Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosse76

I was away in Manhattan for the weekend and I was extremely disappointed in the people there. Only about half the people I saw were correctly wearing their masks over their nose and mouth. About 20% had their masks just atound their necks.
Were you in Times Square? New Yorkers who live in Manhattan are more compliant (it's the borough with lowest infection rate and highest vaccination rate). Most of the people you see without a mask are from the outer boroughs, Harlem/Washington Heights, or tourists.

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
No credible infectious disease expert believes that a return to normalcy will occur until the end of the year, with the possibility of masks still in use through the beginning of 2020. This is because of the variants and vaccine hesitancy.
^ Please stop I don't want to wait until beginning of 2022 god's sakes. EVEN variants and vaccine hesitancy could make people crazy about it? NOOOO! Even this is the future of freedom and happiness. Masks and social distancing may go away by late summer/fall/winter depends cases and variants fade away quickly if the people NEEDs to get a vaccine most possible. I want go back to normal very soon by late summer aka July or fall/winter so badly. Variants and vaccine hesitancy are so stupid. Plus even experts can do that know everything will go back to normal by fall/winter NOT July, jeez I want to help that's all.

fosse76

Cruises don’t operate entirely within Florida, do they? How could they be subject to a Florida executive order?
They aren't. Florida has criminal and some civil law jurisdiction, but ports and ships are mostly regulated under federal law.

fosse76

Update: I originally had Moderna dose 1 on April 6. I was able to call this morning and get Pfizer on April 5. This is key since I’ll now get dose 2 before my Disney trip on 4/29.
Thats cutting it kind of close. The side effects are mostly occurring after the second dose. Hopefully you won't experience them or it'll jut be minor (like a headache).

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
^ Please stop I don't want to wait until beginning of 2022 god's sakes. EVEN variants and vaccine hesitancy could make people crazy about it? NOOOO! Even this is the future of freedom and happiness. Masks and social distancing may go away by late summer/fall/winter depends cases and variants fade away quickly if the people NEEDs to get a vaccine most possible. I want go back to normal very soon by late summer aka July or fall/winter so badly. Variants and vaccine hesitancy are so stupid. Plus even experts can do that know everything will go back to normal by fall/winter NOT July, jeez I want to help that's all.
Nobody knows when “normal” will happen again. It will look different in different places depending on how it’s spreading. The USA might see a semblance of normal this fall, but you have to realize it can all change because even though we are vaccinating, other countries have yet to start which will contribute to it spreading. I don’t see Disney dropping its restrictions until rates around the world start dropping. I get it’s frustrating, but the truth is no one knows when we can go without masks and distancing again until it gets announced. Just do you part (get vaccinated and wear your mask) and help the spread slow here and know that it won’t last forever.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Nobody knows when “normal” will happen again. It will look different in different places depending on how it’s spreading. The USA might see a semblance of normal this fall, but you have to realize it can all change because even though we are vaccinating, other countries have yet to start which will contribute to it spreading. I don’t see Disney dropping its restrictions until rates around the world start dropping. I get it’s frustrating, but the truth is no one knows when we can go without masks and distancing again until it gets announced. Just do you part (get vaccinated and wear your mask) and help the spread slow here and know that it won’t last forever.
^ Unless President Biden did announcing there will may back to normal by July 4th with possible masks and social distancing may go away for good if the spread was slow and cases will drop faster to decrease.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was away in Manhattan for the weekend and I was extremely disappointed in the people there. Only about half the people I saw were correctly wearing their masks over their nose and mouth. About 20% had their masks just atound their necks.

Anyway, on to the numbers. Michigan is clearly the disgrace of the country with 64 cases per 100,000 with NJ second at 49 and NY third at 40. 11 states are in single digits but Texas may enter that area soon as they are down to 10. Think about this, California and Texas are currently averaging a combined 5,635 new cases a day, while NY the fourth most populated states alone is averaging 7,850 and Michigan is averaging 6,431 and not to minimize Florida which is averaging a tiny bit less than California and Texas combined at 5,493 new cases a day. Put another way NY, Michigan and Florida have an average of 19,744 cases or 30.9% of all the US cases.
The hot spots are emerging like wild fires at this point. Possibly inflamed by more contagious variants.

At this point, it seems it doesn't matter whether the hot spot has a history of good or bad virus protocols. There are people everywhere being lax and passing it along. Just recently, Texas and California were the hot spots. But the virus 'burned through' those states among those who were (making themselves) vulnerable, and has now died down there.

Half the states -- *half of them* -- have rising case numbers. At this point, shaming the top ones is pointless since a hot spot only gets hotter, which is the nature of a geometrically increasing progress of the spread of the disease.

And all should keep in mind: half the states have rising numbers even as their percentage of vaccinated population has grown. Yes, at some point the number of vaccinated should change that. But, since it hasn't yet for half the states... don't count on a turnaround soon. It will be weeks and weeks.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
The hot spots are emerging like wild fires at this point. Possibly inflamed by more contagious variants.

At this point, it seems it doesn't matter whether the hot spot has a history of good or bad virus protocols. There are people everywhere being lax and passing it along. Just recently, Texas and California were the hot spots. But the virus 'burned through' those states among those who were (making themselves) vulnerable, and has now died down there.

Half the states -- *half of them* -- have rising case numbers. At this point, shaming the top ones is pointless since a hot spot only gets hotter, which is the nature of a geometrically increasing progress of the spread of the disease.

And all should keep in mind: half the states have rising numbers even as their percentage of vaccinated population has grown. Yes, at some point the number of vaccinated should change that. But, since it hasn't yet for half the states... don't count on a turnaround soon. It will be weeks and weeks.
^ So that's mean fourth wave may cause worse if NY and NJ as other half states will getting worse, then the cases will may not decrease until next month/June so it will go down faster by July or August/September. Don't expect people are going happy but worried about danger variants and possible do nothing until beginning of 2022. As like last year's problems, which is going to be nothing again in summer and possible fall/winter because variants RUINED our normal plans AGAIN! I wish variants will go away soon as fourth wave can't be any worse like Spring Break, etc....this is GOING to be very long year as variants takes over America, I'm so bored since last year. Pandemic is very stupid idea of my life. @MisterPenguin so no one knows when pandemic is going to end also masks and social distancing will gone for good?

Jrb1979

^ So that's mean fourth wave may cause worse if NY and NJ as other half states will getting worse, then the cases will may not decrease until next month/June so it will go down faster by July or August/September. Don't expect people are going happy but worried about danger variants and possible do nothing until beginning of 2022. As like last year's problems, which is going to be nothing again in summer and possible fall/winter because variants RUINED our normal plans AGAIN! I wish variants will go away soon as fourth wave can't be any worse like Spring Break, etc....this is GOING to be very long year as variants takes over America, I'm so bored since last year. Pandemic is very stupid idea of my life. @MisterPenguin so no one knows when pandemic is going to end also masks and social distancing will gone for good?
Outside of wearing masks and social distancing, a lot of the other restrictions are loosening. They have said masks and social distancing will probably be here til fall or after.

I have had no problem enjoying life and not being bored through most of this. I did some roadtrips in my area and was up at my trailer for a lot of last summer. I plan to do the same this summer. I tried to make the best of it. I personally think if more did that you would have less complaining.

Touchdown

I don’t think it will be weeks and weeks, most of the PH experts (who have a track record of picking very conservative estimates) have said 4-6 weeks this weekend. Looking to Israel it was at around 40% vaccinated that their curve started to bend, nationally we stand at 32% this morning, with most of the country set to open vaccinations to everyone after completing the holiday weekend. At the pace we are going, we should hit that 40% number in 2-4 weeks, which is why the experts picked 4-6 weeks (because they heged their estimate on when all those 40% become partially protected) even though that did not happen in Israel. I think 1 month, is really the mean of when the upswing will cease. I also don’t think it’s going to get as bad as MI everywhere as that state had a realitively low fall surge, as did the NE states that are currently in the thick of it.

There is no reason FL, WI or the SE states should be lagging the hot states, compliance with masking is getting worse anicdotially from experience there but yet no major upswing yet. I think those states, due to their terrible fall surge still have a degree of natural immunity that is helping to boost protection. Let’s just hope vaccinations continue at their current rates and we don’t see widespread hesitancy. Maybe this surge and the media focused on talking about young people getting hospitalized will help focus the younger Americans to get their shots ASAP.

JoeCamel

Your last line was the takeaway, no one knows what will work or when we are back to normal whatever that is. We keep trying, masking, distancing and getting shots in arms until we don't have to any longer.

correcaminos

I mean this with all sincerity. I do not think this thread is a great place for your specific questions. No one here knows anything for sure and outside of one or two none of us are even health professionals let alone experts. I think you should truly find a trusted adult not on a Disney forum to talk to about this. We can all guess what happens, but we can be wrong. The end is no one knows for sure. We've all been suffering though and mental health has taken a hit. Vaccines are helping, it just takes time.

ToTBellHop

I read JnJ thinks they could have their vaccine ready for kids by September (they can do this more quickly since their similar Ebola vaccine was already used in children safely and successfully). That would be wonderful. This virus shows seasonality, so it is expected numbers will decline as we head into summer regardless. If we can vaccinate kids in early fall, we could avoid a fall surge. The one-dose would be ideal for kids (many of whom would be difficult to convince to get two shots) and, since delivery of that vaccine has been quite slow, we should have quite a surplus of that vaccine by early fall. Also, it can be administered in a pediatrician‘s office since it doesn’t need to be kept particularly cold.

Summer and early fall will be a very important time for vaccination in the northern hemisphere and our success or failure will determine how fall goes.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll see what happens to me on Thursday but I must have an unlucky group of family and friends. With a mix of pfizer and Moderna around 80% of the people I know had chills and/or severe fatigue after shot #2. It lasted for less than a day and a half in all cases.
My second shot is Thursday too. My parents both got second shots of Moderna last week. My mom had nothing but sore arm and my dad got the flu symptoms. It seems about 50/50 to me anecdotally. In the trials it was less.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I read JnJ thinks they could have their vaccine ready for kids by September (they can do this more quickly since their similar Ebola vaccine was already used in children safely and successfully). That would be wonderful. This virus shows seasonality, so it is expected numbers will decline as we head into summer regardless. If we can vaccinate kids in early fall, we could avoid a fall surge. The one-dose would be ideal for kids (many of whom would be difficult to convince to get two shots) and, since delivery of that vaccine has been quite slow, we should have quite a surplus of that vaccine by early fall. Also, it can be administered in a pediatrician‘s office since it doesn’t need to be kept particularly cold.

Summer and early fall will be a very important time for vaccination in the northern hemisphere and our success or failure will determine how fall goes.
A fall surge again? No no more surges, that won't be happen because by late summer the pandemic should be almost over soon right @GoofGoof

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No credible infectious disease expert believes that a return to normalcy will occur until the end of the year, with the possibility of masks still in use through the beginning of 2020. This is because of the variants and vaccine hesitancy.
No credible infectious disease expert would say they could possibly predict what will happen with variants or how much vaccine hesitancy we will face. The people saying no return to normal until 2022 are doing that for effect. They want to shock and make headlines.

Right now the 3 vaccines approved for use in the US are highly effective vs the variants that are common in the US. That’s a fact. Any “expert” who is claiming that a return to normal cannot occur this year due to the expected emergence of a new variant is making a guess at best. On vaccine hesitancy, we have no idea how many people won’t get vaccinated. We have polls but even with that the numbers keep improving every poll that’s run and less and less people are in the no category. We also have no idea how many people need to be vaccinated in order to reach herd immunity. We have estimates and guesses but even if we knew what percent needed to be immune we don’t know how many people in the unvaccinated group will have natural immunity.

So again, anyone who says we won’t see a return to normal this year due to vaccine hesitancy is just making a doom and gloom guess. It’s no more accurate or based in reality than someone saying the pandemic will be over in May. Both things are possible outcomes and neither are likely.

ToTBellHop

A fall surge again? No no more surges, that won't be happen because by late summer the pandemic should be almost over soon right @GoofGoof
There will be future surges because it is a respiratory illness. Flu has yearly surges. But, hopefully, our vaccines are good enough that we can manage them without high rates of hospitalization and death. We won’t know until we know. All we know right now is that vaccination is our best hope.

fgmnt

I think the WHO-defined pandemic will last for at least another year, because there are plenty of people outside of the G20 (and even inside!) with no accelerated timeline to be vaccinated. I think the dwindling amount of pandemic safety measures within America, for Americans will wind down between July and September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom