Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreday3

To mirror some of what DisneyCane was saying earlier, though. In my state, over half the hospitalizations and 90% of the deaths have been for ages 65+, though they make up ~17% of the state population.

If we get those people vaccinated (and even at the current pace, that would take under 3 weeks) we will take a lot of burden off hospitals and the healthcare system.

Exactly. While ideally we want everyone to be vaccinated as quick as possible, vaccinating 65 and up will relieve hospitals of a lot of burden/pressure. And decrease the death-rate. And optics will start to feel a lot brighter!

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I’ve really reached a juncture. On average, at least 3 people are getting infected with COVID every second. January 2021. I’ve tried to be understanding but at this point, I’m done with selfish people. I can’t understand people making inessential travel.

Unless gatherings, work, and travel are essential or absolutely socially distanced in the true meaning of the guidelines (especially if you have the privilege to make those choices), you’re complicit in the possible long-term health effects of another person’s diagnosis or in their death. True colors are coming out, all in the ridiculous defense that they’re “fatigued” and in my opinion, weak. The utter disregard for the rest of us, especially those without health insurance, is not amongst the American values my parents instilled in me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
According to my county's Health Department, the Moderna vaccine doesn't require restarting the cycle if you are delayed in getting the 2nd shot. They are sending e-mails the morning after the first shot to schedule the 2nd shot and are saying the 2nd shot will be anywhere between 28 and 40 days after the first dose. I don't know if that's also the case for the Pfizer vaccine, though.

So are they saying you don't need a re-do as long as you get the first within 40 days, or that you never need a re-do?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’ve really reached a juncture. On average, at least 3 people are getting infected with COVID every second. January 2021. I’ve tried to be understanding but at this point, I’m done with selfish people. I can’t understand people making inessential travel.

Unless gatherings, work, and travel are essential or absolutely socially distanced in the true meaning of the guidelines (especially if you have the privilege to make those choices), you’re complicit in the possible long-term health effects of another person’s diagnosis or in their death. True colors are coming out, all in the ridiculous defense that they’re “fatigued” and in my opinion, weak. The utter disregard for the rest of us, especially those without health insurance, is not amongst the American values my parents instilled in me.

I don't see "fatigued" as a defense, it's more of an explanation.

SamusAranX

True. At this point I think many’s mental health is wearing down. I know mine is and that’s why I finally stepped out and made a trip. With every precaution known to man. But I also recognize that 96 percent of people don’t have the same circumstances that allow them to truly take every step they should [to protect others who are traveling or they happen to encounter]. And in that case you shouldn’t be risking it.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
True. At this point I think many’s mental health is wearing down. I know mine is and that’s why I finally stepped out and made a trip. With every precaution known to man. But I also recognize that 96 percent of people don’t have the same circumstances that allow them to truly take every step they should [to protect others who are traveling or they happen to encounter]. And in that case you shouldn’t be risking it.
There are people who don’t know they’re at risk. There are people who aren’t “at risk”. What about them? Should they not travel?

Also, do you have insurance and/or the means to deal with possible hospitalization?

DisneyDebRob

It is a explanation and a bad one in my opinion. Everyone had to travel during the holidays and now we are paying a big price. Of course, they had every right, I’m not saying they didn’t. But By doing that you disregard the consequences of their actions and people pay for it. Just saw a report that New Years surge is huge.. couple that with Christmas.. yes we could have avoided a little of it.

Disney Experience

According to my county's Health Department, the Moderna vaccine doesn't require restarting the cycle if you are delayed in getting the 2nd shot. They are sending e-mails the morning after the first shot to schedule the 2nd shot and are saying the 2nd shot will be anywhere between 28 and 40 days after the first dose. I don't know if that's also the case for the Pfizer vaccine, though.

Here is where that recommendation (For both Moderna and Pfizer) is sourced from (With locales such as your county likely using the CDC guidelines)
Persons should not be scheduled to receive the second dose earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, second doses administered within a grace period of 4 days earlier than the recommended date for the second dose are still considered valid. Doses inadvertently administered earlier than the grace period do not need to be repeated. There is no maximum interval between the first and second doses for either vaccine. Therefore, if the second dose is administered >3 weeks after the first Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine dose or >1 month after the first Moderna vaccine dose, there is no need to restart the series.

What they do not say is that there is no data on efficacy if the second shot is done outside the four day grace period. The reported efficacy of ~95% was from the study results where they had subjects come in within the grace period. So anyone getting it outside of that will likely have some level of vaccine efficacy but what level is not yet known. If the second shot is given outside the grace window I think they just want to not give that person a third shot (and live with the unknowns), that "third shot" is better used in someone who has not had their first or second shot (all other factors being the same) when supply is scarce.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

I fully realize it's not the same but what was once called "battle fatigue" (i.e. posttraumatic stress disorder) in very much a real thing. During wars, even those on the home front sometimes suffered from battle fatigue.

Quoting from WebMD:

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), once called shell shock or battle fatigue syndrome, is a serious condition that can develop after a person has experienced or witnessed a traumatic or terrifying event in which there was serious physical harm or threat.​

Considering the millions of cases, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and how these have been covered by the news media, I have no doubt there are many cases of "fatigue" in the United States, where COVID-19 has been at its worst.

The United States suffered over 405,000 deaths during the almost 4 years of World War 2. In 1 year, the United States has suffered 387,000 deaths due to COVID-19, with predictions that the worst days are yet to come. These deaths are not occurring thousands of miles overseas - they are occurring right next door.

Some people can handle the strain better than others. Those who are struggling with the last 12 months have my sympathy.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Operation Warp Speed leaders waited more than two months to approve a plan to distribute and administer Covid-19 vaccines proposed by U.S. health officials, administration officials said, leaving states with little time to implement a mass-vaccination campaign amid a coronavirus surge.

State and local officials had been clamoring for months for help preparing for the largest vaccination program in U.S. history when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a playbook in September to guide them.

The CDC had wanted to start helping states plan in June how to get people vaccinated. But officials at Operation Warp Speed rebuffed the agency’s plan for distributing vaccines. They adopted a similar plan in August only after exploring other options—and then held the release of the CDC’s playbook for states for two weeks for additional clearance and to put it out with another document, the officials said."

“They didn’t plan for the last inch of the last mile, the part that matters most—how you’re going to actually vaccinate that many people quickly,” said Dr. Bruce Gellin, a former Health and Human Services vaccine official and president of global immunization at the Sabin Vaccine Institute.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I fully realize it's not the same but what was once called "battle fatigue" (i.e. posttraumatic stress disorder) in very much a real thing. During wars, even those on the home front sometimes suffered from battle fatigue.

Quoting from WebMD:

Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), once called shell shock or battle fatigue syndrome, is a serious condition that can develop after a person has experienced or witnessed a traumatic or terrifying event in which there was serious physical harm or threat.​

Considering the millions of cases, hundreds of thousands of deaths, and how these have been covered by the news media, I have no doubt there are many cases of "fatigue" in the United States, where COVID-19 has been at its worst.

The United States suffered over 405,000 battle related deaths during the almost 4 years of World War 2. In 1 year, the United States has suffered 387,000 deaths due to COVID-19, with predictions that the worst days are yet to come.

Some people can handle the strain better than others. Those who are struggling with the last 12 months have my sympathy.
I’m not denying legitimate fatigue. But I personally know plenty of people who are fine and dandy and globetrotting. To me, it makes those with true psychological distress all the more tragic.

oceanbreeze77

"Operation Warp Speed leaders waited more than two months to approve a plan to distribute and administer Covid-19 vaccines proposed by U.S. health officials, administration officials said, leaving states with little time to implement a mass-vaccination campaign amid a coronavirus surge.

State and local officials had been clamoring for months for help preparing for the largest vaccination program in U.S. history when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a playbook in September to guide them.

The CDC had wanted to start helping states plan in June how to get people vaccinated. But officials at Operation Warp Speed rebuffed the agency’s plan for distributing vaccines. They adopted a similar plan in August only after exploring other options—and then held the release of the CDC’s playbook for states for two weeks for additional clearance and to put it out with another document, the officials said."

“They didn’t plan for the last inch of the last mile, the part that matters most—how you’re going to actually vaccinate that many people quickly,” said Dr. Bruce Gellin, a former Health and Human Services vaccine official and president of global immunization at the Sabin Vaccine Institute.

this is all absolutely criminal.

oceanbreeze77

What does that even mean anymore? Sorry if I’m a bit higher strung than usual today.
No one can convince me that these actions are not deliberate.

I'm sorry, after todays news cycle regarding vaccines, I have 0 Faith in the current fed government. Yes, it switches in less than a week, but the actions of the current admin have absolutely screwed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom