Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

I appreciate your posting of the articles. I was talking about this very thing in a private forum not too long ago that we need to hear more about what having covid does or does not do in terms of immunity. I think that is why some people are wondering about the topic. The narrative is to ignore natural immunity to push the vaccine (hence being oversold and why I quoted it along with that other post). I understand why they would do this but it isn't helping. I disagree with the likes of Sam Harris (semi-popular? intellectual who I am quite fond of) who said that this is not the time to be asking questions. Total garbage. This is exactly the time to be asking questions. It's not my problem that there is an overabundance of morons (and this coming from the dumbest forum member, mind you) that cannot handle the nuance.

Immunity from having Covid previously does offer a measure of protection. No, it may not offer the same measure of protection as the vaccine, but nevertheless, there is immunity. The fact that people may want to hear about those things does not indicate being an anti-vaxxer and even if they are an anti-vaxxer, the legitimacy of the topic still stands. It can be and should be discussed. I will not stand for discourse being curtailed just because there are people who think Covid is a hoax and the vaccine is a CIA mind-control drug.
Appreciate your thoughts. We can agree to disagree that it is being oversold. I went from "we don't know, but it looks good" to "still pretty good but not the best"

Oddly friends who were earlier cases and really bad off didn't care about how good their natural immunity was. They wanted everything in their power to make sure they didn't live it or have it worse. Just a differing point of view. Neither is right or wrong in my opinion. Though some do use "natural immunity" as anti-vax rhetoric. Not all do, but many who often had covid 2 or more times too ;)

I do think many are looking at all angles, but IRL not everyone sees that they are.

Polkadotdress

Lilofan

I hope may there will be no more spike anymore by Christmas as enough people are vaccinated along with kids 5-11 too, by the pandemic will be over in next year.
There will be more getting vaccinated or if some don't , then some will be fired if they don't follow their respective company directive.

Club34

Natural Immunity: Is it strong or isn't it? Doesn't matter. New variants make whatever natural defenses the infected gained from their initial less effective. So, how to those relying on natural immunity boost it? By licking doorknobs in the hope of catching COVID again? Get vaccinated.

I'm still highly skeptical that the CDC and/or the FDA will sign off on boosters at this time for the general population like they did for the immune-compromised.

Except I would say it does matter. No one, and I mean no one, on the forum is going to convince anyone to get vaccinated at this point. People need to accept that. Pride is toxic and that is where we are at in my opinion. So knowing that these minds will likely never be changed by data, shame, or careful conversation, knowing what immunity these folks might have following an infection that they survive is useful and should be part of the conversation.

The notion that we have (as of last night?) been approved for boosters is not necessarily good news. The WHO (who I trust no more than any politician or the CDC for that matter) has made an interesting point. Western countries have been hogging up all the vaccines and many in developing nations are struggling to vaccinate their own populations. Not a good strategy in fighting a global pandemic. This idea needs discussion and planning. We will need Africa's help, Thailand's help, etc if we think we can get back to "normal".

If folks think we are going to vaccinate our way out of this, then they should do well to start vaccinating everyone (meaning as many as possible). We're so busy making fun of TX and FL that we forgot India and other places that can't just walk into CVS without a line at this point and get inoculated. This notion of vaccine shortage will be a bigger thing moving forward I suspect if the current surge continues and/or a quick wave returns as the states and Europe head into winter. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Except I would say it does matter. No one, and I mean no one, on the forum is going to convince anyone to get vaccinated at this point. People need to accept that. Pride is toxic and that is where we are at in my opinion. So knowing that these minds will likely never be changed by data, shame, or careful conversation, knowing what immunity these folks might have following an infection that they survive is useful and should be part of the conversation.

The notion that we have (as of last night?) been approved for boosters is not necessarily good news. The WHO (who I trust no more than any politician or the CDC for that matter) has made an interesting point. Western countries have been hogging up all the vaccines and many in developing nations are struggling to vaccinate their own populations. Not a good strategy in fighting a global pandemic. This idea needs discussion and planning. We will need Africa's help, Thailand's help, etc if we think we can get back to "normal".

If folks think we are going to vaccinate our way out of this, then they should do well to start vaccinating everyone (meaning as many as possible). We're so busy making fun of TX and FL that we forgot India and other places that can't just walk into CVS without a line at this point and get inoculated. This notion of vaccine shortage will be a bigger thing moving forward I suspect if the current surge continues and/or a quick wave returns as the states and Europe head into winter. I'm not looking forward to it at all.
I hope we don't get a quick wave in winter as enough people are vaccinated.

Heppenheimer

If being reasonable and offering incentives hasn't worked, then time to start mandating vaccination, or face restrictions on what individuals can do in society. I'm glad to see more and more jurisdictions and private companies are moving in this direction.

We only have so much control what happens beyond our borders, beyond being active and engaged members of certain world organizations. But we can very much control what happens within the country, and right now, we haven't done nearly enough to reduce our own vulnerability.

correcaminos

I've made it a goal to help as many people as possible get vaccinated. In the early days I spents hours scouring openings for people who asked for help. Around April that need diminished and now I focus on one on one. It's pretty amazing when others actually open and listen. It has happened this week even so not all hope is lost.

When I try and fail with everyone left, I'll accept it. For now I will not.

Timmay

If being reasonable and offering incentives hasn't worked, then time to start mandating vaccination, or face restrictions on what individuals can do in society. I'm glad to see more and more jurisdictions and private companies are moving in this direction.

We only have so much control what happens beyond our borders, beyond being active and engaged members of certain world organizations. But we can very much control what happens within the country, and right now, we haven't done nearly enough to reduce our own vulnerability.
In the end, I agree. If I owned a company there would be a vaccine mandate for all employees. I personally think people aren’t prepared or, worse still, even considered the unintended consequences. One need only look at Houston Methodist, which lost 150 staff due to their vaccine mandate. That was a few months ago. Guess what they are struggling with today?

Disorbust

In the end, I agree. If I owned a company there would be a vaccine mandate for all employees. I personally think people aren’t prepared or, worse still, even considered the unintended consequences. One need only look at Houston Methodist, which lost 150 staff due to their vaccine mandate. That was a few months ago. Guess what they are struggling with today?
Houston Methodist has over 22,000 employees. 150 is nothing. They are struggling with staffing, as is every Health care system, for the same reasons before there was even a pandemic.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Not sure if you are simply referring to people on the forum convincing other people on the forum, or do you mean convincing people in real life? We have had a number of people on here talk about how they have convinced people in real life.

Lilofan

The idiotic 150 Houston Methodist hospital staff who no longer work there tried filing a lawsuit of them being used as medical guinea pigs regarding vaccine mandates. " Ma' Freedom " helped them lose their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom