Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I used to think the vast majority of people are good, honest people. There have been events in the last 2 years that have made me feel foolish for feeling that way.
I’ve seen some disgusting behavior during this pandemic for sure, but that has been overwhelmed by amazing and in many cases courageous actions and many people coming together to work towards the common good. It’s easy to focus on the negatives and on the vocal minority of idiots doing stupid stuff, but I still firmly believe most people desire to do the right thing and we mostly all want the same thing which is an end to this and a return to normal. I don’t think the actions of that minority should make you feel foolish for feeling that the majority of people are good and honest. 😀

DC0703

It's not a matter of knowing either way.

It's a matter of whether you think people generally can be trusted or not.

There always are some that abuse the system.

However, I believe most (not all) people are good and will do the right thing.

I believe in people.

Do you?
Sadly, I do not believe in people these days. Nor do I believe that most people will do the rest thing regarding masks. People care more for politics than what is best for their fellow man.

Then again, my jaded beliefs are probably because I know a lot of people who refuse to get vaccinated and none are wearing masks now that enforcement has stopped. In fact, most people that I know who still wear masks are fully vaccinated. The unvaccinated never felt covid was threat in the first place and are moving on.

hopemax

I believe in people.

Do you?
It’s not enough. The last 15 months should be proof of that. There is no A for effort for the portion of the people that did do the right thing. This was all Pass/Fail and collectively this country failed. The vaccine part has been a fortuitous success, and it was so perfectly timed that it has apparently resulted in people diminishing the Fail parts.

The number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths this country tallied are tragedies that weren’t minimized because we valued their lives, but what we concluded were acceptable losses. Including the ones that are still happening despite the narrative that we won and this is all over except some clean up. Had we not had the vaccine, and the variants hit us with full force it would have been devastating. I have no confidence that as the numbers for that started tallying up people would have set aside their frustration and weariness of the mitigations to buckle down and done anything about it.

At the end of Apollo 13 (the movie) there is a line that the mission was deemed a successful failure. That is what this has been, and there is hubris to pretend that the might of the American people saved the day, and not a miracle delivered with impeccable timing by a relatively small percentage of Americans (and non-Americans).

So go ahead and frame this in a way so you can hand slap anyone that has the audacity to say no, they don't trust people. One of the reasons I think the lab leak theory is being latched onto, is because it is the answer that saves us from having to contemplate that another zoonotic spillover event could happen next year, or 5 years, or 10 years from now and we have to face the potential of doing all of this again, or worse depending on what comes up on the randomizer (Guy's Grocery Games Tournament of Champions reference). A lab accident isn't supposed to happen, so we can imagine the steps to take to avoid it from happening in the future for a long time. An intentional act gives us a Villain to fight, but we can imagine how fighting villains will prevent this situation from happening again. If it's natural, it's unpredictable other than there will be a next time, and we *know* in our souls that we are unprepared and unwilling to do this again if it happened in the near future. We didn't learn the value in what we did. We learned that we hate it. But even the hate wasn't enough to motivate people to stick their arms out and clear the vaccination goals with ease.

So no, I don't trust people. If told that people need to run a marathon, and a bunch only manage 26 of the 26.2 miles I trust that people will argue that it should count too, because it's only .2 miles that they failed to complete.

Jrb1979

I have moved on and value time and moments more spent with family and friends. Life is short.
While I do value the moments spent with family and friends, I highly doubt I will move on from this quickly. My faith in humanity is at zero and it will be awhile and maybe never come back. From how this became a political issue all the way down to those who need a lottery ticket to get vaccinated has made me lose respect for most people.

Wendy Pleakley

I believe in people.

Do you?

Bumper sticker slogans aren't going to get us through something like a pandemic.

How many COVID cases were due to a minority of people stupidly holding super spreader events? A handful of people using a hotel loophole to book fastpasses might be annoying, but doesn't impact me in any meaningful way. A minority of people can do harm during a pandemic.

Oh well. 50% vaccinated. Good enough? COVID is apparently over. Mission accomplished.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It’s not enough. The last 15 months should be proof of that. There is no A for effort for the portion of the people that did do the right thing. This was all Pass/Fail and collectively this country failed. The vaccine part has been a fortuitous success, and it was so perfectly timed that it has apparently resulted in people diminishing the Fail parts.

The number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths this country tallied are tragedies that weren’t minimized because we valued their lives, but what we concluded were acceptable losses. Including the ones that are still happening despite the narrative that we won and this is all over except some clean up. Had we not had the vaccine, and the variants hit us with full force it would have been devastating. I have no confidence that as the numbers for that started tallying up people would have set aside their frustration and weariness of the mitigations to buckle down and done anything about it.

At the end of Apollo 13 (the movie) there is a line that the mission was deemed a successful failure. That is what this has been, and there is hubris to pretend that the might of the American people saved the day, and not a miracle delivered with impeccable timing by a relatively small percentage of Americans (and non-Americans).

So go ahead and frame this in a way so you can hand slap anyone that has the audacity to say no, they don't trust people. One of the reasons I think the lab leak theory is being latched onto, is because it is the answer that saves us from having to contemplate that another zoonotic spillover event could happen next year, or 5 years, or 10 years from now and we have to face the potential of doing all of this again, or worse depending on what comes up on the randomizer (Guy's Grocery Games Tournament of Champions reference). A lab accident isn't supposed to happen, so we can imagine the steps to take to avoid it from happening in the future for a long time. An intentional act gives us a Villain to fight, but we can imagine how fighting villains will prevent this situation from happening again. If it's natural, it's unpredictable other than there will be a next time, and we *know* in our souls that we are unprepared and unwilling to do this again if it happened in the near future. We didn't learn the value in what we did. We learned that we hate it. But even the hate wasn't enough to motivate people to stick their arms out and clear the vaccination goals with ease.

So no, I don't trust people. If told that people need to run a marathon, and a bunch only manage 26 of the 26.2 miles I trust that people will argue that it should count too, because it's only .2 miles that they failed to complete.

I think we can close this thread now!

ElvisMickey

I think that what needs to be taken from this is that no one has done the right thing, 100% of the time, over the last 15+ months. And that goes for the professionals and politicians as well. This was (hopefully) a once in a lifetime experience for us. Which also meant that no one knew for sure how to react or what to do at first. Or, even throughout. But the issue is the people who think that no matter what their opinion is/was on the pandemic, masks, etc., their view is superior to other folks who had different levels of concern. You can’t rail on someone else because they’re viewing it differently than you are. I wore my mask over the last 15 months and am now vaccinated. But I have news for you, there are plenty of people out there who never wore a mask and never contracted COVID. They shouldn’t be blacklisted because that was their choice. Everyone needs to get off their high horse and be a little more understanding of everyone else. As they say, that’s what makes the world go ‘round. On another note, it’s my bed time so if anyone wants to argue, I’ll get back to you in the AM 😝!

ImperfectPixie

I think that what needs to be taken from this is that no one has done the right thing, 100% of the time, over the last 15+ months. And that goes for the professionals and politicians as well. This was (hopefully) a once in a lifetime experience for us. Which also meant that no one knew for sure how to react or what to do at first. Or, even throughout. But the issue is the people who think that no matter what their opinion is/was on the pandemic, masks, etc., their view is superior to other folks who had different levels of concern. You can’t rail on someone else because they’re viewing it differently than you are. I wore my mask over the last 15 months and am now vaccinated. But I have news for you, there are plenty of people out there who never wore a mask and never contracted COVID. They shouldn’t be blacklisted because that was their choice. Everyone needs to get off their high horse and be a little more understanding of everyone else. As they say, that’s what makes the world go ‘round. On another note, it’s my bed time so if anyone wants to argue, I’ll get back to you in the AM 😝!
Nope. A pandemic is one of those times when "respect everyone's opinion" does real harm.

Wendy Pleakley

There are plenty of people who drink & drive but don't get into an accident. Let's respect their choices too.

Come on...

ElvisMickey

There are plenty of people who drink & drive but don't get into an accident. Let's respect their choices too.

Come on...
Umm, wearing a mask and drinking and driving are completely different. One, you’re drunk, if that’s what you’re implying. Second, if you don’t have COVID, there’s no chance of spreading anything. You’re exactly the type of person I’m talking about. There are two or three members on here who think they’re holier than thou…

Dreaming of Disney World

Umm, wearing a mask and drinking and driving are completely different. One, you’re drunk, if that’s what you’re implying. Second, if you don’t have COVID, there’s no chance of spreading anything. You’re exactly the type of person I’m talking about. There are two or three members on here who think they’re holier than thou…
No, that poster was exactly right. Someone drinking and driving might get home safely... or they might hurt someone else. Someone not wearing a mask might not get anyone sick...or they might make someone sick and possibly die. It's exactly the same. And you can't know for sure that you don't have covid. In both cases someone's decision to not be safe can negatively affect someone else.

ElvisMickey

No, that poster was exactly right. Someone drinking and driving might get home safely... or they might hurt someone else. Someone not wearing a mask might not get anyone sick...or they might make someone sick and possibly die. It's exactly the same. And you can't know for sure that you don't have covid. In both cases someone's decision to not be safe can negatively affect someone else.
The usual 2 or 3 folks on here who will be wearing masks into 2025 agree with you. Again, respect choices. Goodnight, gang.

Dreaming of Disney World

The usual 2 or 3 folks on here who will be wearing masks into 2025 agree with you. Again, respect choices. Goodnight, gang.
Why can't you respect my health to try to keep me safe? I think my health is more important than your freedom to not wear a mask. The downside to me is I could get sick and die. The downside to you is you have a piece of cloth/paper over your face for a little bit. Which is more important? I will never respect your choice. Now if you're vaccinated, you can of course choose to not wear a mask. But if you're not vaccinated, then either get vaccinated or wear a mask.

tallica

With that logic anyone who has ever gone to work sick is morally doing the same as a drunk driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom