Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So it might probably not any more future new variants if vaccines end pandemic by end of 2021 in USA?
Assuming we get enough people vaccinated in the next 6 weeks to 2 months I’m confident we get out of this mostly in the US. Worldwide the pandemic will still go on longer due to most of the world being behind in vaccinations. If we are careful with opening the borders it shouldn’t pose a huge threat here. The US also has the responsibility to aid the rest of the world in getting vaccines done as quickly as possible as soon as things are under control here. We will have millions of extra vaccine doses that can help a lot of others.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Assuming we get enough people vaccinated in the next 6 weeks to 2 months I’m confident we get out of this mostly in the US. Worldwide the pandemic will still go on longer due to most of the world being behind in vaccinations. If we are careful with opening the borders it shouldn’t pose a huge threat here. The US also has the responsibility to aid the rest of the world in getting vaccines done as quickly as possible as soon as things are under control here. We will have millions of extra vaccine doses that can help a lot of others.
So USA will not gonna have huge threat again anymore I'm scared, the rest of the world will have a threat?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So USA will not gonna have huge threat again anymore I'm scared, the rest of the world will have a threat?
I think once enough people get vaccinated the huge threat is over. There are places like the UK and Israel that are ahead of the US on vaccines and other places in Europe and around the world that are far behind. Our nearest neighbors, Canada and Mexico, are not too far behind the US and can hopefully catch up by the end of the year at the latest.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I think once enough people get vaccinated the huge threat is over. There are places like the UK and Israel that are ahead of the US on vaccines and other places in Europe and around the world that are far behind. Our nearest neighbors, Canada and Mexico, are not too far behind the US and can hopefully catch up by the end of the year at the latest.
After a huge threat ends in USA soon as USA will not have huge threat anymore, the rest of the world will have still huge threat as virus outrage like UK, Europe, India, etc....

Jrb1979

After a huge threat ends in USA soon as USA will not have huge threat anymore, the rest of the world will have still huge threat as virus outrage like UK, Europe, India, etc....
I wouldn't worry about that. The government of Canada is working with other countries in developing a vaccine passport for travel.

Tom P.

So, there is a media event at 4:30 pm today.. Expect announcement of further things opening for summer.
Strong rumors that fireworks will be announced for the summer.
A soft rumor that there will be an announcement related to the future of fastpass.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear about more resort reopening plans.
And while it may not be formally announced at the event, I expect summer discounts to be announced very shortly.

Few weeks ago, I posted this:

So here we are, early April.... As to any major Summer policy changes, entertainment or resorts coming back for summer, I expect we will be hearing it today.
Is the media event available as a live stream? Or is it something that media types are just attending and reporting on afterward?

havoc315

Is the media event available as a live stream? Or is it something that media types are just attending and reporting on afterward?

I don't believe it's being streamed.
There was a travel agent event earlier -- I was expecting summer discounts to be announced, but (according to reports) it ended up being nothing but a rehash of known information.

The 4:30 event may be nothing more than promotion of Disneyland's re-opening. No indication from any source I've seen as to whether anything "big" is coming out of the event.

Plenty of rumors are flying about night time entertainment right now. But even those rumors don't quite suggest that any announcement is imminent.

Incomudro

"Stay home" as an initial response was wise. It was an urgent public health crisis. Not exactly time for nuance right away.
But very quickly... within a couple of weeks, guidance should have been (and mostly was) updated to reflect the safety of outdoor socially distanced activities. Go for a hike, go fishing, go for a drive, etc.

And even the worst mask worn the worst way... is still useful. It's always been about combining modalities to reduce the rate and risk of infection.
So even if the mask only reduces the level of infection by 5%, that's still better than 0% reduction. (even "bad" masks tend to reduce infection risk by over 50%).
No it wasn't a wise response.
It was damned stupid.
It was a sledgehammer approach that was not needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A valid point, but it was pretty well documented that a lot of the people there also had private indoor meetings together at the same time. There’s no way to know who got infected outside vs indoors and it’s not like the players involved were going to be willing to share all of their actions publicly.

I agree we don't know where they people were actually infected, but I also think that just because something it outside doesn't make it safe. Passing someone in a park is no big deal, but sitting shoulder to shoulder with one or more infected people for an extended period of time is going to have risk even outside.

Patcheslee

Use the gaiters with the mask as a fashion accessory. Mask with a gaiter looks a lot better than a simple mask.
The gaiters don't fit us, that's why those are unused. Even if they fit, with the rule changes at work and school, they can't be worn.
Fifty dollars to, in some case, hundreds of thousands of dollars, is not comparable.
What's the population of people that have had to purchase a different mask due to policy changes? It's not like I'm the only person that has had to do this. Yes a ventilation system can be hundreds of thousands of dollars- for something that lasts how many years? The gaiters didn't even last a day.

Incomudro

It's easy in hindsight to say it was unwise but at the time we just didn't know enough about the virus.
Hindsight?
People who live alone on big farms were told to stay home.
People who live on acres of land were given the same message.
It made no sense then either.
And "stay home" was often directed as stay indoors.
Yet, they'd stack us up on a line to get into Home Depot, Costco etc.
Standing six feet from each other - often downwind for prolonged periods of time, while waiting for the stores capacity to lower.
But hey, we were wearing surgical masks or "face coverings."
Meanwhile, had they just let us in, we could have much more easily given each other more space and for briefer periods of time around each other.

Incomudro

I agree we don't know where they people were actually infected, but I also think that just because something it outside doesn't make it safe. Passing someone in a park is no big deal, but sitting shoulder to shoulder with one or more infected people for an extended period of time is going to have risk even outside.
I'm with you here 100%.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 84 new reported deaths, along with 2 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.24.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.24.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.24.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 2.24.01 PM.png

Jrb1979

It was damned stupid.
Ontario Canada thinks it's a wise decision. We are in lockdown til May 9th. Only essential businesses are allowed open. Costco and Walmart must have non essential items blocked off.

havoc315

It was damned stupid.

Sledgehammer was needed. I saw people dropping dead left and right... 3 colleagues passed away in the first month (by mid April 2020).
So hitting the emergency brake was indeed the proper response. Ok, so you're advised not to go fishing for a week, oh no.

As I said... I agree that within days/weeks, you could reassess and start to add nuance. And in reality, even right away, the stay at home orders said it was perfectly safe to be outdoors socially distanced. There was never an order in the US in any state telling people not to leave their house.

havoc315

Hindsight?
People who live alone on big farms were told to stay home.
That's simply false. Nobody was ever told they had to stay indoors.

For example, California.. March 16, 2020, issued the following guidance:

• Remain at home until order is rescinded, or until further guidance is issued.
    • Cancel any non-essential travel, appointments, etc.
    • For routine medical care, contact your health care provider to discuss rescheduling.
  • Continue with outdoor activities.
    • As long as you practice social distancing, we encourage you to continue your outdoor activities such as walks, runs and yardwork, to the extent your health allows it.

There is no reason to lie about the past stay home orders.

Incomudro

Ontario Canada thinks it's a wise decision. We are in lockdown til May 9th. Only essential businesses are allowed open. Costco and Walmart must have non essential items blocked off.
Don't get me started on Canada, and what they think is wise.

Incomudro

Sledgehammer was needed. I saw people dropping dead left and right... 3 colleagues passed away in the first month (by mid April 2020).
So hitting the emergency brake was indeed the proper response. Ok, so you're advised not to go fishing for a week, oh no.

As I said... I agree that within days/weeks, you could reassess and start to add nuance. And in reality, even right away, the stay at home orders said it was perfectly safe to be outdoors socially distanced. There was never an order in the US in any state telling people not to leave their house.
Parks, beaches etc., were closed for far longer than a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom