.

I would NOT work in a hospital that isn't mandating the vaccine so to me it is a recruitment benefit.

And if you really worked on the front lines, and witnesses Covid, you would get vaccinated or you shouldn't be in healthcare in the first place.

I guess they never got the flu shot either, or any other vaccine that is required, at least in my state, to be in a clinical setting.

You are free to work elswhere.

Heppenheimer

If only there was something simple, free and easy they could have done to avoid personal bankruptcy, something that maybe hundreds of millions of people have already done.

And unless the lawyer is working on a contingency or pro bono basis, that "bankruptcy" comment is quite ironic.

Heppenheimer

Not sure if you are simply referring to people on the forum convincing other people on the forum, or do you mean convincing people in real life? We have had a number of people on here talk about how they have convinced people in real life.
I have personally convinced several people, but I'm in a unique position to be able to do so. However, my reach is limited to one person at a time. Hence, the need for policies that move people in the right direction.

I wish I could find the exact quote, but George Washington himself once wrote something along the lines that the role of a democratic government should be enact laws that encourage desired public behavior and discourage undesirable actions.

Timmay

Eh, I’m neither overly sympathetic with the staff or impressed by the attorney’s theatrics. Again, Methodist made the right call, especially back in early April when things were different. I support healthcare systems making that call now. They just need to be prepared, and thankfully some are gearing up for it.

Lilofan

I have personally convinced several people, but I'm in a unique position to be able to do so. However, my reach is limited to one person at a time. Hence, the need for policies that move people in the right direction.

I wish I could find the exact quote, but George Washington himself once wrote something along the lines that the role of a democratic government should be enact laws that encourage desired public behavior and discourage undesirable actions.
On the flip side, "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism"- Benjamin Franklin

It seems like dissenters take this to the next level.

Thank you for making a difference, one person at a time.

Polkadotdress

Is going be not be another wave in winter as enough people are vaccinated as kids 5-11 too?
At this point, it seems likely as we don’t seem to be heading down a road of success.

*Note: I am not a scientist or doctor, and am instead merely a citizen of this country who is watching this situation with dismay.

TrainsOfDisney

I agree with measures to reduce the spread (masks, distancing, limited capacity) I do not agree with limiting travel until some magical time happens when there is no disease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmay

Would they?
Yes.
I can see the ads now:

With job listings: Come work for us, we don't check your vaccination status. Come work for us, we'll overlook that you may spread infections.

With ads to use the hospital: Come use our hospital system. We'll make you better, probably, unless one of our employees infects you with COVID since they're not vaccinated.

Perhaps from an ambulance chasing lawyer: Were you a patient at the hospital? Did you catch COVID while there? Hire ME and I'll get you compensated for the hospital's negligence having unvaccinated people treat you. The KNEW they were putting you at risk and did it anyway. I'll get you the $$$$$ you deserve.
You do know, of course, the two largest healthcare systems in the US have many staff currently working in patient care areas that aren’t vaccinated. Ascension associates must be vaccinated by November 1st, and HCA has no mandate as of yet, last I knew.

Lady Liberty

If being reasonable and offering incentives hasn't worked, then time to start mandating vaccination, or face restrictions on what individuals can do in society. I'm glad to see more and more jurisdictions and private companies are moving in this direction.

We only have so much control what happens beyond our borders, beyond being active and engaged members of certain world organizations. But we can very much control what happens within the country, and right now, we haven't done nearly enough to reduce our own vulnerability.

So true, too bad we don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom