Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

Governor Desantis had been all in on 65+ since the beginning. I don't think there is any risk of a sudden change to that policy. The issue is that to vaccinate all people 65 and over on FL plus the healthcare workers who were first requires almost 10 million doses and the State hasn't received even 1/3 of that yet. The mayor of Broward county sent an email last week that they expected to vaccinate (he didn't specify but I think he meant first dose) all 65+ who wanted the vaccine in 5-7 weeks. If I was to bet on it, I'd go for the longer estimate.
DeSantis did seem to move pretty quickly into the 65+ group, even leading the charge in that regard. I think the reservation in expansion is moving to 55-60+, or essential retail, or whatever comes next, and thus squeezing out the vulnerable in age before they’ve had a legitimate chance to get vaccinated. Like you rightfully said, the state hasn’t even come close (and neither have many) to receiving enough doses for their initial priority group, so why expand official eligibility any further?

Polkadotdress

I hope Florida (and other states) do not open up vaccinations to additional priority groups until they are close to having vacant reservations for vaccination. I mentioned before about a person in Brevard County who works fulltime and is 85 years old who has been trying to get himself and his wife vaccinated. For weeks he has been trying to get a vaccination in Brevard and has not gotten one due to the slots being reserved before he could get to them. Since 80% of the fatalities are 65 and over from Covid, it is good to make sure those in that age group that want to (once their priority group is active as it is in Florida) can get a vaccination reservation/slot. Otherwise that 85 year old worker will be competing for slots with even more people if other Priority Groups are activated too soon. Of course that is in regards to reservations/slots, if a shot is a leftover just get it into any willing arm.
I understand that both Pennsylvania and Alabama are currently allowing high-risk under 65.

correcaminos

I hope Florida (and other states) do not open up vaccinations to additional priority groups until they are close to having vacant reservations for vaccination. I mentioned before about a person in Brevard County who works fulltime and is 85 years old who has been trying to get himself and his wife vaccinated. For weeks he has been trying to get a vaccination in Brevard and has not gotten one due to the slots being reserved before he could get to them. Since 80% of the fatalities are 65 and over from Covid, it is good to make sure those in that age group that want to (once their priority group is active as it is in Florida) can get a vaccination reservation/slot. Otherwise that 85 year old worker will be competing for slots with even more people if other Priority Groups are activated too soon. Of course that is in regards to reservations/slots, if a shot is a leftover just get it into any willing arm.
There is a tiny risk in this though. They need to make sure appointments are filled the day of as to make sure vaccines don't go to waste. So there is a small balance to be had, but they need to do better allowing people in. I will say FL was a pain but better than here so far. The appointment I had for my dad was canceled with no word why. So now we struggle and hope we can get one today for next week... again. I spent only 3.5 hours attempting to get an appointment for my MIL in FL, but more here for one to be canceled.

Some very high risk are being allowed in with 70+ but only those with certain disabilities. Even asthma or T1D requires so severe they had to be hospitalized in the last year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are you really surprised after all the posts insisting that the pandemic was being played up to hurt Trump (as if the whole world were conspiring against him) and that everything would open up again after the election (it hasn’t)?

Not at all...stupid is as stupid votes...I mean “does”

I understand that both Pennsylvania and Alabama are currently allowing high-risk under 65.
God help us (actually doctors would be better) if those are the standard bearers

(I’m from pa...to be clear 😳)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

TrainsOfDisney

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Governor Desantis had been all in on 65+ since the beginning. I don't think there is any risk of a sudden change to that policy. The issue is that to vaccinate all people 65 and over on FL plus the healthcare workers who were first requires almost 10 million doses and the State hasn't received even 1/3 of that yet. The mayor of Broward county sent an email last week that they expected to vaccinate (he didn't specify but I think he meant first dose) all 65+ who wanted the vaccine in 5-7 weeks. If I was to bet on it, I'd go for the longer estimate.
My county in PA has officially moved 65+ and 16-64 with health conditions up to group 1a as recommended by the federal government now. They are not vaccinated those people yet as they are not done with medical workers. You can pre-register if you are in those new categories added but they aren’t opening the appointment calendar yet. If you pre-register they are supposed to send you an e-mail when you are eligible to make an appointment. The healthcare workers are supposed to be done as early as next week so it should be coming soon to the broader group. They have set aside enough doses for long term care facilities but that takes much longer because they have to go to each site and we have a lot of them. Not quite heaven’s waiting room like FL, but still a lot of those type of facilities.

My county has about 800,000 people but by expanding to 65+ and also younger people who are high risk they include an additional 250,000 people in the eligible pool or just under a third of the population. Like NJ did they are also including smokers as high risk and eligible with this group. Right now the county is receiving 5,000 doses a day so at that pace would take a full 100 days to finish that group (2 shots each) and that’s if they don’t expand to other 1b and 1c essential worker groups sooner like teachers, grocery store workers and others listed. It’s pretty obvious that we need to at least double the pace to get through all of group 1 by May 1 and then expand to anyone who wants one in May/June. For the broader distribution they have opened one mass vaccination center at the local community college and plan to open 1 or 2 more and have started expanding to local pharmacies. The county health officials say there’s plenty of capacity to vaccinate way more people, they just need more doses delivered.

carolina_yankee

According to the Bloomberg tracker the 7 day rolling average for daily vaccinations is 912,497 with enough all time doses distributed to fully vaccinated 5% of the population. The daily average is just a hair under the 1M a day needed to get to 100M vaccinations in 100 days. Today’s number was an all time high of 1.6M vaccinations. I am starting to think if we get 1 or 2 additional vaccines approved we could ramp up to 2.5M to 3.0M vaccinations a day once we expand vaccine locations and fully utilize the thousands of pharmacies ready to help. Instead of 100M vaccinations by May 1 it could be closer to 100M to 150M people fully vaccinated (both shots) and maybe more if JnJ is approved since it only needs 1 shot.

Barring a comple logistical breakdown, I'm anticipating a huge ramp up by the end of February. I think the JnJ vaccine should be in the mix by then. If numbers truly are going down right now and it's not just reporting lags for new infections, I'm very hopeful for late spring/summer given the vaccination potential.

As for credit, as others have brought up, I give the lion's share goes to the scientists and medical folk. The government authorities certainly have a role and I'll praise and criticize based on how well they do their part - but the real work was done by inventors and jabbers!

HarperRose

Disstevefan1

They had a plan;
Let the states ask for doses
Call FedEx for a a pickup
Give 1/3 to 1/2 of what states are allotted
Kick back and hope more vaccine comes in

What is wrong with that? It is a big, beautiful, wonderful bestest plan ever seen, no one could make a plan like this, no-one......
Don’t worry Amazon waited until after Joe and Kam was sworn in, now they announced they have a plan to help distribute the vaccine...

All those people that could have been saved if Amazon did not wait? Collateral damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom