Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

it’s a mixed picture here. We have the uk but it’s four regions are on different trajectories. Scotland and England have seen the biggest rises over the last 6-8 weeks or so, with Wales and Northern Ireland faring much better. Now Scotland has peaked hopefully possibly due to not only their schools closing for the summer last week (so no mass in school testing as we are doing) but also they went out the euros tournament so less people in pubs!

england seems to have alpen down a bit - but our schools are still in and we are in the semi finals of the euros - so not holding my breath really. Our cases won’t go down for another 2/4 weeks imo

norrhene Ireland and Wales are now on the steep upwards curve that we were unfortunately so May take longer to peak

the worst thing is we have 635,000 students out of school right now with only 4% of them ever having a positive test. Our rules around bubbles abs isolation are causing chaos! As a teacher I’ll be very glad when the term ends for everyone’s sake especially as our rules on isolation are changing for next term which will hopefully make things a lot smoother
Help a yank out... what are your school schedules? As in when do terms start and end? We're on summer break here.

I saw this that looked promising too. I don't mean to diminish cases but if the vaccine helps keep deaths and hospitalizations low (virtually nil preferred) then it did its job IMO

edywjpz.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So due to the holiday the CDC never updated the site yesterday so this is the closest we have to data as of July 4.

DF0715F6-85A0-483D-B3CC-FA0370252686.png

So we got to 67.1% of adults with 1 shot by July 4….2.9% or about 7.5M adults short of the goal. The administration did say they expect to get to 70% by the end of July so we will have to wait and see. We did get to 55% of the total population with 1 dose and 55% of eligible people fully vaccinated for what it‘s worth. At this point the pace has slowed to a trickle but will likely continue through the Summer into the Fall and then we have kids under 12 approved. I’m not sure much more can be done to encourage vaccination. I think people have to decide for themselves and hopefully more will.

correcaminos

The other thing that could help is to have walk-in hours and advertise clearly which vaccine is available. Some people want or need to choose a vaccine and the process can still be a bit confusing.

I’m not saying that would make all the difference, but I think it could help.
Another issue still would help those who cannot afford time off work or do not have easy transportation or childcare. Mostly I think we need people to speak out more about facts in ways they'd listen..... but hopefully FDA approval will get more.

Flugell

The other thing that could help is to have walk-in hours and advertise clearly which vaccine is available. Some people want or need to choose a vaccine and the process can still be a bit confusing.

Anything must be worth a try!

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Our county sites all accept walk ins any day now and list which vaccine is available at each site. The county is only doing JnJ and Pfizer so they have to list which one is available at the site because only Pfizer is approved for under 18. I haven’t seen what the pharmacies are doing now. They would have the same issue for kids under 18.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

I can only speak for central Florida, but almost every pharmacy takes walk-ins and has prominent signs advertising that fact.

Salted Nut Roll

Loving the dogs but to put it on a Disney theme, this is our Shiba Inu dressed in her Minnie Mouse outfit bought in Magic Kingdom!View attachment 569912

Shibas are the best! Here's Misty. She doesn't have a Disney costume, but in her dragon harness, she could be totally Elliott from Pete's Dragon. This is from her first Halloween with us, when she was two years old. She'd only been with us for a week at this point.
misty_dragon.jpg

And here she is now a few years later, living her best life at the dog park! Hard to believe she's the same dog. She's gained so much muscle (and a liiiiittle fluff!) and confidence since she first arrived!

misty_park.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

I see signs that say walk-ins accepted but I haven’t seen signs that say which vaccine they have. Maybe it’s not really an issue, was just thinking the easier and simpler it is, the better it will be.

It’s still weird how the CDC and the President himself says “get your vaccine! It works!” But then the actual paperwork says “this may work there is no FDA approved vaccine”

Flugell

Shibas are the best! Here's Misty. She doesn't have a Disney costume, but in her dragon harness, she could be totally Elliott from Pete's Dragon. This is from her first Halloween with us, when she was two years old. She'd only been with us for a week at this point.
View attachment 570052

And here she is now a few years later, living her best life at the dog park! Hard to believe she's the same dog. She's gained so much muscle (and a liiiiittle fluff!) and confidence since she first arrived!

View attachment 570053
She is beautiful and looks very happy and content. You’re correct Shibas are wonderful! She looks as cute as Elliot in her photo!

lisa12000

Help a yank out... what are your school schedules? As in when do terms start and end? We're on summer break here.

I saw this that looked promising too. I don't mean to diminish cases but if the vaccine helps keep deaths and hospitalizations low (virtually nil preferred) then it did its job IMO

View attachment 570039
We go first week September to December, jan to week before Easter abs then post Easter until the third week of July ;with a weeks half term in the middle of all of these. Most schools will finish any time between 16th abd 23rd July.

And yes I agree I’m not too worried about cases although inevitably it means the other metrics go up somewhat - but we can’t keep living under lockdown as is the thoughts of our PM hence come 19th July all bets are off and we get a lot of freedom back

Wendy Pleakley

Since I can't read the article, does it say to what degree COVID is impacting them?

Regardless of that factor, perhaps this will be a wakeup call for those unwilling to have their children mask, lest they be seen as "mean" or treating them "unfairly".

Disney Analyst

Since I can't read the article, does it say to what degree COVID is impacting them?

Regardless of that factor, perhaps this will be a wakeup call for those unwilling to have their children mask, lest they be seen as "mean" or treating them "unfairly".

I was able to put the article in reader view to access:

“Children younger than 12, the only portion of the population that cannot be protected by a COVID-19 vaccine, now make up a growing share of new coronavirus cases in Florida.

This young age group experienced a 52% increase in new cases for the week ending July 1 from a week earlier — rising to 1,471 cases from 968. The average increase across all age groups was 35%.

Test positivity increased 46% in Florida children under 12 over the last week, the highest percentage increase of all age categories.
Children, however, still represent only about 9% of new COVID cases in Florida, and it’s too early to tell whether the rise will continue into future weeks.

“This is the group we have to keep our eyes on because they can’t be protected through vaccination,” said Jason Salemi, associate professor of epidemiology at the University of South Florida.

On the heels of a holiday weekend, public health experts will track new cases and hospitalizations closely, particularly with evidence that the Delta variant has made its way into 34 counties in Florida. Children remain at far less risk than adults for severe complications or death from COVID-19. Nationwide, fewer than 2% of pediatric COVID-19 cases have led to hospitalizations.

But because young children are ineligible for vaccination, they are susceptible to the highly contagious Delta variant. So far, 30 children who are 12 or under have been infected by the Delta variant in Florida, and none of them were hospitalized, state records show.

“We will have to see if this is a one-week blip or a long-term increase resulting from the Delta variant’s increase in prevalence in the state,” Salemi said. “We will have to continue to monitor.”

Nicole Slilat of Cooper City says she’s not taking risks.

Slilat drove her children to New Jersey this week instead of flying out of concern her 11-year-old son Ethan has not been vaccinated. Her 13-year-old daughter Maya has not been vaccinated yet, but will be before school starts, Slilat said.

“I feel guilty ... one I can protect and the other I cannot,” she said. “We all go out and have a great time and I am not fearful because I am vaccinated, but if someone gets sick, it’s likely it will be him.”

In Florida, teens ages 12 to 19 had the highest positivity rate of any age group during the past week at 6.7%. Only the most heavily vaccinated subgroups — 50 and older — had a positivity less than 5%

Pediatricians say they are seeing an uptick in patients testing positive.

“What I tell parents is although children don’t tend to get as sick as grandparents, they can still get sick,” said Dr. Tommy Schechtman, president and CEO of Pediatric Partners in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter and Boca Raton. “Everyone needs to practice good public health measures when someone in the family is not vaccinated.”

With the Delta variant, symptoms differ from the original strain of COVID-19 and may resemble a bad cold with a runny nose and sore throat. Schechtman advises parents to proceed as if a child who has these symptoms has COVID unless they receive a negative test result.
Schechtman says the more Floridians who get vaccinated, the more children will be protected from COVID. “Hopefully by fall they will be able to lower the age limit,” he said. “But in the meantime, we’ll all need to practice good techniques to keep our children safe.”

Tony the Tigger

Well, as they say, that escalated quickly:

And it was very predictable - just like it’s predictable we are unlikely to see a downturn in cases after a holiday weekend.

But apparently people wearing masks are hysterical or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom