Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney Cruise Line Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Alert
November 23, 2020

Disney Cruise Line Extends Suspension of All Departures Through January 31, 2021

Our team at Disney Cruise Line remains focused on the health and well-being of our Guests and team members. We continue to carefully review the guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and are working toward resuming operations.

As we continue to refine our protocols for our eventual return to service, we have decided to cancel all sailings departing through January 2021. Sailings are cancelled on board the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder and Disney Dream through February 1 and the Disney Fantasy through February 6.

Guests booked on affected sailings who have paid their reservation in full will be offered the choice of a cruise credit to be used for a future sailing or a full refund. Guests who have not paid their reservations in full will automatically receive a refund of what they have paid so far. Affected Guests and travel agents will receive an email from Disney Cruise Line outlining details and next steps.

Guests who booked their reservation through a travel agent should contact them directly with any questions. Those who booked directly with Disney Cruise Line and have questions after receiving their email should call (866) 325-6685 or (407) 566-7797."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We get it. You want this pandemic to end (like we all do) but you want others to bear the cost and inconvenience. Unfortunately, we're all in this together and we all need to do our part.

Exactly...there are still the holdouts that are more interested in trying to prove their early 2020 predictions “right” (it wont happen because those predictions were wrong)...than actually doing what is right.

I enjoy hearing multiple points of view and how people look at various situations. The vaccine news is great across the board. Something we can all agree on for once. It’s realistic to now say we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope people can hold out a little longer and we don’t have too many people looking at this like a green light to do whatever they want. We’re at least still 6 months away from the majority of people having access to the vaccine.

I’m tired of the “i can decide for myself” and “ma freedom” nonsense tangents at this point.

Those things have been given more than enough rope to “hang themselves” at this point.

Trust the qualified...shut up and do what you’re told and end this.

I’m going more “Hobbes” than “Locke” from now on if you want to debate non-applicable governance theories.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm a little surprised (although I probably shouldn't be) that the coming vaccines aren't making people more willing to stay home. Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm making plans for summer to make up for this past year. We'll do Thanksgiving/Christmas with family in July. Maybe birthdays too: Why not be goofy about it after this horrible experience? We'll have a big vacation and open a bottle of champagne. In the meantime, it's Zoom and online gaming with friends and family. I don't really get it if people rush to travel now, when things could be at least a little better in just a few months (for instance, if grandparents could be vaccinated).

On the other hand, it's been a completely insane year and maybe people just don't have capacity for sacrifice and waiting anymore. I just wish they'd dig a little deeper and dream some dreams for post-vaccines.
I said earlier I am planning on doing just that. We have Christmas every year at my house and we are planning a “Christmas in July“ this year and might even setup a tree and put up some decorations. For New Years I have a regular group of families over my house. We already talked about a zoom gathering on 12/31 but doing a real NYE party this summer once we all get the vaccine. Have a big party and include a countdown to midnight and all the works. If PI could do a countdown to new years every night in its prime we can certainly do it some random Saturday this summer. Hang in there everyone. We’re almost there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Disney Cruise Line Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Alert
November 23, 2020

Disney Cruise Line Extends Suspension of All Departures Through January 31, 2021

Our team at Disney Cruise Line remains focused on the health and well-being of our Guests and team members. We continue to carefully review the guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and are working toward resuming operations.

As we continue to refine our protocols for our eventual return to service, we have decided to cancel all sailings departing through January 2021. Sailings are cancelled on board the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder and Disney Dream through February 1 and the Disney Fantasy through February 6.

Guests booked on affected sailings who have paid their reservation in full will be offered the choice of a cruise credit to be used for a future sailing or a full refund. Guests who have not paid their reservations in full will automatically receive a refund of what they have paid so far. Affected Guests and travel agents will receive an email from Disney Cruise Line outlining details and next steps.

Guests who booked their reservation through a travel agent should contact them directly with any questions. Those who booked directly with Disney Cruise Line and have questions after receiving their email should call (866) 325-6685 or (407) 566-7797."

May 1 is my guess...maybe 4/1 or 3/1 If things go spectacularly well?

Disstevefan1

Exactly...there are still the holdouts that are more interested in trying to prove their early 2020 predictions “right” (it wont happen because those predictions were wrong)...than actually doing what is right.

I’m tired of the “i can decide for myself” and “ma freedom” nonsense tangents at this point.

Those things have been given more than enough rope to “hang themselves” at this point.

Trust the qualified...shut up and do what you’re told and end this.

I’m going more “Hobbes” than “Locke” from now on if you want to debate non-applicable governance theories.
In my opinion, the best way to get someone to not do something is to say, “shut up and do what you are told”....

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In my opinion, the best way to get someone to not do something is to say, “shut up and do what you are told”....

Well that is a thing...but what happens when people won’t budge and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again?

Gonna have to “throw out the book here”

As many others have pointed out...we can actually “round the corner”...and stubbornness now will lead to extra unnecessary hardship and loss...including financial.

jmp85

I'm a little surprised (although I probably shouldn't be) that the coming vaccines aren't making people more willing to stay home. Now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm making plans for summer to make up for this past year. We'll do Thanksgiving/Christmas with family in July. Maybe birthdays too: Why not be goofy about it after this horrible experience? We'll have a big vacation and open a bottle of champagne. In the meantime, it's Zoom and online gaming with friends and family. I don't really get it if people rush to travel now, when things could be at least a little better in just a few months (for instance, if grandparents could be vaccinated).

On the other hand, it's been a completely insane year and maybe people just don't have capacity for sacrifice and waiting anymore. I just wish they'd dig a little deeper and dream some dreams for post-vaccines.
For the people that don't care, the vaccine changes nothing. They don't view the virus as a big deal and nothing is going to change that. We're getting together with a very small amount of family members for Thanksgiving (who are all hermits like us), but not visiting with anyone on my wife's side of the family because most of them are on the "it's not real" train. It's unfortunate, but these are the same people who host Halloween parties and invite 100 of their closest friends.

hopemax

I think the surge and the vaccine news happened too close to Thanksgiving for people to be willing to change gears and cancel. Like at the beginning it was so hard for people to voluntarily cancel WDW and would move their dates from April to May to June. It took higher powers to take the decision away. But while WDW can close, people’s homes can’t. People committed to doing Thanksgiving and they felt they “earned” it. It’s hard to let things go right at the end.

Airlines are saying their new bookings have stalled and cancellations are rising. So I’m interested to see if people did pull back somewhat on Christmas and will be more willing in 2021, to hunker down for another six months once past the holidays.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For the people that don't care, the vaccine changes nothing. They don't view the virus as a big deal and nothing is going to change that. We're getting together with a very small amount of family members for Thanksgiving (who are all hermits like us), but not visiting with anyone on my wife's side of the family because most of them are on the "it's not real" train. It's unfortunate, but these are the same people who host Halloween parties and invite 100 of their closest friends.
People who don't care should start caring about the vaccine. Because once the vaccine comes, then the people lookin' to take away their freedums are gonna have to come up with some other hoax!!!

Capsin4

Nice to put "human" in quotes. Why don't you just call me a POS and get yourself banned?

I'm not the only one still talking about "vulnerable people" since they are the ones most seriously effected by this virus. The most intelligent thing to do is to try and protect them as much as possible without severely disrupting the lives of the whole population. Maybe you don't care if you have to drastically change the way you live for months on end because somehow THIS particular virus became the one that required that spread be stemmed at all cost, but I do.

To date, in Florida, 82% of the deaths are in people 65 years old and older while that group represents 14% of documented cases and 39.6% were nursing home residents. It doesn't take a genius like you to figure out that a particular segment of the population is far more vulnerable to this virus than the rest.

Not everybody thinks like you and believes that all measures must be taken to stop the spread, no matter the cost or inconvenience and not all people who disagree with you are subhuman morons with a 50 IQ.
100%. Isolating the vulnerable population Is common sense. There’s a lot we don’t know still but more than enough that we can protect the high risk populations without shutting everyone in for months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

interesting study. Very few asymptomatic cases and they weren’t “live” virus cultures. I.E. even though they were positive with no symptoms, it wasn’t viable and couldn’t be spread.

After this is over, it will be interesting to see the level of asymptomatic spread. I don’t think it’s as high as some assume
I don’t know one way or the other, but if asymptomatic spread isn’t all that common are we to then assume that many, many people with symptoms are just going to work or to family parties or to social gatherings or schools or wherever the spread is occuring? I hate to believe that is the case. If asymptomatic spread is rare that means people who know they are sick are literally knowingly infecting other people. That’s hard to believe for me.

Polkadotdress

100%. Isolating the vulnerable population Is common sense. There’s a lot we don’t know still but more than enough that we can protect the high risk populations without shutting everyone in for months.
Exactly how?

Do all of the high-risk get moved into (1) central living facility? Otherwise, if a high-risk person lives with any other person in their household, by default they would also need to be isolated to protect them.

Right?

Unless you have some sort of other genius idea...?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Exactly how?

Do all of the high-risk get moved into (1) central living facility? Otherwise, if a high-risk person lives with any other person in their household, by default they would also need to be isolated to protect them.

Right?

Unless you have some sort of other genius idea...?
Maybe we should just lock them all away in the unused All Star Resorts. 4 to a room that should cover it...oh wait, the elderly and high risk population that should just be locked away indefinitely makes up over have the population or 150M+ people. We‘re gonna need a bigger resort ;););)

Kevin_W

interesting study. Very few asymptomatic cases and they weren’t “live” virus cultures. I.E. even though they were positive with no symptoms, it wasn’t viable and couldn’t be spread.

After this is over, it will be interesting to see the level of asymptomatic spread. I don’t think it’s as high as some assume
That a lot of data to read, but thanks. From a quick scan, I'm mostly impressed that they tested nearly 10 million people in a 2-week period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom