Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

No sure so sure requiring masks for plane travel with US is really going to present a problem, in fact domestic plane travel has been on on rise for months, including requirement to wear masks, seems like people who what to travel via plane within US have no problem wearing a mask even for 5 hr trip from east to west coast.
Having flown cross country on 5+ hour flights several times in the last year, the mask is not really a big deal. You are just sitting doing nothing and it isn't hot or humid.

It was far more annoying in the airport then on the plane especially on tight connections speed walking.

DisneyCane

View attachment 557284
Is it really "very low" right now?

I understand that line is trending down, wonderfully down. But, when I look to the left, it's still higher than everything prior to July 2020. It trended down some then too. Somewhere below that valley from last May would have been nice.

Now we get to see, does it stay going down, does it level off, or does it turn back up?

Is the vaccinated amount today enough to keep it trending down? It might be. Without any other mitigations, it might not be. We'll find out.

As a parent of an under 12 who mostly gave up all kinds of things over the last year and is still barely in school. Risking exposure and getting sick now would be tragic. All the more so if we did it to rush dropping everything what may be 4 weeks early and suffering a slow down.

I'll hope the trend is irreversible at this point, but I'm not going to believe it until we're under last May's numbers.

Switching that graph to Deaths, we do appear to be at the lowest daily death since this started. Still 500+ daily, so not low in the abstract, just lowest so far.
With the delays from test to reporting of results we are further down the hill than the charts indicate. The CDC can analyze and determine what the likely actual number of infections occurring per day is.

As I posted last week, I had to take a COVID test for a medical procedure and it took a week from the swab for the State of Florida to record the (negative) result.

DisneyCane

Florida Gov has already banned Vaccine Passports so how do you know when the population reaches a certain % vaccinated? Especially in areas like Orlando that have a high percentage of tourists.

Whether or not it’s specifically tied to an individual and verified at the turnstiles (it won’t be), the data of how many residents have been vaccinated as a raw number exists.
Exists and is posted in a detailed report (which @DCBaker posts part of) every day.

Jrb1979

A couple more items from the earnings call from the other thread:

So demand domestically for WDW is about flat with 2019 which is really good for Disney. All they will be missing is the 20% from international guests which may not be back this Summer. Makes sense that roughly 20% of hotel rooms are still shut down.

On the labor side they seem to be very happy with their workforce returning. 80% CM retention seems pretty good considering the long layoff. It seems the rumors of a labor shortage keeping WDW limited for the Summer aren’t playing out. ”No problems whatsoever in terms of trying to get our cast to come back and make some magic for our guests.”

Full speed ahead:
  • increased capacity
  • decrease in distancing
  • potential to drop masks this Summer
  • Domestic guest demand high
  • No issues with labor
  • Nightly testing of night entertainment
All signs point towards the full ramp up for the Summer. What a difference from just a quarter ago earnings call where Chapek said masks and distancing for the remainder of the fiscal year and only left us a glimmer of hope of possible vaccination increases leading to some acceleration of that timeline. Good times ahead 😍🥳🎉🎊⭐💥😎
Good times as long as you give your wallet to them. With how he answered the Disneyland AP not coming back, you know they are going to do what they can to get that money back that they lost. I'm fully expecting ticket prices rising as well as a lot more nickel and diming for things that were included.

ParentsOf4

They were asked how long americans "need" to wear a mask, so it is yet to be seen if they were right or wrong.
I’d frame it differently.

Either hundreds of epidemiologists who took the NYT survey are wrong or the CDC is wrong.

Since I’m a “follow the science” kinda guy and since the CDC is a government agency which, by its nature, means that it’s at least partially political, I’m leaning towards the epidemiologists being right.

We all understand the issue here. It’s not that the vaccinated are at risk, it’s that any public place that decides to use the honor system to let those vaccinated go maskless indoors is going to get taken advantage of by those who haven’t been fully vaccinated.

One way or another, someone is going to be proven right and someone is going to be proven wrong.

Someone care to add a popcorn chewing meme?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not really the same. The CDC recommendations aren’t rules that are implemented they are guidelines a state or business use to set their own policies. My issue is with Hershey Park changing their policy on the fly without saying what the change actually is less than 24 hours before it goes into effect. It’s poor customer service.

To make the Hershey situation even more confusing, the web site for Hershey's Chocolate World, which is right next to the park, does not talk about this change so it will continue to operate under the old rules. Admittedly, the park is much more outdoors, but it does have indoor spaces and it's not clear if the new policy will also apply in those spaces.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’d frame it differently.

Either hundreds of epidemiologists who took the NYT survey are wrong or the CDC is wrong.

Since I’m a “follow the science” kinda guy and since the CDC is a government agency which, by its nature, means that it’s at least partially political, I’m leaning towards the epidemiologists being right.

We all understand the issue here. It’s not that the vaccinated are at risk, it’s that any public place that decides to use the honor system to let those vaccinated go maskless indoors is going to get taken advantage of by those who haven’t been fully vaccinated.

One way or another, someone is going to be proven right and someone is going to be proven wrong.

Someone care to add a popcorn chewing meme?

I am a pessimist when it comes to the pandemic. I hope it doesn't happen, but I would expect an national upswing in cases by mid June.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There is nothing on their website but a pop up that says this:

Consistent with updated guidance from Pennsylvania and the CDC, face coverings and social distancing for guests who are fully vaccinated will no longer be required.
They (and Disney... and the CDC) need to come up with an answer for kids under 12. Letting mom and dad unmask while little Johnny, 3, has to wear his all day long is not going to fly with guests.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In Florida, vaccines weren't even opened up to the under 40 crowd until April 5th. Even if a person got Pfizer that very day, they'd just barely be past the two week period after the second shot. And if they got moderna, they're still not officially fully vaccinated. We really are just rushing full speed ahead. And the message everyone will receive is 'masks are done'. Sad.
You're still free to wear your mask. Or stay home.

LaughingGravy

Did you hear? Anyone who bought an an annual pass online can come into the park without showing proof. We're going by the honor system on this, so if you didn't buy an annual pass, please purchase a day pass at the ticket booth. Again, honor system people!

At the Disney shareholder meeting: "I'm sure profits will return, but it will take a month or so to see. You're all right with that, right?"

I really hope I'm wrong, but we will see what happens with the covid numbers. I doubt they will continue to go down ( in case anyone wasn't sure).

Last edited:

seascape

Today the US is at 10.72 cases per 100,000, so it is possibly the last day the NY Times reports a number of 11. Hopefully tomorrow the number reported will be 10 because only a reduction of 0.23 cases per 100,000 is needed to drop the number. Only 3 states are now over 20 and 22 are in single digits. Even the CDC is beginning to realize we are either near the end of this or they are completely untrustworthy. Biden promised he would only use science and looking at the drop of cases in NJ now at 78% in just 14 days, NJ has to have reached it. In judt a few weeks NJ has gone from the worst state for Covid19 to the 4th best.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Did you hear? Any one who bought an an annual pass online can come into the park without showing proof. We're going by the honor system on this, so if you didn't buy an annual pass, please purchase a day pass at the ticket booth. Again, honor system people!

I really hope I'm wrong, but we will see what happens with the covid numbers.
Who cares if people lie?

Vaccinated people are protected anyways. Un-vaccinated people are clearly comfortable with the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom