Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlekrawl

Just as long as you miss the Mayflies.

Best weather is usually the first or second week of Halloweekends.
I was at CP when the mayflies came a few years ago. Watching people wipe the dead carcasses off their faces at the end of millennium force was hilarious. I still rode after seeing that, but looked down and covered my face the whole time.

Touchdown

I was at CP when the mayflies came a few years ago. Watching people wipe the dead carcasses off their faces at the end of millennium force was hilarious. I still rode after seeing that, but looked down and covered my face the whole time.
Unless it’s Halloweekends, once twilight starts, never sit in the front of a roller coaster at CP.

Kevin_W

Just received notice this afternoon that it will be for those presenting/competing etc at the fair and families only. Also spread out more. They claim to be back for 2022. They moved the fest to Aug right? So maybe.
Yes, the Irish Festival is August 6-8 so hopefully it happens. Though looking at those dates, God willing, we will miss it this year due to being in Hawaii for our 25th anniversary! Hoping for a normal summer and Hawaii allowing travelers.

seascape

Florida is now the 11th highest state for Covid19 with 27 cases per 100,000. If things don't change immediately they will make the top 10 states or should I say it as it really is the bottom 10. Michigan is at 72, NJ 45 and NY 38.

havoc315

A old NY times article details what happened last spring time.

One explain of what state was ordering:

California About 39.6 million people​

California, America’s most populous state, was the first to order all residents to stay home. Others quickly followed suit. “This is not a permanent state, this is a moment in time,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said. “We will look back at these decisions as pivotal.”

Stay at home, effective March 19

Again, the “stay at home” orders were not literally stay INSIDE your home:

From the California March 19 directive:

• Continue with outdoor activities.
    • As long as you practice social distancing, we encourage you to continue your outdoor activities such as walks, runs and yardwork, to the extent your health allows it.

DisneyCane

Again, the “stay at home” orders were not literally stay INSIDE your home:

From the California March 19 directive:

• Continue with outdoor activities.
    • As long as you practice social distancing, we encourage you to continue your outdoor activities such as walks, runs and yardwork, to the extent your health allows it.
I guess you missed the "stay inside, stay alive" slogan back then. It doesn't matter what the literal order was, that's how it was "marketed."

correcaminos

Totally curious. How do people feel about hoarding vaccine appointments? I'm in some hunting groups and I found someone who always has appointments to transfer. It feels wrong to do just so they get the ability to be a savior, but we are still struggling to have appointments available in our county. I'm beginning to wonder if there are more people like that who are taking slots.

Yes, the Irish Festival is August 6-8 so hopefully it happens. Though looking at those dates, God willing, we will miss it this year due to being in Hawaii for our 25th anniversary! Hoping for a normal summer and Hawaii allowing travelers.
Well that's a great reason not to go! Fingers crossed!

havoc315

I guess you missed the "stay inside, stay alive" slogan back then. It doesn't matter what the literal order was, that's how it was "marketed."

Bull. Might have been your perception. But the guidance was always that you could safely go outside socially distanced.

There has been so much untruthful revisionist history, it’s crazy. I’m sure there were some idiots who believed you should stay indoors, just as there are idiots who oppose mask requirements.
But the guidance — and anybody with a half a brain — was always that it was safe to go outdoors socially distanced.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Totally curious. How do people feel about hoarding vaccine appointments? I'm in some hunting groups and I found someone who always has appointments to transfer. It feels wrong to do just so they get the ability to be a savior, but we are still struggling to have appointments available in our county. I'm beginning to wonder if there are more people like that who are taking slots.

I don’t like it. I made an appointment when Ohio was allowing them for everyone but then I found one in a small town earlier and once I was able to secure the sooner appointment, I cancelled the other one. By hoarding, people who don’t have hours on end to search, find no appointments still in local pharmacies.

correcaminos

I don’t like it. I made an appointment when Ohio was allowing them for everyone but then I found one in a small town earlier and once I was able to secure the sooner appointment, I cancelled the other one. By hoarding, people who don’t have hours on end to search, find no appointments still in local pharmacies.
We always canceled old appointments if we found better. If you don't have hours and you don't know who has dozens, then you are just forced to wait until it becomes easier. I think it's one thing to say "let me help you" to individuals, but another to just book a bunch so you can say "I booked for dozens of people" which is what some seem to do.

DisneyCane

Bull. Might have been your perception. But the guidance was always that you could safely go outside socially distanced.

There has been so much untruthful revisionist history, it’s crazy. I’m sure there were some idiots who believed you should stay indoors, just as there are idiots who oppose mask requirements.
But the guidance — and anybody with a half a brain — was always that it was safe to go outdoors socially distanced.
Ummm.... It wasn't my perception. People would literally say, "stay inside, stay alive."

Did you ever look at webcams of New York City a year ago?

Heppenheimer

I'm against it. Partially for the same reason I'm against ticket scalping... it creates an artificial scarcity through an unneeded middleman (or it makes a real scarcity artificially more scarce). I believe economists call this "rent seeking", even if the appointment hoarder is not personally benefitting from the practice.

And, one of the reasons why many people are hesitant right now is because of the difficulty in obtaining an appointment. Hoarding appointments, no matter the intention, seems counter-productive if we want to get everyone on board.

jinx8402

Ummm.... It wasn't my perception. People would literally say, "stay inside, stay alive."

Did you ever look at webcams of New York City a year ago?
That is a bit different than the response above saying someone who owned a farm had to stay inside. NYC is a unique scenario, so staying home probably does entail staying inside your actual residence for the most part. But it was never you need to be inside your home 100% of time. It was stay at home and don't go places unless you absolutely need to.

sullyinMT

“Safer at Home,” “Shelter in Place.” I’ve said it a million times, words matter. The actual mandates seldom reflected the news marketing.

Just like now, where there’s a lot of intellectual dishonesty about how “closed” the nation, or pockets of it, still are. Folks get whipped up too easily. I’m guilty sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom