Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I got my second Moderna shot today at Rite Aid. They filled out my card and the woman working there told me that Staples is laminating the cards for free. I looked it up and it’s true for Staples and Office Depot. She also told me to keep the card safe because they are going to start requiring it to travel. I found the comment funny based on all the talk here.

Heppenheimer

Sledgehammer was needed. I saw people dropping dead left and right... 3 colleagues passed away in the first month (by mid April 2020).
So hitting the emergency brake was indeed the proper response. Ok, so you're advised not to go fishing for a week, oh no.

As I said... I agree that within days/weeks, you could reassess and start to add nuance. And in reality, even right away, the stay at home orders said it was perfectly safe to be outdoors socially distanced. There was never an order in the US in any state telling people not to leave their house.
The last year has taught me quite a lot, but amongst the biggest is that many people have trouble with nuance. Or understanding that often health decisions need to be made on a decision-tree model, instead of a straight line.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.35.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.36.04 PM.png

themarchhare

No it wasn't a wise response.
It was damned stupid.
It was a sledgehammer approach that was not needed.
We knew very, very little about the virus. When you look at the chart it's quite apparent that the shutdown was *very* necessary and kept our number of fatalities MUCH lower (until we had some better treatment options). There's a reason why most other Western powers have had multiple shutdowns - they work in stopping the spread and in creating new variants.

Obviously at this point shutdowns are out of the question, but I don't see how anyone could possibly say that the initial shutdowns were a bad thing - they saved millions of lives.

seascape

Numbers are out - there were 84 new reported deaths, along with 2 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

View attachment 546478View attachment 546479View attachment 546480View attachment 546481
Florida is going in the wrong direction. Based on these numbers the state is averaging 5,642 new cases a day or 26.4. That is not the way we want to see the state go. I can complain about NY and NJ still having too many cases but at least they are moving lower! The country as a whole accord to the NY Times was at sn average of 65,556 or 19.8 cases per 100,000 new cases a day. Florida is now 33.33% higher than the national average. Yes, that is much better than Michigan's 70 cases but who cares! Florida needs to do better or people will decide it's not worth the risk of visiting.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Florida is going in the wrong direction. Based on these numbers the state is averaging 5,642 new cases a day or 26.4. That is not the way we want to see the state go. I can complain about NY and NJ still having too many cases but at least they are moving lower! The country as a whole accord to the NY Times was at sn average of 65,556 or 19.8 cases per 100,000 new cases a day. Florida is now 33.33% higher than the national average. Yes, that is much better than Michigan's 70 cases but who cares! Florida needs to do better or people will decide it's not worth the risk of visiting.

It's the wrong direction, but not entirely unexpected.

Turtlekrawl

No it wasn't a wise response.
It was damned stupid.
It was a sledgehammer approach that was not needed.
I don’t think it needed to be the blanket approach across entire states. But hospitals were not prepared. I cared for lots of covid patients, and it was scary without adequate PPE in the hospitals and operating rooms, and without testing. We were wearing N95 masks for over a week at a time, and did feel like we were risking our lives every day. I do think a drastic measure was needed (in many areas) to keep healthcare personnel safe and hospitals from being more overwhelmed than they already were.

JoeCamel

I got my second Moderna shot today at Rite Aid. They filled out my card and the woman working there told me that Staples is laminating the cards for free. I looked it up and it’s true for Staples and Office Depot. She also told me to keep the card safe because they are going to start requiring it to travel. I found the comment funny based on all the talk here.

I wouldn't laminate the card, maybe a copy on cardstock but the original would be tough to examine if you need it to be. Something from social security

Have you corrected for spring breakers, snowbirds and family vacationers? We have a bunch of people here not in the population count.

Last edited:

mmascari

But this is the problem with the analysis that “significant spread has never been traced to any outdoor environment”— it always comes down to the technicality that it’s extremely difficult to trace outbreaks to outdoor environments (such as WDW parks) because infections can always be blamed on other places (people sleep indoors before/after their visits and also tend to travel in cars, monorails, gondolas, planes, etc.). Also, true contact tracing isn’t actually being done.
Those other things are where the danger lives for many things.

Much like many of the other recent comments about "XYZ is safe and doesn't need ABC". They're frequently correct, that the specific XYZ would be totally fine. A better question is what other things surround that activity. How easily is it to control the shift from XYZ to DEF that does need those extra ABC mitigation efforts.

An easy example is a an outdoor stadium with sufficient distance between people in the stands. That sounds totally safe. Everyone outside, nice 6 foot or more distance between groups. No worries at all. The issues come up with that's not all people at the stadium really do and they don't magically transport from their cars directly to their seats. There are lines to get in, get out, restrooms, clubhouses, eating, and other ancillary activities. Some of those have easy delineation, make that restroom line be outside and only allow limited people in. Others are more fluid, everyone leaves at the same time and hits a choke point, in a winding staircase, and they pile up on top of each other. Better control when they leave could help, assuming people listen.

You're left with two options:
  1. Over mitigate. Wear a mask or keep things closed in situations where it isn't really needed for the primary activity but it's hard to segment the auxiliary activities.
  2. Under mitigate. Go wild in all those perfectly fine primary activities and accept that as things slide into the auxiliary things they'll have less mitigation.

In the WDW case, there's lots of changing between scenarios. I can understand why they want a simple policy based on the most restrictive scenario. Essentially option 1 where they over require masking in general to avoid having to monitor the change between areas. One advantage, there's relatively few places where the transition between masked and not masked happens then. Option 2 would have significantly more transitions.

That walking in the park example, of people raising and lowering as they pass. It's very dependent on actual crowding size and flow of people. Out for a jog mostly alone, I'll completely agree masking to pass someone is stupid. If you're that mostly alone, just give enough space when passing. That's how we walk the neighborhood. In a very busy park, with limited trails where groups occasionally get jammed up. Now you're starting to have to make decisions. Is this person I'm passing now really going to be gone in 2 seconds? Is there another group coming at them, are they getting stuck, are they just a jerk and going to stand right next to me for 5 minutes breathing in my face?

You can bet we have some option 1 posters and some option 2 posters here.

Depends where. But yes — I completely agree that beaches and parks should have been promptly re-opened. Some stayed closer longer than they should have.

But it’s a lie to say people were ordered to stay inside their homes.
A old NY times article details what happened last spring time.

One explain of what state was ordering:

California About 39.6 million people​

California, America’s most populous state, was the first to order all residents to stay home. Others quickly followed suit. “This is not a permanent state, this is a moment in time,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said. “We will look back at these decisions as pivotal.”

Stay at home, effective March 19

Turtlekrawl

Florida is not alone. The virus continues to move in waves. The Midwest is also on an upswing, while the northeast appears to be starting to trend down. Wouldn’t surprise me in California goes up again in the next week or two. Let’s get the younger healthy people vaccinated, then we should be in good shape.

Bill in Atlanta

Let me pump a little sunshine here. Florida's 7-day rolling average has improved drastically over the last two months despite today's slight uptick. Hopefully over the next week we'll see that trend resume.

3vopu9L.png

sullyinMT

Kings Island and Cedar Point aren't open yet, is there something else there besides buckeyes? Lol
Well, it’s not Indiana 😉 (I married a Hoosier, FWIW). Great Wolf Lodge (indoors) is wide open near Kings’ Island from what I gather. A few indoor touristy spots around there, too.

Plus, if the weather’s nice people will be at the ballparks and zoos dotting the state, and probably therefore gathering in nearby bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom