Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

I'm confused, do you have an employment contract with Disney that mandates a regular schedule regardless of business conditions? Did you bargain or negotiate that based on your talents/demand in the marketplace?

Or is it your position, that regardless of business conditions (like, oh say, a pandemic that shuts down the entire resort for months) they should keep paying you and maintaining the same hours/schedule forever?

Honestly trying to understand your position.
Some not all get used to a way of life, set schedules, same overtime income or second jobs. When one or all are impacted then some need to go into a different mode/mindset and it's not always easy to do. I had my reality lesson a long time ago.

Jwink

I'm confused, do you have an employment contract with Disney that mandates a regular schedule regardless of business conditions? Did you bargain or negotiate that based on your talents/demand in the marketplace?

Or is it your position, that regardless of business conditions (like, oh say, a pandemic that shuts down the entire resort for months) they should keep paying you and maintaining the same hours/schedule forever?

Honestly trying to understand your position.

And in regards to executives' bonuses - they are paid bonuses to execute their jobs/strategies. One of those strategies in a business downturn is to find ways to reduce variable expenses to offset the loss in revenue. They are paid bonuses based on their ability to execute that strategy - so said more bluntly, the executives are paid their bonus because they eliminated the jobs as needed, not in spite of it.

So when someone says "I lost my job, but the executives got paid a bonus" the only response is "exactly".
I think you missed the part where I’ve chosen not to engage you about this any more. It’s not your job to understand my position. And it’s not my job to provide you my ‘why’.

Jwink

Some not all get used to a way of life, set schedules, same overtime income or second jobs. When one or all are impacted then some need to go into a different mode/mindset and it's not always easy to do. I had my reality lesson a long time ago.
I would agree with this. We don’t live above our means. We don’t vacation. We don’t but crazy cars. But we have been digging ourselves out of debt due to medical bills. That’s why we work 5 jobs total between the two of us. We built a schedule around my son’s multiple appointments and sessions for his special needs, my job (which takes place early mornings) etc. So yes, we’ve gotten used to the schedule. There aren’t many second jobs that are so flexible that they work around another job schedule. It’s a hard adjustment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Not sure if this has been posted yet but this polling should have Disney very stressed.

78% of people believe it is too soon to return to ANY theme park.

Only 47% would consider taking a theme park trip next summer in 2021.
I hadn’t seen that poll specifically, but I’ve seen some other stuff that lines up with that. It also lines up pretty much with what a lot of analysts have been saying about travel in general, and specifically WDW. It’s going to be 2022 or later before we see a full return to pre-Covid travel levels.

With all of that said, the poll was conducted while FL is in the middle of a major spike in cases. I think if you wait until the current spike flattens some people may change their tune about next summer. It’s hard to imagine next summer being OK while things are so bad on the ground currently, but I think people will be more open to it especially if there are advances in treatments and/or a working vaccine before then. There will still be economic fallout from the pandemic but the public health concerns may be significantly reduced (Hopefully).

JoeCamel

Not sure if this has been posted yet but this polling should have Disney very stressed.

78% of people believe it is too soon to return to ANY theme park.

Only 47% would consider taking a theme park trip next summer in 2021.
So if ~20% would go then that is what 40M people? If half of those go then it could be a good year.
Yes, I know it won't happen and it will be a long time til the parks are profitable again...

hopemax

At the risk of reigniting The Great Mask Debate, Duke University has published a study regarding what types of masks work best. They had a speaker wear mask, talk into a box and with the use of a laser record the escaping droplets by camera.

Best - N95 (duh)
2nd Best- 3-layer surgical
All decent - various cotton masks. The poly/cotton mask did the best of the group. These are what Disney has been making.
Worst- Bandanas
Worse than Useless - Gaiters. They actually break up the larger drops into smaller droplets making it worse than wearing no mask at all.

brianstl

The $1.5B she was referring to was the expected semi-annual dividend that would have been paid in July. Disney suspended the dividend payment to preserve cash on hand so it never happened. The annual bonuses for execs get paid after the fiscal year ends on 9/30. Some execs gave up some or all of their pay and may do the same for cash bonuses as well. The bigger piece of bonuses for the highest level execs comes from equity ownership so if the stock does OK they will still potentially make a good deal of money even if they agree not to take cash pay or bonuses.
Abigail Disney often gets much of the facts wrong when she goes on her diatribes.

JoeCamel

At the risk of reigniting The Great Mask Debate, Duke University has published a study regarding what types of masks work best. They had a speaker wear mask, talk into a box and with the use of a laser record the escaping droplets by camera.

Best - N95 (duh)
2nd Best- 3-layer surgical
All decent - various cotton masks. The poly/cotton mask did the best of the group. These are what Disney has been making.
Worst- Bandanas
Worse than Useless - Gaiters. They actually break up the larger drops into smaller droplets making it worse than wearing no mask at all.

They should do a gater with a 3 layer under it. Ultimate protection for those around you. Gater holds it tight to your face.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A follow up to the follow up on the viral photo from the GA school. 9 people have tested positive (6 students and 3 staff)

brianstl

Universal paid at 80%. So you would have taken a pay cut right from the start.
Universal, also, has already started laying off team members. Disney has so far held off on that action allowing currently furloughed employees to keep their health insurance.

I understand the poster being upset, but the anger is misplaced in my opinion. Also, the poster is in much better situation than many other people in the country who have lost their jobs over the last few months.

ImperfectPixie

JoeCamel

You aren’t going to change their minds so no point in trying. I do feel bad for the workers that have to deal with it and obviously the little kid that got spit on. Otherwise it’s just all in good humor poking fun at them :cool:
No good humor here, they are directly responsible for my discomfort allowing the crud to spread. Lets wear the darn mask and get this in control so we can all go back to living!

JoeCamel

Here in MA...$300 fine per violation. I think a few of those might convince them to wear a mask. ;)
But the poor person in charge has to get the police there and face all the grief. Less force and more social coercion to get compliance. Some just like to seize on an obscure point and run it into the dirt, be easier just to put one on when you are inside or can't distance.

OK, enough with masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom