Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

It seems pretty logical that masks help no matter what. Basic social distancing as well.
Neither of which are likely in schools this fall. I know social distancing straight up won’t happen in my district - even the 3 feet. Everyone is going back in 5 days, and there's simply not enough room in the buildings to bring everyone back and have any kind of distancing. and IMO the writing is on the wall for masks being gone by fall too.

StaceyH_SD

I would just like to point out for those insisting that Delta is overblown that hospitalizations and deaths lag cases by weeks. And US cases are only just starting to go up. So you can’t say yet that Delta is “overblown” or that there won’t be many hospitalized or dying. Check back in 3 weeks and we’ll see where things are.

In addition, case numbers are going to vary wildly around the country since vaccination rates are all over the place. So, yeah, Vermont probably won’t be too bad since like 80% of the people there are vaccinated. Mississippi, southern Missouri, and Florida otoh? They’ve got problems.

Finally, getting back to Disney. I doubt they’re going to change what they’re doing. They might be a little more forceful in their messaging that if you’re not vaccinated you should be wearing a mask indoors but I don’t see them going back to it being a requirement that everybody wears masks indoors. Maybe they’ll go back to more distancing in restaurants or something like that but I doubt anything more than that.

Lilofan

I would just like to point out for those insisting that Delta is overblown that hospitalizations and deaths lag cases by weeks. And US cases are only just starting to go up. So you can’t say yet that Delta is “overblown” or that there won’t be many hospitalized or dying. Check back in 3 weeks and we’ll see where things are.

In addition, case numbers are going to vary wildly around the country since vaccination rates are all over the place. So, yeah, Vermont probably won’t be too bad since like 80% of the people there are vaccinated. Mississippi, southern Missouri, and Florida otoh? They’ve got problems.

Finally, getting back to Disney. I doubt they’re going to change what they’re doing. They might be a little more forceful in their messaging that if you’re not vaccinated you should be wearing a mask indoors but I don’t see them going back to it being a requirement that everybody wears masks indoors. Maybe they’ll go back to more distancing in restaurants or something like that but I doubt anything more than that.
For anyone who doesn't think the hospitals will be stressed beyond capacity I saw it with my own eyes yesterday. I'm praying for my elderly mom and am with her during allowed hours , to get the medical assistance she needs when she went to the ER due to left side chest pains. After many hours in the ER, she was on a stretcher in a very crowded hallway and every inch of hallway space was crowded with stretcher beds. The line to get into the ER stretched outside in the heat. She is now in a cardiac wing in a private room but the overcrowding of the ER is what brought the reality home to me. Get your vaccine shot and better chances to protect yourself and others for goodness sake! This is no time to distrust the medical experts.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

For anyone who doesn't think the hospitals will be stressed beyond capacity I saw it with my own eyes yesterday. I'm praying for my elderly mom and am with her during allowed hours , to get the medical assistance she needs when she went to the ER due to left side chest pains. After many hours in the ER, she was on a stretcher in a very crowded hallway and every inch of hallway space was crowded with stretcher beds. The line to get into the ER stretched outside in the heat. She is now in a cardiac wing in a private room but the overcrowding of the ER is what brought the reality home to me. Get your vaccine shot and better chances to protect yourself and others for goodness sake! This is no time to distrust the medical experts.
I can only report regional trends on this matter, but ER visits and hospitalizations have spiked around here (northern New England), and the reason is not directly related to COVID., since the actual COVID numbers aren't large. If there is a theme, it seems to be partially a matter of the indirect consequences of "deferred health maintenance" from the pandemic on top of normal ER volume. Many people avoided medical appointments or had their usual daily health maintenance activities disrupted by the pandemic, and now we're seeing the delayed result. Psych caseloads are particularly high.

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume other regions of the country are seeing a similar pattern. Our high vaccination rate up here will probably prevent a COVID surge from overwhelming the hospitals, but other parts of the country will unfortunately need to sleep in the bed they made for themselves.

Last edited:

seascape

The numbers are getting worse and worse daily. The US is up to an average of 8 per 100k. California is at 7 and Florida at 24. I know I am relatively safe but that doesn't matter. We need to take action to fix this now. Don't reinstate restrictions for those who have done the right thing and taken the vaccine but do something to encourage those who haven't to take it. PEOPLE LISTEN IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN THE VACCINE YET GET IT. IF NOT FOR YOU DO IT FOR YOUR KIDS AND GRANDCHILDREN. YOUR GETTING SICK AND HAVING THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PAY FOR IT MEANS FUTURE GENERATIONS WILL PAY FOR YOUR STUPIDITY. TAKE THE SHOT, WASH YOUR HANDS AND STAY HOME IF SICK. DO IT FOR YOUR KIDS.

Bob Harlem

Well you can do that in the UK, Spain, France and a few other European countries and see that hasn't happened. Also easy to compare to prior spikes in the US (Including the one last July). It is overblown, not nonexistent, but definitely much less severe (case count doesn't show severity) in general compared to other instances. India (Which has fallen sharply since the spike), and Indonesia are a bit different.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

I hope NJ and NY has rules for this fall as the students will return to school for in-person, as COVID-19 won't get huge spike by fall/winter. I'm scared about this.:eek:

Lilofan

I can only report regional trends on this matter, but ER visits and hospitalizations have spiked around here (northern New England), and the reason is not directly related to COVID., since the actual COVID numbers aren't large. If there is a theme, it seems to be partially a matter of the indirect consequences of "deferred health maintenance" from the pandemic on top of normal ER volume. Many people avoided medical appointments or had their usual daily health maintenance activities disrupted by the pandemic, and now we're seeing the result. Psych caseloads are particularly high.

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume other regions of the country are seeing a similar pattern. Our high vaccination rate up here will probably prevent a COVID surge from overwhelming the hospitals, but other parts of the country will unfortunately need to sleep in the bed they made for themselves.
Case in point , the state of Mississippi. Over 90% currently of covid cases are of unvaccinated residents including some young children in intensive care.

Heppenheimer

Interesting study out of Europe. It appears having your annual influenza vaccine may protect you against some of the more severe consequences of COVID-19:

This is now less relevant for the US, Canada and western Europe, where the supply of highly effective COVID is mostly adequate for the task currently. But it could provide a temporary stop-gap for countries that so far lack adequate supplies. Given our low rates of annual influenza vaccination in the US, however, I doubt anyone who would refuse the COVID vaccines would opt instead for the flu shot.

It will be interesting to see if the same results hold for those who are fully COVID vaccinated and they receive extra protection from adverse outcomes. The numbers might be too low to reach statistical significance, however.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

So Pfizer is developing a delta variant booster. The current booster trial they are in the middle of is not that booster rather the original vaccine design. But they are working on a booster designed against the delta spike.

correcaminos

Q
So Pfizer is developing a delta variant booster. The current booster trial they are in the middle of is not that booster rather the original vaccine design. But they are working on a booster designed against the delta spike.

That's what I was called and posted about 2 days ago. Still not scheduled or anything though. They asked if I was free next week but no call back.

Heppenheimer

At the present time, this seems more proactive than reactive. Good if we end up needing it.

ImperfectPixie

As I said in another post, the 150 million unvaccinated Americans are a tiny fraction of the billions unvaccinated around the world. Any "boogie man" mutation is far more likely to come from somewhere else.
I'm aware of that. Do you think it would be easier and faster to try to get everyone to wear masks and social distance again, or to just close our borders? We need to quash the viruses ability to create a worse mutation wherever we can.

Heppenheimer

As I said in another post, the 150 million unvaccinated Americans are a tiny fraction of the billions unvaccinated around the world. Any "boogie man" mutation is far more likely to come from somewhere else.
Except, we've had the highest documented caseloads in the world. And we seem to have a unique national preference of trying to fight the virus with Constitutional arguments, rather than tried-and-true public health measures. I wouldn't rule out a variant of concern arising here if we continue down the same "well, good enough" or "...but, my rights!" approach.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Except, we've had the highest documented caseloads in the world. And we seem to have a unique national preference of trying to fight the virus with Constitutional arguments, rather than tried-and-true public health measures. I wouldn't rule out a variant of concern arising here if we continue down the same "well, good enough" approach.
And if you look at that Reuters page I posted yesterday, the increases aren't looking good. Hospitalizations and deaths are up in a lot of states, too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah I guess I just find it weird that every time we have a new strain we get a massive amount of data pouring in about its effect on the vaccine.

What I have not seen is any updated info on how effective masks are.

People will be sending their kids to school soon wearing masks hoping they are safe.

They may not be safe at all from Delta.

Determining the efficacy of a vaccine is much easier then for a mask. The evidence for the efficacy of masks comes from a combination of numerous studies, some that studied how masks blocked respiratory droplets in a laboratory settings, some that looked at specific real-work situations that happened to be controlled enough to show useful data.

It's very hard to do controlled studies for mask wearing. With the vaccine, you give on group of people the vaccine and another a placebo and then compare the number of people who get sick. It's a lot harder to do that with masks, especially when we were in a time where mask wearing was mandatory in so many public places.

The "best" way to test this would be to have known infected people, breath on healthy people with and without masks and then count how many of them become sick. These are called Challenge trials, and although they are no unheard of, you can understand why they are uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom