Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polkadotdress

There are reporting delays that are making the usage look worse than it really is. Just look at the backfilled data on the FL report every day.

As far as second shot you have to wait either 3 or 4 weeks after the first shot. We're barely into that time frame for the initial injections.

I fully expect supply to be the issue in short order. How much it has to do with the new administration, we'll see. I'm give them credit if they implement things that make a real difference
Today, NYC, San Fran, and south FL are all reporting a shortage of vaccine dosages, which is causing them to have to cancel appointments.

GimpYancIent

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought disasters had been declared, but I could be confusing disaster and public health emergency.

So perhaps the brand of alphabet soup was misstated. But I stand by the sentiment that some facets of a centralized response, beyond shipping coordination and collecting data by the CDC, is what we need short term to get things moving more smoothly.
Amazon has now jumped into the mix. Careful what you ask for.

mmascari

Numbers are out - there were 142 new reported deaths, along with 3 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

View attachment 525413View attachment 525414View attachment 525415View attachment 525416
These posts are super helpful. I will still sad face them every time until the percent positivity is well below 5%. I still imagine how different things would be if we were doing strong enough contact tracing and driving testing with it to do 150,000+ tests a day back when it was near 5% instead of the well below 100,000 that was being done then. A time so long ago, it's before the current post.

There are reporting delays that are making the usage look worse than it really is. Just look at the backfilled data on the FL report every day.

As far as second shot you have to wait either 3 or 4 weeks after the first shot. We're barely into that time frame for the initial injections.

I fully expect supply to be the issue in short order. How much it has to do with the new administration, we'll see. I'm give them credit if they implement things that make a real difference
Yes and no. Usage is definitely a problem in some of the delivery channels while it's supply in others. It's definitely not uniform.

In our area, the county has supply issues not usage. They aren't getting any information on weekly delivery until the day or two before. Then they scramble to schedule appointments on short notice. The amount is varying dramatically week to week for them. They're using 98% of what they get within the week.

Hospitals however are only using less than 40% of what they've received each week. That's a usage issue not a supply one, and it's not just a reporting lag. It's enough of an issue that the governor is starting to apply pressure and telling them to start vaccinating beyond their staff.

From a sample of 2 that I know in PA, they're having similar issues.

There's a knock on effect from this then. Medical professionals, especially those providers that aren't directly hospital employees, people like small practice, clinics, veterinarians, and even some hospital employees are making county appointments to get vaccinated instead of getting it through the hospital distribution. This uses up a dose the county could have used for someone else that couldn't get it through the hospital.

These are all logistics issues from the top down that are completely solvable, but haven't been yet.

sullyinMT

Amazon has now jumped into the mix. Careful what you ask for.
So have Publix, CVS, Walgreens, Albertsons/OSCO, DrugMart, and countless other commercial pharmacies. Public-private cooperation has proven beneficial to our nation in the past and can work again. Their letter offers to assist with direct vaccination of their non WFH workforce via a licensed occupational health provider (unnamed), and to offer their assistance in data management

We can’t deny that AWS is incredibly talented in data management, and vaccine clinics like they propose are no different than Wal Mart, Costco, or Disney Parks doing the same thing for their employees. Similar on-site flu shot clinics are offered by plenty of large employers. It might even alleviate pressure from general public channels.

Heppenheimer

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought disasters had been declared, but I could be confusing disaster and public health emergency.

So perhaps the brand of alphabet soup was misstated. But I stand by the sentiment that some facets of a centralized response, beyond shipping coordination and collecting data by the CDC, is what we need short term to get things moving more smoothly.
The National Guard and reserves might be uniquely suited to ramping up vaccination sites, since their medical units do this kind of thing all the time pre and post deployment.

The downside, though, is that this could be a stealing-from-Peter-to-pay-Paul scenario, if it pulls too many people away from their normal medical jobs in their communities. There isn't a whole of idle medical manpower in the US right now.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If the pandemic ends this year I could care less who takes credit for it. Joe, Kam, crazy uncle Rudy, one of the Kardashians....makes no difference to me. I can’t believe people are so dug in with politics that there’s actually a concern about who gets credit when this all ends. We’re talking about the end of this god forsaken mess. Keep your eye on the ball.

I dont want anything with the last name of Kardashian near me with a needle. They show poor impulse control with injecting random compounds in various parts of their anatomies.

sullyinMT

The National Guard and reserves might be uniquely suited to ramping up vaccination sites, since their medical units do this kind of thing all the time pre and post deployment.

The downside, though, is that this could be a stealing-from-Peter-to-pay-Paul scenario, if it pulls too many people away from their normal medical jobs in their communities. There isn't a whole of idle medical manpower in the US right now.
I’ll pick your brain on something since you are uniquely positioned as a physician and veteran.

Anywhere I’ve lived and worked, there are multiple hospital systems that don’t always play well with each other. Could the National Guard or Army Corps of Engineers have a unit that brings existing teams together in larger sites (convention centers, sports stadiums), and assists in setting up a more coordinated effort at least in increasing available space? After a couple weeks, they move on to the next city/large center and rinse and repeat.

After they leave, there would of course be a backstop team assisting in answering questions and “holding feet to the fire” in terms of monitoring efficiencies in the system.

david10225

I’ll pick your brain on something since you are uniquely positioned as a physician and veteran.

Anywhere I’ve lived and worked, there are multiple hospital systems that don’t always play well with each other. Could the National Guard or Army Corps of Engineers have a unit that brings existing teams together in larger sites (convention centers, sports stadiums), and assists in setting up a more coordinated effort at least in increasing available space? After a couple weeks, they move on to the next city/large center and rinse and repeat.

After they leave, there would of course be a backstop team assisting in answering questions and “holding feet to the fire” in terms of monitoring efficiencies in the system.
Another resource is the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service. They have experience in working in large vaccination programs. For example, during hurricane Katrina, groups of USPHS members traveled around LA to the various shelters that were set up and provided needed mass vaccinations to the populations housed there. I know cause I was one of them :) (retired now)....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Official study released today that shows the Pfizer vaccine is effective against the new UK variant. The company had already said they believed this to be the case, but this is the official release of the study data.

Disney Experience

I hope Florida (and other states) do not open up vaccinations to additional priority groups until they are close to having vacant reservations for vaccination. I mentioned before about a person in Brevard County who works fulltime and is 85 years old who has been trying to get himself and his wife vaccinated. For weeks he has been trying to get a vaccination in Brevard and has not gotten one due to the slots being reserved before he could get to them. Since 80% of the fatalities are 65 and over from Covid, it is good to make sure those in that age group that want to (once their priority group is active as it is in Florida) can get a vaccination reservation/slot. Otherwise that 85 year old worker will be competing for slots with even more people if other Priority Groups are activated too soon. Of course that is in regards to reservations/slots, if a shot is a leftover just get it into any willing arm.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

The National Guard could definately provide infrastructure and material support, although finding locations to set up mass vaccination sites seems less of a problem.than organizing and staffing them.

Maybe one asset the Guard can offer that would be a force multiplier without taking as many civilian medical professionals off-line: combat medics. There really isn't a civilian counterpart to their job (they aren't equivalent to an EMT), but they can administer vaccinations, if supervised.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to the Bloomberg tracker the 7 day rolling average for daily vaccinations is 912,497 with enough all time doses distributed to fully vaccinated 5% of the population. The daily average is just a hair under the 1M a day needed to get to 100M vaccinations in 100 days. Today’s number was an all time high of 1.6M vaccinations. I am starting to think if we get 1 or 2 additional vaccines approved we could ramp up to 2.5M to 3.0M vaccinations a day once we expand vaccine locations and fully utilize the thousands of pharmacies ready to help. Instead of 100M vaccinations by May 1 it could be closer to 100M to 150M people fully vaccinated (both shots) and maybe more if JnJ is approved since it only needs 1 shot.

LittleBuford

I can’t believe people are so dug in with politics that there’s actually a concern about who gets credit when this all ends.
Are you really surprised after all the posts insisting that the pandemic was being played up to hurt Trump (as if the whole world were conspiring against him) and that everything would open up again after the election (it hasn’t)?

DisneyCane

I hope Florida (and other states) do not open up vaccinations to additional priority groups until they are close to having vacant reservations for vaccination. I mentioned before about a person in Brevard County who works fulltime and is 85 years old who has been trying to get himself and his wife vaccinated. For weeks he has been trying to get a vaccination in Brevard and has not gotten one due to the slots being reserved before he could get to them. Since 80% of the fatalities are 65 and over from Covid, it is good to make sure those in that age group that want to (once their priority group is active as it is in Florida) can get a vaccination reservation/slot. Otherwise that 85 year old worker will be competing for slots with even more people if other Priority Groups are activated too soon. Of course that is in regards to reservations/slots, if a shot is a leftover just get it into any willing arm.
Governor Desantis had been all in on 65+ since the beginning. I don't think there is any risk of a sudden change to that policy. The issue is that to vaccinate all people 65 and over on FL plus the healthcare workers who were first requires almost 10 million doses and the State hasn't received even 1/3 of that yet. The mayor of Broward county sent an email last week that they expected to vaccinate (he didn't specify but I think he meant first dose) all 65+ who wanted the vaccine in 5-7 weeks. If I was to bet on it, I'd go for the longer estimate.

Patcheslee

Good news our county hospital has been approved as 1b distribution site for Indiana right now that's ages 70+. As soon as they receive their first allotment they will open up appointments.
And county health director estimates it will open to 60+ ages in the next week or two.
Currently have 4% of our total county population with at least 1 shot. Indiana is up to 5% of total population. We're slowly getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom