Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

skypilot2922

Wow! This kind of sums up how I feel about all of the data we're given. So much of it is useless for exactly the types of reasons you state, yet it could be so meaningful if put together differently. I guess that's statistics in general. Anyone can use them to show anything if the people drawing conclusions don't ask the right questions. It's definitely frustrating.
Signed Yours Truly,
Just Another Recipient of That "Other" Vaccine

percentages without numbers are useless if a county has one person with COVID and another gets it then Media runs with COVID CASES INCREASE BY 100% in COUNTY. all that does is scare people is it mathematically true yes it is, its also vastly misleading.

maui2k7

We have to wait and see next month....
The reason I would not get my hopes is that on April 30, 2021, when cases were on a clear decline, they extended the mask mandate on transportation until Sept 13th. Even if we are on a downward trend by then, we will still not be at a low enough level for the CDC to change their guidance. Sept 13th is less than 4 weeks away.

Having said that, I welcome the day that masks are a thing of the past not just on transportation, but everywhere.

Polkadotdress

That works except for the people who got their cards laminated. Either way it can be done with the existing cards. I do think we missed a golden opportunity to have a centralized database. People could be offered the ability to opt out of the database but they would then be ineligible to use any apps to show proof of vaccination.
Indeed. It seems as if “the greatest country on Earth” has missed many opportunities to do things better, more organized, and more efficiently. But, here we are.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My understanding is you can still work for Disney, you just have to get tested regularly.
No, it’s required. There will be limited exceptions for medical and religious reasons but there is no opt out that allows the employee to just be tested. Non-union workers have 60 days from the announcement to comply and the company is still negotiating with the union on an amendment to the union contract.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No, it’s required. There will be limited exceptions for medical and religious reasons but there is no opt out that allows the employee to just be tested. Non-union workers have 60 days from the announcement to comply and the company is still negotiating with the union on an amendment to the union contract.

I hope booster vaccines and therapists will ending the pandemic next year...

TrainsOfDisney

That’s not how it was explained to me but i think it’s still being finalized for different departments.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lots of data showing vaccines wearing off. Just look at some of the studies and analysis I have linked in the past. This includes Pfizer’s own analysis of phase 3 data pre delta. VE of Pfizer is dropping 3% per month. ( linked in the past) Then other studies showing Pfizer is less effective vs delta. To get it as effective as two shots are against wild covid (the original) they need us to get a booster ( ie three shots total). This is from Pfizer’s Phase 1 booster study results. I linked it earlier.

So vaccine effectiveness is going down ( Pfizer 3% per month, Moderna 1% per month pre delta), and the vaccines are less effective vs delta. So their effectiveness is decreasing over time and due to the variant ( delta). But they still have a positive effect, if diminished, and they seem more effective against serious covid ( cases requiring hospitalization) than symptomatic covid.

With the high level of effectiveness that the vaccines started with, there really isn't a need for a booster for the original variant. Even though the vaccine producers are saying so (what a surprise they would say that), the CDC isn't. They're following the science which is recommending a booster for immune-compromised folks who have a clear reduction of antibodies compared to others.

The problem is the variants. The vaccines start off with a lesser effectiveness (but still pretty effective). And future variants may prove even more resistant to the current vaccine.

The real reason for boosters will be, I predict, an altered vaccine that targets the new variants more effectively.

Either way, the U.S. administration can announce plans to do boosters, but it will still take the FDA to approve it. And I don't think they're in the mood to allay first world irrational fears over a slightly less effective inoculation by rushing the science with regard to boosters while they're still trying to vaccinate children and the world.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s not how it was explained to me but i think it’s still being finalized for different departments.
The union contract is still being negotiated. For all salaried and non-union workers it’s required, no opt out. There are limited exceptions for medical and religious reasons but that’s it. From the way I understand it the exceptions will require proof not just a statement from the worker and that’s part of the hold up on the union negotiation.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
This story came out yesterday.

Officials are planning to announce the decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans who received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing caseloads to surge across much of the nation. The new policy will depend on the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of additional shots.​
The important part is that the US is *advising* boosters. But advising is meaningless unless the CDC and the FDA play along, and they're going to follow the science and take months and months to do so. In that article, this is the important caveat in the article...
The new policy will depend on the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of additional shots.

Last edited:

seascape

That works except for the people who got their cards laminated. Either way it can be done with the existing cards. I do think we missed a golden opportunity to have a centralized database. People could be offered the ability to opt out of the database but they would then be ineligible to use any apps to show proof of vaccination.
We made slightly smaller copies of the original cards and laminated them. I have a copy of my wife's and mine and so does she. We will have the third date put on the original and do the same.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Try reading the source materials, most of the women in my family are in the health care field as physicians, nurses or hospital adminstrators.

the link below details a federal payment of 50,000 per covid admission to hospitals. Which is a much better way of dealing with it as it does not screw up mortality numbers

We've already dealt with this lie while you were banned from the forums.

If there are elevated number of cases of COVID because of money from the U.S. government to hospitals, and there was widespread abuse of this, then:

1. Where are the whistleblowers? This is illegal. There must have been someone somewhere blowing the whistle on the hospital administration that would have led to an investigation and charges.

2. What's in it for the doctors who are lying? It's the hospitals getting the extra money. Why would doctors lie on death certificates to enrich the hospital? Why risk their license and their careers over this?

3. The US government doesn't give money to hospitals in foreign countries. So, why is the death rate for COVID so high in other countries too? Is this an international conspiracy? Do the doctors in Turkey get threats to overreport COVID deaths because of the Medicare system in the US?

4. All the data of total deaths in the US and other countries show that the number of COVID cases are actually being underreported. There are significantly more deaths happening than the numbers for COVID and other causes together can account for. Think it might be because of a pandemic that has killed millions?

aliceismad

The important part is that the US is *advising* boosters. But advising is meaningless unless the CDC and the FDA play along, and they're going to follow the science and take months and months to do so. In that article, this is the important caveat...
The new policy will depend on the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of additional shots.
And this is part of the whole problem with covid since the beginning. There are so many entities giving out information and "advise." It confuses people, and then people lose confidence in the media and any of the sources, except those that tell them what they want to hear.

Disney Experience

With the high level of effectiveness that the vaccines started with, there really isn't a need for a booster for the original variant. Even though the vaccine producers are saying so (what a surprise they would say that), the CDC isn't. They're following the science which is recommending a booster for immune-compromised folks who have a clear reduction of antibodies compared to others.

The problem is the variants. The vaccines start off with a lesser effectiveness (but still pretty effective). And future variants may prove even more resistant to the current vaccine.

The real reason for boosters will be, I predict, an altered vaccine that targets the new variants more effectively.

Either way, the U.S. administration can announce plans to do boosters, but it will still take the FDA to approve it. And I don't think they're in the mood to allay first world irrational fears over a slightly less effective inoculation by rushing the science with regard to boosters while they're still trying to vaccinate children and the world.
If I had not caught Delta in June, according to when I was fully vaccinated in September 2020, the expected VE (efficacy) against wild covid (ie original covid) would be 63% right now for me. 63% is not slightly less.

So almost a coin flip. If you factor in the decrease in VE from delta it would be closer to 33% VE(which truly not just slightly less than 96% VE 2 weeks post 2nd shot) . A booster would “probably” bring it up into the 90s. So for those who have had Pfizer a booster is very useful.

Pfizer Is providing the data to FDA, FDA will approve booster for general public, the science is supporting it, I have not seen one study that is suggesting that ( for Pfizer) a booster is not needed. People and scientists had “hoped” it was not going to be needed, but the decline of VE over time and the rise of delta has provided the data that makes a Pfizer booster inevitable.

Assuming the booster trial in progress now demonstrate safety and efficacy ( Phase 1 data suggests this) EUA of Pfizer booster for general population is inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom