Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

New email just went out at work, I believe we've had a lot of cases over the past few weeks. Definitely will make it an inconvenience to not be vaccinated!
  • Every person who works at the office will be asked to provide proof that they have been vaccinated.
  • Anyone who is not fully vaccinated must get tested for COVID-19 twice a week.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yup, fighting COVID with Freedom... seems to be working out great.
I would seriously like to know what could have been done to stop this trend, say...4 weeks ago..5 weeks ago. Because from what I have seen, once you have to react to spread (which is what every state has done since the beginning), it is already too late.

TrainsOfDisney

I would seriously like to know what could have been done to stop this trend, say...4 weeks ago..5 weeks ago. Because from what I have seen, once you have to react to spread (which is what every state has done since the beginning), it is already too late.
What should have been done is restrictions should not have been lifted back in May. Masks and social distancing should have stayed in place along with limited capacity in all public spaces including transportation.

mmascari

Based on the people that I work with and converse with everyday.... it seems the majority are against mask and vaccine requirements.
The split is highly localized.

Some of us rarely interact with anyone we know that isn't vaccinated.

We may still interact with random strangers that aren't vaccinated. Statistics tells us that we must be. Even in my county that's 70% one does and 65% both for all residents. Statistics says even when I'm interacting with people 12 and over, some of them must not be vaccinated. I rarely interact with under 12, since they're not vaccinated, and large part of the gap that's left. 0-16 are 22% of our population but only 7% of the vaccinated people. All the other age groups have a larger percentage of the vaccinated group than of the population. It's a weird stat, but that's how they report it. I wish they would just say X% of each age group are vaccinated, but they don't.

For instance, I drive carpool for my older kid. One kid in the carpool is only partially vaccinated and they mask up. They had scheduling and travel issues that delayed getting the vaccine while in a bubble environment. Otherwise, my kid will not hang out with anyone that's not vaccinated. Their choice, it's just to much hassle to hang out with an unvaccinated person. Might as well have a vaccine passport as far as the kid is concerned, they're asking and if the answer is wrong or you lie, they want nothing to do with you until it's fixed.

My other kid is 11 for a little longer, youngest end of the grade. It's very on their terrified of needles mind to get vaccinated ASAP. They do not want to be the only kid at school not vaccinated. Suck it up and push the terror down, they're demanding to get the vaccine as fast as possible after their birthday.

mmascari

New email just went out at work, I believe we've had a lot of cases over the past few weeks. Definitely will make it an inconvenience to not be vaccinated!
  • Every person who works at the office will be asked to provide proof that they have been vaccinated.
  • Anyone who is not fully vaccinated must get tested for COVID-19 twice a week.
Let us know when they start charging the employees for those twice a week tests.

My guess is the company pays in the beginning, but after a few weeks starts to rethink the spending. It may depend on the perceived value of the employees who need the testing. Nothing makes you look less useful than requiring special extra testing with 8 to 10 tests a month.

TrainsOfDisney

The split is highly localized.

Some of us rarely interact with anyone we know that isn't vaccinated.
In the last few months I’ve worked in Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio, Minnesota, and Michigan. I haven’t noticed any major differences from one location to another. If you only interact with people inside of a vacinated bubble maybe you don’t realize how big the divide is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
CA
1629229561443.png

TX
1629229588405.png

NY
1629229610939.png

IL
1629229634571.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What should have been done is restrictions should not have been lifted back in May. Masks and social distancing should have stayed in place along with limited capacity in all public spaces including transportation.
I’ve been thinking a lot about this…what would have been better?

now granted…this wouldn’t have happened in Florida…because one yutz is campaigning for an election that isn’t even happening now…but…

so vaccines picked up in February/March and rates peaked around may 1…but have fell off a Cliff since…

so maybe this would be the angle:

“restrictions will be eased as the virus status improves AND Vaccination levels rise…
…however restrictions Will be put back in place if the vaccination rate falls REGARDLESS of the case counts”

I know…I’m a dreamer ☁️

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Restrictions should have remained in place with their removal based on meeting vaccination goals.

For example, most Canadian provinces said that restrictions would be lifted once a sufficient percentage of the population got their vaccine.

Simple. Effective. Based on the vaccines offering a level of safety. Not based on an arbitrary date or just because people were sick of masks.

LaughingGravy

Based on the people that I work with and converse with everyday.... it seems the majority are against mask and vaccine requirements.
I think they may be against it, but depending on their employers or other places they may want to go, they may need to comply in the coming months, especially if they want to go to concerts, shows, some restaurants, stores, or even hospitals or funeral homes.

TrainsOfDisney

Restrictions should have remained in place with their removal based on meeting vaccination goals.

For example, most Canadian provinces said that restrictions would be lifted once a sufficient percentage of the population got their vaccine.

Simple. Effective. Based on the vaccines offering a level of safety. Not based on an arbitrary date or just because people were sick of masks.
Exactly. That’s how it was advertised at first and then suddenly the CDC did a total 180 and said Hakuna Matatta have fun.

Heppenheimer

Its more a question of what could have been done a year ago. For starters, COVID did not need to be politicized. Leaders should have engaged with their citizens in an honest, adult manner, rather than talk down to their basest instincts (and to be fair, in no way was Florida alone in this error).

And vaccine passports should have been in the works from the beginning, and able to go live once everyone had a reasonable chance to receive the vaccines. But Florida killed that idea early, thus setting the expectation that vaccination was only a matter of personal choice, not a necessary public health tool.

The root of today's COVID explosion didn't begin 4 or 5 weeks ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup, fighting COVID with Freedom... seems to be working out great.
Of course it works…100% political targeted to the lowest common neuron denominator…what could go wrong?
Well that’s the big question? And we still struggle with pro-active as opposed to reactive. It’s a tough habit to break.

I think most can now agree that Florida/Texas/et al’s “power through it stance” was a huge mistake. Perhaps more distance, testing and vaccine push would have flattened this out by now??

that’s a calculation risk often taken…delta just wasn’t having it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom