Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

For some kids, schools provide their only good meal of the day. There is also the problem of who stays home with the kids if they are remote learning. If neither parent can work from home that causes problems.
The only good meal has nothing to do with education. (Obviously children should be getting good meals... but feeding children isn’t why schools exist).

Who stays home with the kids over the summer?

Also... this is beginning to get a bit off-topic so maybe I shouldn’t continue... I’m just thinking that education could use a refresh just like the cubicle farms and offices of the world.

It’s a shame someone couldn’t build a theme park devoted to future technology used in work and learning. Imagine a ride where people watch students video-charring with their parents from an under -sea learning facility. Crazy!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The only good meal has nothing to do with education. (Obviously children should be getting good meals... but feeding children isn’t why schools exist).

Who stays home with the kids over the summer?

A good meal SHOULDN'T have anything to do with education, but it does.

Some parents send their kids to day care or to camps or other activities during the summer. There are plenty of ways to deal with that issue short term that aren't sustainable long term. Some of those types of things aren't currently available due to the pandemic,.

correcaminos

To not quote but to add to the discussion. We just went back to all in after teachers were vaccinated, but stupidly not 2 weeks past 2nd dose, but days later. We were either hybrid or distance learning (zooms daily during the school day for middle and high, no clue what grade school did) the rest of the year. Parents even sued the district to try to get all in hence not waiting 2 weeks

Kids do get face to face interactions
They do get to socialize some, but not fully. People are kidding themselves if they think separated groups for eating and then 6' apart mixing after is the same as normal. My kid still hasn't seen his best friend in school in a year because they are split in 2 different groups.

However via zooms they did get group work in break out rooms
They got interaction with teachers.
Limited socialization though considering our D&D group has been distance only for almost a year, it's not horrible.

The biggest issue are the kids at risk. Ones with IEPs and 504 plans have had it harder though our schools did allow them more days in school even when distance
Underprivileged kids will be suffering the most. Not just food, which many schools tried to help, but also someone to watch when others wouldn't otherwise. I give kudos to many com companies for providing internet access to many.

Nothing is ideal. CDC is extremely clear on what they feel is best. Parents are tired though and for some it's a true hardship with kids out of school. Some districts spread elementary school kids across more schools and kept older kids remote for that reason.

If people worked together more though instead of pushing agendas I think we could have helped more instead of fighting about it. Sadly it's so political now that it's blatantly obvious in some cases who are die hard either way. Though deniers are more vocal about putting kids back despite recommendations at least locally. My district has multiple classes out on quarantine due to inability to distance. That never happened in hybrid. Consistency is paramount right now for kids as they often have none.

For the record I work from home only part time. So my offspring get the joy of being with me all summer, winter as well as spring break. I am looking at it more from others as a whole. I get this is hard and some areas had churches step up with care for those in need.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And yet the flights have been full and plentiful with no one checking if travel was essential or not. Honestly IMOP if they thought it was really that risky that would have acted far more seriously than just a recommendation. Big Bad Biden who campaigned on beating the virus didn't even have the balls to restrict it to essential travel only which makes me questions the actual risk.
Air travel is still down significantly 50-60% most days compared to pre-Covid times. There are substantially less flights each day and that sometimes does cause the remaining flights to be pretty full but that’s not a sign of a healthy recovery for airlines. There are still people traveling but there are many others following the CDC recommendations not to travel right now.

I’m not sure of legality of restricting Domestic flights between states. It was suggested a month or so ago that the government was considering preventing travel from areas where these variants could become dominant (at the time FL, NY and CA) and that drew quite a bit of controversy and talks of it being illegal to do. I think the only guaranteed legal tool the federal government has is to use the CDC to make a recommendation. It’s not a mandate and is not enforceable just like a federal mask mandate wouldn‘t be enforceable. It’s just giving people guidance on how they should proceed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is kind of hard to predict right now with how rapidly people have been vaccinated, with 18% of the population getting at least one dose. It's possible that what would have been a "surge" without widespread vaccination will instead turn into a plateau of cases. Plus, it's entirely possible that a greater proportion of those cases will be asymptomatic or mild if they follow vaccination.

Given the prioritization of vaccines for those who are more at-risk, I don't expect we'll see deaths and hospitalizations reach anywhere close to the levels we saw in November and December. Which was the whole point of those priorities.

I would not be surprised if we look back at January to March 2021 and find that variants somewhat limited the decrease in case numbers from vaccinations -- as in case numbers would be even lower right now if it weren't for those variants, so instead of causing a new surge, the variants just slowed down the decline.
That’s my hope as well. It would be ideal if people hung on and continued to restrain themselves for a little longer to help to really flatline the virus faster, but hopefully the impact is just a slowing of the decline and not a turn around into a spike in cases. We shall see. Either way if we get enough people vaccinated in a few months it shouldn‘t matter. It will just take longer for cases to drop because we will be starting from a higher number.

Heppenheimer

It’s a shame someone couldn’t build a theme park devoted to future technology used in work and learning. Imagine a ride where people watch students video-charring with their parents from an under -sea learning facility. Crazy!!!
Sounds like an intriguing idea. But I think it needs more IP insertion. Kids can't be allowed to forget that the Marvel Cinematic Universe exists while they learn.

Patcheslee

That’s my hope as well. It would be ideal if people hung on and continued to restrain themselves for a little longer to help to really flatline the virus faster, but hopefully the impact is just a slowing of the decline and not a turn around into a spike in cases. We shall see. Either way if we get enough people vaccinated in a few months it shouldn‘t matter. It will just take longer for cases to drop because we will be starting from a higher number.
Kinda hoping our local paper doesn't splash out latest daily numbers, we've been 0 twice in the last few days and highest a 5. But that could lead some to have a "reason" to stop any precautions.
Sure it's nice to see but I'll feel more confident the longer we get those 0 cases.

DisneyDebRob

Air travel is still down significantly 50-60% most days compared to pre-Covid times. There are substantially less flights each day and that sometimes does cause the remaining flights to be pretty full but that’s not a sign of a healthy recovery for airlines. There are still people traveling but there are many others following the CDC recommendations not to travel right now.

I’m not sure of legality of restricting Domestic flights between states. It was suggested a month or so ago that the government was considering preventing travel from areas where these variants could become dominant (at the time FL, NY and CA) and that drew quite a bit of controversy and talks of it being illegal to do. I think the only guaranteed legal tool the federal government has is to use the CDC to make a recommendation. It’s not a mandate and is not enforceable just like a federal mask mandate wouldn‘t be enforceable. It’s just giving people guidance on how they should proceed.

Airlines are losing around 100-125 million a day. The reason people say.. well my plane was packed.. is because the airlines keep moving people off of not to filled flights.. combining them with others to make a full one. I can’t tell you how many flights in the last 6 months have went from nonstop to a change of flight and now on a 1-stop or more my wife had to change for her clients. It’s crazy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Airlines are losing around 100-125 million a day. The reason people say.. well my plane was packed.. is because the airlines keep moving people off of not to filled flights.. combining them with others to make a full one. I can’t tell you how many flights in the last 6 months have went from nonstop to a change of flight and now on a 1-stop or more my wife had to change fir her clients. It’s crazy.
I have friends who cancelled a trip for Spring Break over that. They had direct flights booked both ways months ago and the airline just changed them to one flight with 1 stop and one flight with 2 stops. When they looked to switch flights there were no direct flights available for their dates without paying a boat load or switching airlines. They are going to just wait for the Summer now.

matt9112

My daughter lives/works in NYC, but for a year has worked out of her apartment. Hated it at first, loves it now. She says she doesn't even want to go back into her office -which she has never seen before, as she began working at this company after the shutdown.

Massive urban centers have just lost a HUGE competitive edge....

correcaminos

I have friends who cancelled a trip for Spring Break over that. They had direct flights booked both ways months ago and the airline just changed them to one flight with 1 stop and one flight with 2 stops. When they looked to switch flights there were no direct flights available for their dates without paying a boat load or switching airlines. They are going to just wait for the Summer now.
Ours switching to 6am got us thinking. Then seeing pics over holiday weekends made us really reconsider. We did opt to cancel entirely since our summer trip is so soon. 6 am flights out right at DST change is too much lol

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
While the opening of Remy is with the start of the 50th, I suspect they suspect things will be more normal by then. They also announced cruises till return this fall. Hopefully this is a good indication of restrictions being lifted by then if things continue their trend

zurj

To not quote but to add to the discussion. We just went back to all in after teachers were vaccinated, but stupidly not 2 weeks past 2nd dose, but days later. We were either hybrid or distance learning (zooms daily during the school day for middle and high, no clue what grade school did) the rest of the year. Parents even sued the district to try to get all in hence not waiting 2 weeks

Kids do get face to face interactions
They do get to socialize some, but not fully. People are kidding themselves if they think separated groups for eating and then 6' apart mixing after is the same as normal. My kid still hasn't seen his best friend in school in a year because they are split in 2 different groups.

However via zooms they did get group work in break out rooms
They got interaction with teachers.
Limited socialization though considering our D&D group has been distance only for almost a year, it's not horrible.

The biggest issue are the kids at risk. Ones with IEPs and 504 plans have had it harder though our schools did allow them more days in school even when distance
Underprivileged kids will be suffering the most. Not just food, which many schools tried to help, but also someone to watch when others wouldn't otherwise. I give kudos to many com companies for providing internet access to many.

Nothing is ideal. CDC is extremely clear on what they feel is best. Parents are tired though and for some it's a true hardship with kids out of school. Some districts spread elementary school kids across more schools and kept older kids remote for that reason.

If people worked together more though instead of pushing agendas I think we could have helped more instead of fighting about it. Sadly it's so political now that it's blatantly obvious in some cases who are die hard either way. Though deniers are more vocal about putting kids back despite recommendations. My district has multiple classes out on quarantine due to inability to distance. That never happened in hybrid. Consistency is paramount right now for kids as they often have none.

For the record I work from home only part time. So my offspring get the joy of being with me all summer, winter as well as spring break. I am looking at it more from others as a whole. I get this is hard and some areas had churches step up with care for those in need.
My favorite part is how you say it's a shame that people aren't working together and are instead people pushing political agendas... and then in the next sentence label everyone who thinks kids should just be back in school like normal as "deniers".

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 125 new reported deaths, along with 7 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.34.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.34.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.35.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 2.33.52 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom