Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

Could be. It’s hard to say for sure without the stats. We know for sure that younger people make up a higher percent of people hospitalized with Covid recently and that makes sense since a higher percent of people 65+ are vaccinated. It would be really interesting to see Covid hospitalizations by age demographic.
I don't think we will ever know for sure as most sites only have data broken down by age group but not by month.

I wish they would get the message out there that younger people are getting sick. It might make them less hesitant to get vaccinated. Having cases going down is good but if you want Covid cases to stay down a high percentage needs to be vaccinated.

Figgy1

It seems a bit early to say that. People are still getting their first dose in some areas because it’s not always easy to schedule a shot around existing work / family schedules.

I’m not sure why the cdc jumped ahead the way they did but this whole thing has confused me from day 1.
In some areas even those who jumped on appointments the first day they opened in their area aren't all fully vaxxed yet. Some had to wait a couple of weeks for a slot even with taking any time that was open. Those that had to work around work had an even harder time

Lilofan

It would have driven me crazy to be a WDW Cast Member having to do the mask and the face shield all these months when we have long had the science that the face shields are essentially useless in preventing COVID-19 transmission,
It would not be an issue with me since as of last week only 53% of Orange County has been vaccinated. Locations to get the shot are already closing due to lack of participants who want to get vaccinated.

Nickp1983

Well side note. At WDW and our first dining experience was bad.

For anyone who has done dining here since the reopening. Is it rush rush rush?

Never once asked if we wanted drinks. Appetizers. Dessert. Was expected to order within 5 minutes of sitting down. Food came out in about 10 minutes (probably less).

If that is their pandemic dining policy. Totally fine. Would just like to know so we can cancel our other reservations. Better off just going to epcot each night and eating at each of the small kiosk ordering places. The scallops by Canada were really good

ElvisMickey

Never once asked if we wanted drinks. Appetizers. Dessert. Was expected to order within 5 minutes of sitting down. Food came out in about 10 minutes (probably less).

If that is their pandemic dining policy. Totally fine. Would just like to know so we can cancel our other reservations. Better off just going to epcot each night and eating at each of the small kiosk ordering places. The scallops by Canada were really good
As a local, I’ve dined several times since the’ve reopened. I haven’t been rushed once. But I’ve also never been at peak times, either. I’m typically breakfast or lunch.

Nickp1983

As a local, I’ve dined several times since the’ve reopened. I haven’t been rushed once. But I’ve also never been at peak times, either. I’m typically breakfast or lunch.
We do have lunch today at a place so hopefully it's better.

Just to book out 60 days in advance and drop 270 bucks on a dinner that last 45 minutes. Ugh... well. We got our Rise of Resistance reservations! I was totally expecting a PS5 experience and us not getting in... but boarding group 40!

DisneyDebRob

It’s exactly what we encountered a month ago at WDW. Felt rushed the first 2 dining experience’s. Felt like since they were not filling the dining room full that they would just start rushing people out. We ended up canceling every dining reservation and mobile ordering at every park. Fish and Chips at Epcot along with the food booths. Quick service other parks with the exception of Sanaa which we didn’t feel rushed whatsoever. Maybe because it’s not in the parks?

Nickp1983

It’s exactly what we encountered a month ago at WDW. Felt rushed the first 2 dining experience’s. Felt like since they were not filling the dining room full that they would just start rushing people out. We ended up canceling every dining reservation and mobile ordering at every park. Fish and Chips at Epcot along with the food booths. Quick service other parks with the exception of Sanaa which we didn’t feel rushed whatsoever.
Ugh. We have a couple expensive dinners coming up at the end of the week. I may have to talk with our group and just axe them. Is what it is and there is a bunch of other foods at epcot I want to try still.

DisneyDebRob

Ugh. We have a couple expensive dinners coming up at the end of the week. I may have to talk with our group and just axe them. Is what it is and there is a bunch of other foods at epcot I want to try still.
Being honest here, we have slowly been dwindling down our dining reservations year after year except for a few exceptions, Sanaa and Brown Derby mostly. The Derby was one of the places we felt rushed. We have enjoyed ourselves more then ever by doing this. Not only saving tons of money but we are finding that we are splitting things more.. trying more different snacks and food that we never could because we were always to full. Just my opinion but I think that’s the way we will be doing it from now on.
Everyone says the kiosks at Epcot are so expensive.. a lot of it is but we also found we tried so much different stuff both days we were there.. and both days came under 50 bucks for both of us. And we were full for the day. That’s less then a sit down meal so in reality, to us, it wasn’t bad at all. But everyone enjoys different things. Just my opinion.🙂
Ok, back to the pandemic.

Last edited:

Nickp1983

Being honest here, we have slowly been dwindling down out dining reservations year after year except for a few exceptions, Sanaa and Brown Derby mostly. The Derby was one of the places we felt rushed. We have enjoyed ourselves more then ever by doing this. Not only saving tons of money but we are finding that we are splitting things more.. trying more different snacks and food that we never could because we were always to full. Just my opinion but I think that’s the way we will be doing it from now on.
Everyone says the kiosks at Epcot are so expensive.. a lot of it is but we also found we tried so much different stuff both days we were there.. and both days came under 50 bucks for both of us. And we were full for the day. That’s less then a sit down meal so in reality, to us, it wasn’t bad at all. But everyone enjoys different things. Just my opinion.🙂
Ok, back to the pandemic.
Some of the food at the kiosks were amazing. The pork shank in Japan... I could order 4 of those and make it a dinner and get off cheaper. Win win.

ElvisMickey

We do have lunch today at a place so hopefully it's better.

Just to book out 60 days in advance and drop 270 bucks on a dinner that last 45 minutes. Ugh... well. We got our Rise of Resistance reservations! I was totally expecting a PS5 experience and us not getting in... but boarding group 40!
I totally understand! Hopefully you’ll have better dining experiences for the rest of your trip.

Awesome! Will this be your first time doing Rise?

Nickp1983

I totally understand! Hopefully you’ll have better dining experiences for the rest of your trip.

Awesome! Will this be your first time doing Rise?
Yup!
So question. My mom.. well. She has a bad back (broke it years ago and has metal bars)... AND... on Friday she fell and broke her ankle on the way to the airport.
Shes in a boot.
She good to go on this?

Chip Chipperson

It’s exactly what we encountered a month ago at WDW. Felt rushed the first 2 dining experience’s. Felt like since they were not filling the dining room full that they would just start rushing people out. We ended up canceling every dining reservation and mobile ordering at every park. Fish and Chips at Epcot along with the food booths. Quick service other parks with the exception of Sanaa which we didn’t feel rushed whatsoever. Maybe because it’s not in the parks?

I didn't have any TS meals in the parks but did have a 5 PM dinner at Topolino's in mid-May and definitely wasn't rushed. In fact, at both Topolino's and Wine Bar George our servers brought me new drinks (soda at WBG and iced tea at Topolino's) before I was even halfway done with my first.

ElvisMickey

Yup!
So question. My mom.. well. She has a bad back (broke it years ago and has metal bars)... AND... on Friday she fell and broke her ankle on the way to the airport.
Shes in a boot.
She good to go on this?
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your mom. But yes, she will be completely fine…no worries. Report back on your thoughts of the ride!

BatStang2000

We were there May 3 - May 14 and had 5 table service dining experiences. We usually try and get an earlier reservation (between 5 and 6) because that is when we would eat if we were home. Don't know if the times made a difference, but we never felt rushed and had what I would considered a great experience. We have probably cut in half our TS to save money, but usually try to eat at Sanaa and then one at each park during our visits. Hopefully your upcoming dining will be more enjoyable.

mmascari

Is it confirmed the covid is “ripping thru the unvaxxed population uncontrolled” ?

Is there real data to support that claim?

I’m not sure I agree that this is a valid way to look at the stats, but it is striking.

Yeah, it’s perplexing to see the death rate where it is. I have no idea why this is the case, but it is unexpected to me. I held off for a while even bringing it up here because I kept thinking it would drop off soon due to the lag in reporting, but by now it seems like that would have happened already, especially with over 85% of 65+ vaccinated.
I think this is where people thinking we are rushing are coming from. I know I am. Agree that it’s a trailing metric, which created two scenarios. We could scale back mitigation on the assumption it’s going to fall because we are far enough along. We could continue mitigation until it does fall, presumably longer than necessary because the fall lags. As a safety measure, I would rather be over cautious and mitigate for to long instead of chance that it’s to short

Alas, we went with the assumption. Let’s hope the plateau is a short blip and the assumption doesn’t do to us what assuming does.

Chi84

Premium Member

We were there May 1-8 and dined at STK, The Boathouse, Sanaa, Topolino's Terrace, Hollywood Brown Derby, Tiffins and La Hacienda. We never felt rushed at any of those places. We generally order wine, which seems to slow the pace down a bit for some reason. The servers at Topolino's, Sanaa and Tiffins were engaging and took some time to talk to us (although it was not easy through both mask and shield). There wasn't a single place where we weren't asked about drinks or appetizers; we generally don't get dessert, so I honestly don't remember that part.

I can say the pace was a bit faster at La Hacienda - thought it might be because it was in a park. But we were left to relax and take our time looking over the menu at both Tiffins and HBD. To some extent, "rushed" is subjective. We don't eat quickly, but we don't linger either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom