Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

I’m not in Austin, and my family is in no need of fertility services. But a quick and cursory scan of her tweets and support of this vaccine and women’s health/rights puts her in a seemingly reasonable position to make the arguments posted:

Pretty good rundown about why it’s not likely to be a big deal. From a fertility physician.

TrainsOfDisney

In hindsight everything worked out. Did you feel this way going into the shutdowns?
Yes and no. I took a big hit at the beginning as everyone did. Eventually the sba covered that. But even if they hadn’t I would have survived.

I feel like most businesses could have survived if they had just pivoted. I don’t feel bad that Kodak and Blockbuster went out of business cause they refused to admit that times were changing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes and no. I took a big hit at the beginning as everyone did. Eventually the sba covered that. But even if they hadn’t I would have survived.

I feel like most businesses could have survived if they had just pivoted. I don’t feel bad that Kodak and Blockbuster went out of business cause they refused to admit that times were changing.
The sad truth is some businesses couldn’t or wouldn’t pivot. Sometimes it’s hard to say which one and in most cases was a mix. It‘s also a fact that many small businesses (and some large corporations like your examples) go bankrupt every year. It’s impossible to really say one way or the other if the businesses that went under in the last 18 months would have survived without required shutdowns or capacity limits. It’s likely some would have and others would have gone under anyway. It’s also very likely that many of the businesses that went under suffered as much or more from the pandemic itself vs forced limitations. We can look at the number of businesses that failed and say it’s up from previous years but it’s not accurate to say all those extra failures were related to government imposed restrictions. Some would have happened anyway because people were doing less. How many small businesses in FL went under since last September when all state level restrictions were lifted? This pandemic was devastating for certain areas of the economy.

Heppenheimer

Source?

I question how this is even remotely true as those lipids will fuse with subcutaneous tissue of your shoulder and once fused are unlikely to unfuse from those cells. Also that subcutaneous tissue is non mobile.

I can’t think of a reason why they would concentrate in the ovaries.
See the excellent video above. It was in a rat study where they were given a dose of the lipids at a much higher dose than humans receive (so on a weight-adjusted scale, about a factor of 1,0000 greater). And then of course, the antivaxxers misinterpreted it and ran with it. Once again, using the classic canard of "How do we know this won't cause...?"

You are probably correct that in the dose given to humans, the lipids probably don't distribute throughout the body. The particles are needed as a delivery vector for the mRNA, so they likely fuse and become incorporated into the muscle cells membranes. Not that it would even matter one way or the other.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaccine news -

I know it’s not enough….I know cases are raging, but can we take just a moment to pause and be at least slightly happy about this:)

My faith in the vaccines has never faltered and now more than ever we need more people vaccinated. It’s encouraging to see vaccination rates going up again. We are just under 70% of eligible Americans with at least 1 shot. We have 80M more people to go. Hopefully more employers get on board and once kids are fully approved more schools and select public venues start requiring it as well.

Touchdown

See the excellent video above. It was in a rat study where they were given a dose of the lipids at a much higher dose than humans receive (so on a weight-adjusted scale, about a factor of 1,0000 greater).

You are probably correct that in the dose given to humans, the lipids probably don't distribute throughout the body. Not that it would even matter.
(I knew it wasnt true, but didn’t want to come off as rude)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The sad truth is some businesses couldn’t or wouldn’t pivot. Sometimes it’s hard to say which one and in most cases was a mix. It‘s also a fact that many small businesses (and some large corporations like your examples) go bankrupt every year. It’s impossible to really say one way or the other if the businesses that went under in the last 18 months would have survived without required shutdowns or capacity limits. It’s likely some would have and others would have gone under anyway. It’s also very likely that many of the businesses that went under suffered as much or more from the pandemic itself vs forced limitations. We can look at the number of businesses that failed and say it’s up from previous years but it’s not accurate to say all those extra failures were related to government imposed restrictions. Some would have happened anyway because people were doing less. How many small businesses in FL went under since last September when all state level restrictions were lifted? This pandemic was devastating for certain areas of the economy.

Did these businesses die "from" covid or "with" covid. ;)

Disney Experience

I am pretty sure that claim has been debunked...

They also used absolute risk reduction instead of relative risk reduction. Using absolute risk has value and have read papers contrasting it to relative risk. But when they downplay a vaccine’s effectiveness because it only had a 5% ARR (Absolute Risk Reduction), I believe they chose to use it because the public conflates it with Relative Risk. They are trying to deceive the general public.

example: Assume the public has a 5.5% chance of getting a disease. If a vaccine has a ARR of 5% then they will only have a 0.5% risk of getting the disease if vaccinated. The relative risk on the otherhand is reduced 11 fold( or a relative risk reduction of 90.9% ). ( my math may be off a little). Saying 5% ARR makes it sound like the vaccine is ineffective when it may be very effective.

I will link someday a paper filled with equations for those few who want to get a more accurate understanding.

correcaminos

Do a quick google search and you should be able to find information on this.

I only heard about this recommendation the other day and I found it to be a little scary. I never said it was sketchy. I’m not sure why my concern for myself or anyone else would be considered hurtful, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Also please note, I am NOT an anti-vaxxer. Not that it's anybody's business but I’m fully vaccinated and so is everyone in my family who is able to be. To assume otherwise is really a bit of a reach and part of the problem with social media.
Never said you weren't vaccinated so do not put words in my mouth. Thanks.

If you don't understand why regurgitating anti-vax rhetoric is hurtful, I don't know what to say. There are many who vaccinated who still share comments that spread distrust. Right now we need to come together and not post negatives as you did when medical professionals told you otherwise.

For the record, you shared info and someone asked for proof. Just share it and don't put the burden of proof on them. That's also a tactic that never helps.

Again if you don't understand why it is bad,I'm not sure I can help you. Just know it is and think twice before relaying some information that causes distrust.

correcaminos

I'm influenced by the disturbing news about the recent Carnival cruise ship at Belize. 27 persons ( 26 crew, 1 guest ) who have been previously vaccinated tested positive for covid and are in quarantine on the ship. Won't be seeing me set foot on a cruise ship in the distant future.
At least they are all asymptomatic or mild.

I am not a cruiser either just stating a good thing. I refuse to step foot on cruises for other reasons.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks to be following the more infectious/less fatal trend found in the UK. More infectious/less fatal is a sign of an adapting virus. Could it possibly the virus is evolving in response to pressure applied by the vaccine?

Since death rates (and hospitalization rates) are spiking with the case rate... no. This wave isn't less fatal. Compared to were we were before Delta, it's clear that Delta is way more harmful and fatal. Florida, e.g....

1628887291757.png

Polkadotdress

I'm influenced by the disturbing news about the recent Carnival cruise ship at Belize. 27 persons ( 26 crew, 1 guest ) who have been previously vaccinated tested positive for covid and are in quarantine on the ship. Won't be seeing me set foot on a cruise ship in the distant future.
Given that these were primarily crew, one could ascertain that the PPE/mask wearing is probably a little lax in their backstage/crew areas.

Polkadotdress

Googling says it's one of those things being claimed by Dr. Robert Malone. Another one of those conspiracy things shrouded in legitimate sounding language, by legitimate sounding people, being promoted by certain elements to sew discord and confusion at the cost of some people's lives.
Robert Malone, although an important figure in the world of MRNA vaccines, has become quite controversial and has aligned himself with alt-right/anti-vax nonsense.

An important highlight from this article:
“In that alternate media universe, Robert Malone’s star is ascendant. He started popping up on podcasts and cable news shows a few months ago, presented as a scientific expert, arguing that the approval process for the vaccines had been unwisely rushed. He told Tucker Carlson that the public doesn’t have enough information to decide whether to get vaccinated. He told Glenn Beck that offering incentives for taking vaccines is unethical. He told Del Bigtree, an anti-vaccine activist who opposes common childhood inoculations, that there hadn’t been sufficient research on how the vaccines might affect women’s reproductive systems. On show after show, Malone, who has quickly amassed more than 200,000 Twitter followers, casts doubt on the safety of the vaccines while decrying what he sees as attempts to censor dissent.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom