Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report - as of today, the FDOH has started including ages 12-14 on their own line and included 15 in the next age group.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 2.34.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 2.34.53 PM.png

ElvisMickey

Why pump your own gas when it’s cheaper and people will pump it for you? When else can I catch up on WDW Magic!
One thing I definitely don't miss about NJ is having someone pump your gas for you. 99% of the time you're dealing with someone with zero personality and even if that person was a bundle of joy, I'm antisocial and what much rather do it myself lol.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that by sometime in Summer Covid mitigations will be gone. It's something to be excited for. I have this feeling it's not going to change much in regards to things coming back outside of fireworks.
Should be interesting to see. There are things not happening for Covid safety reasons, things not happening due to economics and some things a little of both. What Orange County does next is also a big part of it. What’s missing and what I think could come back and when?
  • Fireworks: back this Summer. I think June timeframe. Economic more than Covid safety. Right now only EPCOt is even open late enough but on e the CP workers arrive June 14 they will have the capacity to expand park hours even more. That lines up with NE schools getting out and a big push for attendance.
  • Shows: some shows will return some time this Summer, not all. This is economic more than covid.
  • Distancing in restaurants. Covid safety. As crowds ramp up they will need to expand capacity at restaurants. If OC drops all Covid restrictions it’s possible Disney pivots to no distancing at dining locations some time this Summer.
  • Meet and greets. Mostly Covid safety. If I were Disney I’d just require that CMs who are part of meet and greets are fully vaccinated. Those in costume and their handlers. Then there’s no reason not to bring back. Right now cavalcades and walk by characters at meals seem to be the norm.
  • Buffets. Mostly Covid safety. I don’t see them coming back this Summer. Most have reopened as family style restaurants. As long as they can charge full price (they are) I don’t see it being a prioroty.
  • The rest of the resorts opening. Economics. The 20% of the international demographic lines up with the 20% of rooms closed and they kept the cheaper rooms shut down. If Canada and the UK both resume regular travel to the US by some time this Summer they may actually open the remaining resorts but not likely.
So my uneducated guess is some changes for sure this Summer, some things won’t be back. WDW will look mostly like normal in a lot of ways unless you normally stay at POR or All Stars ;)

Kevin_W

I feel slightly obligated to overeat, only because of the pricing.

Yeah, at a buffet even though not obligated to overeat I almost always do. (To be fair, that's true of many non-buffet restaurants in the US as well where portion sizes are much larger than what I need for my daily caloric intake.)

Mark52479

Looks like OC Florida can now go to phase 3.

All masks mandates will be ended in Orange County

I dont think Disney will change anything.....although......we have been all shocked recently so................

Nickp1983

Looks like OC Florida can now go to phase 3.

All masks mandates will be ended in Orange County

I dont think Disney will change anything.....although......we have been all shocked recently so................
Disney will end mask mandates next Monday.
Except for after meals and after MacGyver.

If anyone gets this reference. Beers on me

Mark52479

Lilofan

They don’t require you to overeat. My family loves the buffets for the variety and none of us is overweight. I’ll miss Boma even if they bring it back as family style. I never choose the most popular options, and that’s probably what will be offered.
You are one of the few perhaps that go just for the variety. Many I know that go to buffets are not helping their personal medical issues . I did try Boma, their cold watermelon rinds salad was unique and refreshing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are one of the few perhaps that go just for the variety. Many I know that go to buffets are not helping their personal medical issues .
Unless you are a local going every week (which isn’t a cheap option), people eating there are on vacation. They are naturally going to consume way more calories than normal life. I don’t think eating at buffets while on vacation is causing obesity.

Nickp1983

Jlwise2021

Not yet.

But they reached the level according to Florida Dept of health.

Oh boy. I actually think that Universal and Disney will move forward with optional masks. We will find out tomorrow when Mayor Demings holds his press conference. They moved fast when he announced Phase 2, and they helped draft these phases. Plus, from looking at the pics of the signs for optional masks outside, I don’t think they plan on staying in that phase for long. This would also put them in line with other theme parks, like Dollywood and Silver Dollar City and Sea World. Scott Gottlieb is on board for personal risk assessment at this point, meaning no more mandates— own judgement (with the few exceptions being planes, hospitals, prisons, and nursing homes).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd like to think Disney is going to wait but with them removing the plexiglass... idk. I could see Masks being optional outside bus and monorail transport.
Should be interesting to see how Disney responds. If they dropped masks everywhere then they would also be dropping distancing at restaurants and really any other restrictions should go at that point. It would be very far from the current CDC guidelines which still recommend masks everywhere for unvaccinated people (including children).

Nickp1983

No. The press conference is tomorrow (they are moving to 1 weekly presser instead of 2).
Question. Let's say they rate stays down below 5% for another week. Then shoots back up.
Does phase 2 start back over?
I dont see Disney basing their policy on something so fluid. 70% vaccinated is a hard number unless OC sees an influx of people moving in over a week.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Question. Let's say they rate stays down below 5% for another week. Then shoots back up.
Does phase 2 start back over?
I dont see Disney basing their policy on something so fluid. 70% vaccinated is a hard number unless OC sees an influx of people moving in over a week.
The 5% percent positive is a terrible metric to use. FL in general was under that for periods since the pandemic started only to spike back up. A lot of the country is under it now too. Vaccine percentages are a must better metric. You can’t unvaccinated people, but percent positive can spike up and then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom