Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

I’m not a doctor, but I have a hard time believing we’re going to use human behavior, or mask away, a virus that is as transmissible as chickenpox. Increasing vaccination rates will certainly help, but you’ll never vaccinate 100% of the world population. How do you totally eradicate a virus worldwide that’s this transmissible?
Vaccination is part of that human behavior. Cases of chickenpox have dropped significantly. Per that same CDC presentation that equates Delta to chickenpox, polio is nearly as contagious and is very close to eradication. Measles is much more contagious and has been eliminated in the US. COVID-19 has the challenges of pre- and asymptomatic spread but that doesn’t mean significantly curtailing is impossible and should not be a goal.

The flu is reasonably harmful. In normal years, it kills tens of thousands of people in the US alone. While COVID-19 seems to be more transmissible, the fact that we have effective vaccines (right now) means we could get COVID-19 down to the level of influenza with the necessary vaccination levels. People will still die from it, though… people die from viruses.
This is still a problematic scenario for at least some time moving forward. Hospitals already hit moments of being full and generally have greater occupancy in the winter. Adding another disease on top will still strain resources.

correcaminos

If I remember correctly you got a pfizer booster shot. When may I ask do you go back to see how you are doing?
Yes, from the paper work I have it'd just a 3rd dose of the previous shots too. I have a follow up appointment next week (one month post shot) and then one 5 months after that. I do get followed for a full year with a blood draw also at the end. I do weekly diaries too.

bryanfze55

Vaccination is part of that human behavior. Cases of chickenpox have dropped significantly. Per that same CDC presentation that equates Delta to chickenpox, polio is nearly as contagious and is very close to eradication. Measles is much more contagious and has been eliminated in the US. COVID-19 has the challenges of pre- and asymptomatic spread but that doesn’t mean significantly curtailing is impossible and should not be a goal.

This is still a problematic scenario for at least some time moving forward. Hospitals already hit moments of being full and generally have greater occupancy in the winter. Adding another disease on top will still strain resources.
I agree with this actually. That is why I keep saying we need to prepare for the virus to become endemic and particularly for the instances in which COVID-19 spikes could overlap with flu season. For most of us that are vaccinated, this will be the biggest personal obstacle going forward: making sure there is sufficient capacity to care for people with non-COVID medical issues during times of COVID spike.

hopemax

This is one of the things that I don't think people can conceptualize. They say, "it will be like flu." But if you have two diseases of a similar incident rate, where once was one, you've doubled the strain on the system. Hospitals, doctors, kids out sick (and parents who have to take PTO to care for them) etc. It won't be as smooth of a situation as people assume.

willtravel

Yes, from the paper work I have it'd just a 3rd dose of the previous shots too. I have a follow up appointment next week (one month post shot) and then one 5 months after that. I do get followed for a full year with a blood draw also at the end. I do weekly diaries too.
Are you able to say from your blood work how much of a change there was from your 2nd shot and before you got your 3rd shot?

correcaminos

Are you able to say from your blood work how much of a change there was from your 2nd shot and before you got your 3rd shot?
I don't get the results. Technically this is blinded, but they know we'll figure out what we got based on past reactions. I never did get any results from the first trial. This one though, if I wanted my covid test results I could request before the trial ends. But blood work results I will not get.

Lady Liberty

Who are you referring to? Could you give a few examples?

Do a quick google search and you should be able to find information on this.
Why is the pregnancy comment taken harshly? Doctors and FDA and all that say it is safe. You come in here saying it was sketchy IIRC was the term. That rhetoric is hurtful and what the conspiracy theorists who are anti-vax try to say.

I only heard about this recommendation the other day and I found it to be a little scary. I never said it was sketchy. I’m not sure why my concern for myself or anyone else would be considered hurtful, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Also please note, I am NOT an anti-vaxxer. Not that it's anybody's business but I’m fully vaccinated and so is everyone in my family who is able to be. To assume otherwise is really a bit of a reach and part of the problem with social media.

Patcheslee

My kids are going into middle school and high school this year. Both have an orientation next week. In both cases they uninvited parents and are limiting it to just kids so they can do better distancing. Masks are required for all kids and staff at all times as they will be once school starts. It’s crazy to me that after all this time people don’t get it.
I've seen some local posts others are sharing on FB of a parent from the town north of us. The district is requiring masks now after a few school board meetings. Parents are in an uproar even more now that a "doctor" spoke against masks at a now viral video.
Anyways a middle schooler has been kicked out after refusing to wear a mask, and they're parents are proud? I get speaking up for yourself but at the same time these parents have the option to do virtual or even home school. Not the greatest for some kids, but that argument could go both directions. I thought we were supposed to teach kids there are reasonable ways to object and try to change something. Like when schools had dress codes kids and parents didn't agree with, it was taken to the school board and reasonable objections were presented. That didn't mean until it changed, kids were able to break the dress code without consequences.

mmascari

I only heard about this recommendation the other day and I found it to be a little scary. I never said it was sketchy. I’m not sure why my concern for myself or anyone else would be considered hurtful, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Also please note, I am NOT an anti-vaxxer. Not that it's anybody's business but I’m fully vaccinated and so is everyone in my family who is able to be. To assume otherwise is really a bit of a reach and part of the problem with social media.
Definitely a communication problem. You're not an anti-vaxxer and you're vaccinated, but both of those are anti-vaxxer talking points.

They're also both half truths and twisting of facts without context trying to create meaning that's the reverse of what we know.

Maybe there are so many no vaxers because of those who were so against the vaccines when they first came out. If you look back a few months and remember who the people were that said they would never get the vaccine you will see that those same people are now in prominent positions and are now pushing the vaccine. Interesting how in a few months time they have changed their minds and want everyone to get vaxed. I guess this is a perfect example of being careful of what you say because it can come back and bite you.
No google search will turn this up. At best you'll find opinion pieces saying that someone else, not the opinion piece author, fits that scenario. But drilling down to what that is based on will find that the opinion piece is itself the same twisting of statement and removal of context to create a different message than was actually being communicated.

Nubs70

It has been shown that the lipid nanoparticles that encase the mRNA do concentrate in the ovaries which was not envisioned in the original trial plan.

What is the outcome of this finding? Noone knows at this point.

mmascari

The district is requiring masks loin cloths now after a few school board meetings. Parents are in an uproar even more now that a "doctor" spoke against masks loin cloths at a now viral video.
Anyways a middle schooler has been kicked out after refusing to wear a mask loin cloth, and they're parents are proud?
Much better. 😂

Typically, a kid with no loin cloth just letting it all show wouldn't be allowed in the building for sanitary reasons. People these days and their free wheeling....... 😉

lazyboy97o

only heard about this recommendation the other day and I found it to be a little scary. I never said it was sketchy. I’m not sure why my concern for myself or anyone else would be considered hurtful, I think that is a bit of a stretch. Also please note, I am NOT an anti-vaxxer. Not that it's anybody's business but I’m fully vaccinated and so is everyone in my family who is able to be. To assume otherwise is really a bit of a reach and part of the problem with social media.
Just because you are vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t be influenced by anti-vaxxers and spread their bunk.

Last edited:

Touchdown

It has been shown that the lipid nanoparticles that encase the mRNA do concentrate in the ovaries which was not envisioned in the original trial plan.

Source?

I question how this is even remotely true as those lipids will fuse with subcutaneous tissue of your shoulder and once fused are unlikely to unfuse from those cells. Also that subcutaneous tissue is non mobile.

I can’t think of a reason why they would concentrate in the ovaries.

hopemax

Source?

I question how this is even remotely true as those lipids will fuse with subcutaneous tissue of your shoulder and once fused are unlikely to unfuse from those cells. Also that subcutaneous tissue is non mobile.

I can’t think of a reason why they would concentrate in the ovaries.
Googling says it's one of those things being claimed by Dr. Robert Malone. Another one of those conspiracy things shrouded in legitimate sounding language, by legitimate sounding people, being promoted by certain elements to sew discord and confusion at the cost of some people's lives.

mmascari

I’m not a doctor, but I have a hard time believing we’re going to use human behavior, or mask away, a virus that is as transmissible as chickenpox. Increasing vaccination rates will certainly help, but you’ll never vaccinate 100% of the world population. How do you totally eradicate a virus worldwide that’s this transmissible?

Again, I fully admit I’m not a scientist or doctor. And you are technically correct that “we don’t know yet.” That logic could be applied to anything. But in reading the literature, it appears to be widely believed by the scientific community that COVID-19 will become endemic… modest spread in vulnerable communities at certain times, but much more manageable than the pandemic level we have gotten used to.

You’re right, and I may have inappropriately used the word “consensus.” However, you also understand the general point that it is widely believed it will become endemic. Why not prepare for that outcome?
Endemic where?
Everywhere, any place you might visit anywhere in the world?
In some countries as others successfully drive transmission below levels that sustain the virus?
In the US?
In the UK?
In richer countries?
In poorer countries?

Context matters a lot here. So do the preparations.

TB is endemic in many countries. But, in the US it's so rare and able to spot and trace infections fast enough that we don't even require the vaccine for everyone.

Measles is endemic in some countries. It's mostly gone in the US through high vaccination rates. Pops up now and then, but fizzles out quickly because of the high vaccination rate.

In the US, if COVID ends up like measles, that would be good.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am pretty sure that claim has been debunked...

Lilofan

Just because you are vaccinated doesn’t mean you can’t be influenced by anti-vaxxers and spread their bunk.
I'm influenced by the disturbing news about the recent Carnival cruise ship at Belize. 27 persons ( 26 crew, 1 guest ) who have been previously vaccinated tested positive for covid and are in quarantine on the ship. Won't be seeing me set foot on a cruise ship in the distant future.

seascape

The Rt number for Florida is under 1 now, which is another indicator the peak is near. The UF study, led by Dr. Ira Longini, on this suggested around August 18th is when the cases should peak.

This is the graph of Longini's model

I certainly hope this graph is right. We are scheduled to start our anniversary trip on September 17th. My wife is concerned about the latest increase in cases but just had an antibody test to see if she still has antibodies. She was completely vaccinated in February and fortunately she has them. Taking this a step forward, my biggest complaint in the testing protocols is that no one is automatically tested to see if they have antibodies. However, the state of NY is still asking everyone to take the Covid19 test, even if they were vaccinated. WRONG, EVERYONE SHOULD BE TESTED FOR ANTIBODIES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom