Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie225

If you're looking for appointments in NY, try using this link. It's a nonprofit organization that searches canceled appointments and redistributes them to people who need them. I'm on Long Island, reached out to them on a Monday at 4, and Tuesday at 11am I had my first shot of the juice. I've gotten so many of my friends signed up through this.
Thanks for the link. My whole family/extended family/friends got both doses already, but I will pass the link on to anyone else who may need it.

Nubs70

Yes, but wearing a mask is cheap and easy, fixing ventilation, which in the long term is the right thing to do, it a lot harder and more expensive in a lot of cases.
My position is that one needs to analyze their specific situation and act in their best interest.

One of my customers has an enclosed cubicle farm that many of my contacts have their offices. Each office only has a wall mounted AC unit as ventilation. I will not go in there with am mask or not. Out on the ventilated floor, I still wear a mask even many people do not.

_caleb

Nubs70

We spent most of April and May of last year boating and fishing, as did many other people in WI.
My governor outlawed fishing, boating, golf etc. in the entire state until miraculously the portion of the state where her summer vacation home is located was deemed safe for outdoor activity. Thus the outdoor activity ban for that specific area was rescinded.

Your WI problem in the fall was because of the Packers.

Nubs70

The White House Rose garden is an outdoor environment.

But what activities and interactions were taking place outside of the camera lens? Were people in enclosed environments at close proximity for prolonged amounts of time?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The White House Rose garden is an outdoor environment.

A valid point, but it was pretty well documented that a lot of the people there also had private indoor meetings together at the same time. There’s no way to know who got infected outside vs indoors and it’s not like the players involved were going to be willing to share all of their actions publicly.

Touchdown

No our fall problem was because no one took this seriously after Evers orders were struck down and the weather changed. The massive outdoor boating party on Lake Winnebago in August combined with the bikers who went to Sturgis is what was the true seeds of WI’s spike.

_caleb

My position is that one needs to analyze their specific situation and act in their best interest.

One of my customers has an enclosed cubicle farm that many of my contacts have their offices. Each office only has a wall mounted AC unit as ventilation. I will not go in there with am mask or not. Out on the ventilated floor, I still wear a mask even many people do not.
Difficult to do when you don’t have access to the information needed in order to “analyze their specific situation and act in their best interest.”

For guests choosing to visit WDW, how many know what the ventilation situations are in the various buildings? And what happens when someone decides to visit because they see it advertised that distancing and masks are enforced, but then in reality those things are not enforced (as some have reported happening at Disney Springs?

And then we see how many people, even with all the information they need, act against their best interest (and that of the community) anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My governor outlawed fishing, boating, golf etc. in the entire state until miraculously the portion of the state where her summer vacation home is located was deemed safe for outdoor activity. Thus the outdoor activity ban for that specific area was rescinded.

We did screw up a lot on stopping outdoor activities last Spring. Playgrounds and sports fields and even some public parks by me were closed. At least we evolved restrictions and kept most of that stuff open going forward.

_caleb

A valid point, but it was pretty well documented that a lot of the people there also had private indoor meetings together at the same time. There’s no way to know who got infected outside vs indoors and it’s not like the players involved were going to be willing to share all of their actions publicly.
But this is the problem with the analysis that “significant spread has never been traced to any outdoor environment”— it always comes down to the technicality that it’s extremely difficult to trace outbreaks to outdoor environments (such as WDW parks) because infections can always be blamed on other places (people sleep indoors before/after their visits and also tend to travel in cars, monorails, gondolas, planes, etc.). Also, true contact tracing isn’t actually being done.

Most of those who claim ”you can’t prove the virus spreads outdoors!” are also not trying too hard to prove that’s the case (and most seem to have incentive to not find evidence outdoor spread).

havoc315

Thanks for the link. My whole family/extended family/friends got both doses already, but I will pass the link on to anyone else who may need it.

It's actually pretty easy to get an appointment in New York, if you are mildly persistent and know the tricks.
I already have an appointment for my 16-year-old son for tomorrow in Westchester County.

Trick #1 -- The State "mega sites" -- Ignore the front page that says "no appointments available" - Click on the nearest mega sites anyway. They are constantly adding appointments, people cancelling, etc. Even where the front page says no appointments are available, there often are. If there aren't any, refresh an hour later. If you try a few times, you will get an appointment scheduled.
#2 -- Check the pharmacy websites regularly.

Basically, a lot of people who are having trouble getting appointments are just looking at the front page of the "am I eligible" site, seeing that it says none are available, and giving up for the day.

I just tried it myself: Despite listing no appointments on the front page, Javitz actually had an appointment for tomorrow, 4/9. (They come and go within seconds)
Ulster County had 1 appointment for April 12th
I refreshed again.. Jatvitz 4/9 was gone, but they had an appointment for 5/12 open..

So if you spend a few minutes cycling through and refreshing, you definitely can get an appointment. It can be frustrating for those less computer savvy.

Chi84

Premium Member
We did screw up a lot on stopping outdoor activities last Spring. Playgrounds and sports fields and even some public parks by me were closed. At least we evolved restrictions and kept most of that stuff open going forward.
True. It wasn't very long before the CDC stated that transmission occurred primarily indoors among people who were in contact with each other for a significant amount of time.

hopemax

Hadn't seen this mentioned yet.
Hope we hear some details on what this is all about.
Since this is my neck of the woods and where I got my Moderna, I have been paying attention.

It was 11 people.

The reported issues were dizziness and nausea.

In an abundance of caution, 2 people were transported to the hospital. The rest were treated with juice and water.

So dehydration, plus probably a little needle anxiety. Within the realm of expected reactions.

ABQ

Since this is my neck of the woods and where I got my Moderna, I have been paying attention.

It was 11 people.

In an abundance of caution, 2 people were transported to the hospital. The rest were treated with juice and water.

So dehydration, plus probably a little needle anxiety. Within the realm of expected reactions.
Good to know. It just stinks as I know a few people who are totally on the fence about getting a shot and the only realm of possibility in convincing them to take any would be the single dose J&J. So any negative news they blow out of proportion and just say "see, no way I'm taking that thing"

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

It was 11 people.

Since its sort of related,

When I got my first shot a couple weeks ago, I walked in and did my paperwork, and as I was doing that I saw a man pacing, and visibly shaking. Didn't think too much about it until he was sitting there about to get the needle in his arm. As soon as the nurse pulled it out of his arm, the man passes out HARD, like pounding on his chest and he still won't respond. Finally about 20 seconds later (felt like an hour) he comes out of it.

Everyone was freaking out (accept the awesome nurse administering the vaccines) thinking it was the vaccine that made him pass out. Turns out the guy forgot to tell the nurse of his extreme phobia of needles and that he has passed out before when taking any shot. Talk about an exciting first dose.

ABQ

Well, we're screwed. Is going to be another BIG wave or just another wave or not...USA is doomed now....is vaccines will gonna avoid this wave and future spikes/surges to get better?
This part of the article offers some level of relief:

All three vaccines authorized in the U.S. -- Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson -- have proven to work effectively against the B-117 variant.

The vaccines are also expected to provide immunity for at least six months, and likely longer, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s chief infectious disease expert, said at Wednesday’s briefing.

While the vaccines are all highly effective, experts say only time will tell how long that protection lasts. Fauci added another level of hope on Wednesday, saying studies showed immunity was likely to last "well beyond" six months.​

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Patcheslee

Yes, but wearing a mask is cheap and easy, fixing ventilation, which in the long term is the right thing to do, it a lot harder and more expensive in a lot of cases.
Define "cheap" I spent a good $50 over the past year on masks because of fit issues, policy changes, etc. before I found some that complied and fit me and the kid. Now we have random unused neck gaiters that look like they might make an interesting quilt or pillow. A few tie in the back were deemed unacceptable for work safety.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
This part of the article offers some level of relief:

All three vaccines authorized in the U.S. -- Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson -- have proven to work effectively against the B-117 variant.

The vaccines are also expected to provide immunity for at least six months, and likely longer, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s chief infectious disease expert, said at Wednesday’s briefing.

While the vaccines are all highly effective, experts say only time will tell how long that protection lasts. Fauci added another level of hope on Wednesday, saying studies showed immunity was likely to last "well beyond" six months.​
So the vaccines are most likely protection for longer like years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom