Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

To make the Hershey situation even more confusing, the web site for Hershey's Chocolate World, which is right next to the park, does not talk about this change so it will continue to operate under the old rules. Admittedly, the park is much more outdoors, but it does have indoor spaces and it's not clear if the new policy will also apply in those spaces.
Despite their neighboring locations, shared name and theme, Hersheypark and Hershey’s Chocolate World are owned and operated by two separate companies. Hersheypark and most of the other entertainment venues are owned by Hershey Entertainment, a private company owned by the The Hershey Trust while Hershey’s Chocolate World is owned by The Hershey Company, the chocolate company.

mmascari

"This decision was based in part on the totality of scientific evidence, including data from the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE study that demonstrated the vaccine was 66.1 percent effective in preventing moderate to severe/critical disease and 85 percent effective in preventing severe/critical disease across all regions studied, 28 days post-vaccination. The vaccine showed protection against COVID-19 related hospitalization and death, beginning 28 days after vaccination."
Wonderful. /s

That would have been extra helpful 2 weeks ago. At least it doesn't matter anymore for me.

LaughingGravy

CNBC just had a segment on about the companies who are still sticking with the mask mandate, Target and UPS being two of many that they covered. Regardless of your views on masks, the CDC said what it said and unless these businesses want a s**t storm at their locations everyday, they're going to have to get with the program sooner or later. You already had blowback from people not wanting to wear masks over the last year and half. It's only going to get worse.
I'm glad I don't work for a company that deals with the general public. We are sticking with the mask mandate on property until a significant number report their vaccinations and that number is high enough that management decides to lift the mask requirement.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Wonderful. /s

That would have been extra helpful 2 weeks ago. At least it doesn't matter anymore for me.
I think the official CDC guidance is that 2 weeks after your shot, you're considered "fully vaccinated."

Just another example of the CDC not "following the science," as they claim to have been doing. They don't trust people to be able to handle nuance, so they put out blanket rules that don't apply in all situations.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
KY governor just said mandate will lift June 11th. And explained this will give the 12-15 group time to be fully vaccinated as well as adults who still wish to receive it. Seems like a decent compromise instead of instant change in policy.
Pretty hysterical that Connecticut is dropping the mandate before Kentucky.

havoc315

WDW can deal with walk-up guests, thou currently with park pass - looks like they may only get into one or no parks.

That actually gives me an idea.
How wonderful would it be if WDW used the park pass system to require vaccination when booking the park pass...

And you could even set aside vax vs unvax park-days.
Ex: Monday: MK, AK and EPC are only open to vaccinated people and masks will not be required. DHS is open to everyone, but masks will be required.
Tuesday: MK, EPC and DHS are only open to vaccinated people, masks will not be required. AK is open to everyone, but masks required.

ABQ

NYC is equal to the combined populations of Vermont, Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and West Virginia. So, it's close quarters here - and yes, things have been enforced and were going swimmingly until yesterday.
Kind of surprised by these numbers, would have thought they'd be higher, though I haven't been looking at them every day, so I'm not sure if they have been consistently rising. Stay out of the Bronx, I guess.

1621003834650.png

AEfx

But contracting COVID when you’re vaccinated is likely a non-issue. We need to stop acting like getting COVID is the worst thing in the world that can happen to someone.

A non-issue...yikes, this is the stuff that scares me the most. People really think that COVID is just about how sick you get when you initially get infected.

There is growing evidence that there is much more to coronavirus long term, even for people who only get a mild version initially.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They (and Disney... and the CDC) need to come up with an answer for kids under 12. Letting mom and dad unmask while little Johnny, 3, has to wear his all day long is not going to fly with guests.
But that is the science...unvaccinated people are still a risk to spread Covid so need to wear a mask. The virus doesn’t say I won‘t infect little Johnny because his parents get to not wear a mask. I think for parents with kids under 12 you just have to decide if you want to go or not while that is the rule. My kids are walking around Hershey Park right now with masks on. They know they aren’t vaccinated and they know the rules.

Who cares if people lie?

Vaccinated people are protected anyways. Un-vaccinated people are clearly comfortable with the risk.
Not if the unvaccinated person is a kid under 12. They have no choice in the matter. Fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear a mask. Unvaccinated people, nothing changes. This is not supposed to be drop all masks everywhere for everyone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The argument is not that kids don't spread it per se.

The argument is that asymptomatic spread is rare and kids tend to be asymptomatic.

But this all alludes to a good point. Masking kids was never about protecting the kids because kids don't really need protecting. Masking kids was about protecting vulnerable populations from spread-via-kids. Now that the vulnerable populations are vaccinated, the case for masking kids falls away even if the kids themselves aren't yet vaccinated.
Asymptomatic spread is not rare. The opposite is true and that’s why we have so many issues with this virus. If asymptomatic spread was rare temperature checks would be our best line of defense and nobody would need to quarantine unless they show symptoms.

sullyinMT

NYC is equal to the combined populations of Vermont, Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and West Virginia. So, it's close quarters here - and yes, things have been enforced and were going swimmingly until yesterday.
Moved here from Atlanta. I’m just saying it must be nice to have enforcement. Sorry the flood gates opened out there, too. But, at least you have more people overall vaccinated - should help with whatever the resulting bump looks like.

LaughingGravy

KY governor just said mandate will lift June 11th. And explained this will give the 12-15 group time to be fully vaccinated as well as adults who still wish to receive it. Seems like a decent compromise instead of instant change in policy.
It's better than just lifting now, but it also means those who don't want the vaccine now have a date that the mask mandate will be lifted whether they are vaccinated or not.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Despite their neighboring locations, shared name and theme, Hersheypark and Hershey’s Chocolate World are owned and operated by two separate companies. Hersheypark and most of the other entertainment venues are owned by Hershey Entertainment, a private company owned by the The Hershey Trust while Hershey’s Chocolate World is owned by The Hershey Company, the chocolate company.

Yes, but most people don't know that, thus it will lead to confusion.

GaBoy

That actually gives me an idea.
How wonderful would it be if WDW used the park pass system to require vaccination when booking the park pass...

And you could even set aside vax vs unvax park-days.
Ex: Monday: MK, AK and EPC are only open to vaccinated people and masks will not be required. DHS is open to everyone, but masks will be required.
Tuesday: MK, EPC and DHS are only open to vaccinated people, masks will not be required. AK is open to everyone, but masks required.
Since I'm vaccinated... sounds great. Never gonna happen. They will never police this thing, they don't have to. The CDC gave them what they need to open it up (probably a few weeks or maybe a month out), not expend resources on any effort to differentiate or make exceptions and increase meaningful revenue in capacity (resorts, restaurants and parks). All this with a diminished work force which they want out there putting money in their pockets. The stockholders expect it, many stakeholders as well.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But that is the science...unvaccinated people are still a risk to spread Covid so need to wear a mask. The virus doesn’t say I won‘t infect little Johnny because his parents get to not wear a mask. I think for parents with kids under 12 you just have to decide if you want to go or not while that is the rule. My kids are walking around Hershey Park right now with masks on. They know they aren’t vaccinated and they know the rules.
Ehh...do you really think there is an actual benefit for a bunch of 2 and 3 year old's wearing spit covered/soaked masks? Its just for show IMO. As I said previously, they should bump up the age to 10.

bryanfze55

Asymptomatic spread is not rare. The opposite is true and that’s why we have so many issues with this virus. If asymptomatic spread was rare temperature checks would be our best line of defense and nobody would need to quarantine unless they show symptoms.

On paper I would think the same as you, but the data seem to potentially show otherwise. Not that I have a lot of faith in the WHO, but they seem to believe asymptomatic spread is rare. A lot of people have symptoms but no fever.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I thought the prevailing belief was that asymptomatic spread may be rare, but not pre-symptomatic spread? In most cases the distinction isn't to important, we assume everyone is pre, but for kids it would make a difference since they have much less change of going from pre-symptomatic to symptomatic.

bryanfze55

Not if the unvaccinated person is a kid under 12. They have no choice in the matter. Fully vaccinated people don’t need to wear a mask. Unvaccinated people, nothing changes. This is not supposed to be drop all masks everywhere for everyone.
I’m aiming for Disneyland in October. If the rule is still in place and my 7-year-old hasn’t been permitted to get the vaccine - I’ll just suck it up and wear a mask too. I’d feel like a jack*** making her wear one and not doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom