Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was presented as he died suddenly of covid. That is where the doubt comes in, he may have been positive and ill but for the most part you don't keel over from it in 1 hour. He had a heart condition that I heard, maybe covid aggravated it but he is no longer with us because his heart stopped.
According to the stories I read he had lost his sense of smell and taste and was having difficulty breathing before boarding the flight. He lied about the symptoms to get on the flight. He then had a heart attack on the flight. The difficulty breathing and covid infection most likely contributed to his heart attack but it’s hard to say for sure.

Ag11gani

Has the UK government put out how they came to the 70% greater transmissibility of the mutation? And that it's definitely due to mutation and not behavior or relaxed standards? And what is the nature of the transmissibility? Does it require more distancing to avoid? Lower capacities? Less time in a smaller space?

Without the data, I can't help but wonder if the mutation is being up-played as an excuse to clamp down so Boris Johnson doesn't look as inept for loosening things up. If the mutation has been around awhile (one story I ready this AM said it was also detected in Brazil), it surely has made some rounds.

I'm truly not a conspiracy theory person, but it seems there's a lot of conjecture without much evidence. It seems the story is "This mutation is more contagious! Now, let's research it and see if that's actually true."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Has the UK government put out how they came to the 70% greater transmissibility of the mutation? And that it's definitely due to mutation and not behavior or relaxed standards? And what is the nature of the transmissibility? Does it require more distancing to avoid? Lower capacities? Less time in a smaller space?

Without the data, I can't help but wonder if the mutation is being up-played as an excuse to clamp down so Boris Johnson doesn't look as inept for loosening things up. If the mutation has been around awhile (one story I ready this AM said it was also detected in Brazil), it surely has made some rounds.

I'm truly not a conspiracy theory person, but it seems there's a lot of conjecture without much evidence. It seems the story is "This mutation is more contagious! Now, let's research it and see if that's actually true."

I haven't found the exact details, but basically they have found there is a correlation between areas where there is a high prevalence of this new strain, and areas that are seeing a larger then average increase in cases. So basically, areas that have a lot of the new strain are seeing a more rapid increase in cases then in areas where the strain isn't being seen.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And that’s the main problem.

I am friends with a couple who decided to live their lives by getting to together with family at Thanksgiving. A few days later they found out someone there was infected, and subsequently they both tested positive. They are doing fine, but his father also got it and died from it a few days ago. Hope they really enjoyed those few hours with him since they will now never get to spend any more time with him.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am friends with a couple who decided to live their lives by getting to together with family at Thanksgiving. A few days later they found out someone there was infected, and subsequently they both tested positive. They are doing fine, but his father also got it and died from it a few days ago. Hope they really enjoyed those few hours with him since they will now never get to spend any more time with him.
Just tragic.

carolina_yankee

Here’s some reading of what the BBC knows so far (there’s obviously still more questions than answers)

Though it should be noted the Welsh government is also worried about it. Not just Johnson’s pals.

Thanks. Seems like there is indeed enough smoke to suggest fire and more work is being done to see just what the nature of the fire is. Hope everyone stays safe.

sbunit

I've been traveling all over for work (including the US and UK) and what I've seen does NOT match this thread at all and I have not tested positive once (I've been tested every 3 weeks since June). Too much sensationalism in this thread.
I'm certainly not an over-reactor and I do believe the media can be a bit too much. However, in this case, i think it's very fair to say we should take some real pause and consider the situation thoroughly. I agree everything should be shutdown and borders closed off for a temporary period of time until we have a firmer understanding of the science.

Here is a good article to read

and a key paragraph from the article:

"One reason to be concerned, Rambaut says, is that among the 17 mutations are eight in the gene that encodes the spike protein on the viral surface, two of which are particularly worrisome. One, called N501Y, has previously been shown to increase how tightly the protein binds to the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 receptor, its entry point into human cells. The other, named 69-70del, leads to the loss of two amino acids in the spike protein and has been found in viruses that eluded the immune response in some immunocompromised patients.

A fortunate coincidence helped show that B.1.1.7 (also called VUI-202012/01, for the first “variant under investigation” in December 2020), appears to be spreading faster than other variants in the United Kingdom. One of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests used widely in the country, called TaqPath, normally detects pieces of three genes. But viruses with 69-70del lead to a negative signal for the gene encoding the spike gene; instead only two genes show up. That means PCR tests, which the United Kingdom conducts by the hundreds of thousands daily and which are far quicker and cheaper than sequencing the entire virus, can help keep track of B.1.1.7."

Again, there are still many unknowns and everything will be fine at the end of the day. However, we are too far along and too close to getting this pandemic eliminated (under control?) to start letting our guard down. I personally don't want to take any steps back.

carolina_yankee

WHO briefing right now answered a question on the transmissibility - noting it moved the R0 from 1.1 to 1.5. They were clear that the good news is that is a very manageable number to get under control. This isn't a wildly out of control thing, so much as something that requires a doubling down. More information coming in daily as more research is being done.

No information has changed on how it spreads (still spreads between people in close contact).

For all of our chaos with politics and hospital capacity here, Britain definitely doesn't need this. Hope it all gets better soon!

TrainsOfDisney

If only there had been some sort of warning...

Chip Chipperson

Whilst to early to be sure, consensus is vaccines should still be effective. But we’re still six months away from enough being inoculated. Figures are putting this strain around 70% more transmittable, but it’s only been 48 hours since we (the public) became aware of it.

Europe is virtually collapsing as I type this. The UK too. God help the US if the new strain gets to you.

Well, the good news over here is that there are "only" 6 London-to-JFK flights per day. We wouldn't want to do anything responsible like shutting down international travel again.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, the good news over here is that there are "only" 6 London-to-JFK flights per day. We wouldn't want to do anything responsible like shutting down international travel again.
It’s still shut to the normal traveller.

The bad news is the new strain is being identified in other European countries already.

Chip Chipperson

I can't believe how irresponsible people can be. I feel bad for the family losing a loved one, but what part of, "I feel sick and need a COVID-19 test," made them think the answer was to get on a plane and fly home to get tested?

Polkadotdress

It’s $2,400 for a family of 4. Hundreds of billions into the economy definitely helps. Not everyone will use the money to pay their rent, although some may. Some people may buy something retail or get work done on their house or book a trip for this summer. It’s not a lot to an individual, but the cumulative impact helps.
It's $600 for those making $75 or less, or $1200 for a couple making $120K or less. I'm wondering whether those are "projected income " or actual income (for those who are still experiencing job loss/furlough) figures? And my 2 teen kids are too old to qualify for the additional +$600 each. UGH.

DisneyDebRob

It's $600 for those making $75 or less, or $1200 for a couple making $120K or less. I'm wondering whether those are "projected income " or actual income (for those who are still experiencing job loss/furlough) figures? And my 2 teen kids are too old to qualify for the additional +$600 each. UGH.
It’s based on salary from 2019 so if you were unemployed this year that won’t have any bearing on it.

Jrb1979

I can't believe how irresponsible people can be. I feel bad for the family losing a loved one, but what part of, "I feel sick and need a COVID-19 test," made them think the answer was to get on a plane and fly home to get tested?
Since this started my faith in humanity has dropped a lot. Seeing things like that just angers me. That is also why they keep saying to avoid any non essential travel.

TrainsOfDisney

That's even worse, as 2019 was a "banner year" for work comparatively. Meanwhile this year, the husband has been furloughed and "odd jobbing" for quite some time.
That’s what I’m curious about, so many people may technically be employed but aren’t working their normal jobs for normal pay. I guess they still get the $600 but that seems like such a small amount at this point in the game.

Polkadotdress

That’s what I’m curious about, so many people may technically be employed but aren’t working their normal jobs for normal pay. I guess they still get the $600 but that seems like such a small amount at this point in the game.
Someone up thread asked “What more could our government have done?” This is a great example of what they didn’t do in a timely manner.

John park hopper

They believe it much like they believe the Spanish Flu started there which years, and I mean many years later they found differently. You are missing my point though. Calling it this does add a very thin veil like it's someone's fault or a country's or a race. Blaming a country is really beyond uncool. Look at the US president calling it the China Flu. So terribly racist or insensitive at best. All that does is allow for people to be singled out. They named it after the strain not the location for a reason and yet muppets go around saying stuff to undermine actions.

The last statement should be the focus. Let's be honest. It's been around for a few months. It was discussed back in sept or Oct during trials too. This isn't new info. If a scientist says something I trust it until they have proof otherwise. I'm honestly a bit shocked that this is so new news to reporters or did they miss something or need new things to be crazy about since vaccines are not giving enough sensational stories.
Someones fault--- yes it is the ---Chinese governments fault and being factual does not make it racists or insensitive. Calling people muppets-- how insensitive -- hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom