Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

If that does happen and people stay away Disney is in a lot of trouble. They are delaying resort openings which means demand is already not there. Its the same at all parks right now. Even regional parks have no demand.

Just my opinion, there will be plenty of folks who will still travel to WDW, it is truly safe at WDW and with the park reservation system continuing, word is getting out that this is an opportunity to experience the parks when they are not MOBBED.

Here is what we have now at WDW.
Low crowds
Low wait times for attractions
The ability to ride attractions multiple times a day

The character cavalcades ARE BETTER than parades in my opinion!!! The parades are time killing and stressful and you almost never get a good spot unless you campout an hour and a half before hand only to have someone try to stand in front of you!!

Yes we lost fireworks, but again, time killing and stressful and you almost never get a good spot unless you campout an hour and a half before hand and someone taller ALWAYS stands in front of me!!

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just my opinion, there will be plenty of folks who will still travel to WDW, it is truly safe at WDW and with the park reservation system continuing, word is getting out that this is an opportunity to experience the parks when they are not MOBBED.

Low crowds

The character cavalcades ARE BETTER than parades in my opinion!!! The parades are time killing and stressful and you almost never get a good spot unless you campout an hour and a half before hand only to have someone try to stand in front of you!!

Yes we lost fireworks, but again, time killing and stressful and you almost never get a good spot unless you campout an hour and a half before hand and someone ALWAYS taller stands in front of me!!
None of that changes the fact that anyone from a large number of states with school age kids cannot visit FL during the school year without burning 3 weeks of school. No matter how safe WDW is that doesn’t change. It’s not a knock on Disney. I’m sure part of the reason we are seeing the lack in demand is directly related to that. That’s also why hotel openings are either delayed or cancelled. Once southern schools go back mid-August demand will drop even further. It’s entirely possible they could go to a plan of closing some parks some days mid-week to stay open. Anything is possible.

Jrb1979

Low crowds

Yes we lost fireworks, but again, time killing and stressful and you almost never get a good spot unless you campout an hour and a half before hand and someone ALWAYS taller stands in front of me!!
While that maybe true there is a reason they are delaying opening other resorts. They can't fill the ones they have now. If anything it will the hardcore Disney fans that will be going. Most GP that aren't on there boards most likely have no idea what it's like.

Bob Harlem

DisneyDebRob

While that maybe true there is a reason they are delaying opening other resorts. They can't fill the ones they have now. If anything it will the hardcore Disney fans that will be going. Most GP that aren't on there boards most likely have no idea what it's like.
They don’t want people there yet. Rooms at OKW and SS are 700 and something dollars a night. For a studio. Other resorts are all higher. No promotions or anything to get you to come. I’m guessing if some are willing to pay extremely high prices, they will let you in. If not, stay home, they seem to be fine with that.

disneygeek90

the week feels a lot like March already. The news is already rough this morning and If the MLB cancels the season, I would expect more big time things to wind down as well, disney included.
The key for MLB is what they're doing now. Cancelling games that had teams in close contact of the infected teams. IMO the Phillies and Marlins should not play again until they receive a new round of tests. It's the only way to move forward and prevent more teams getting wiped out.

I don't know what this means for a 60 game season that's already tight on schedule, I suppose extra doubleheaders.

oceanbreeze77

The key for MLB is what they're doing now. Cancelling games that had teams in close contact of the infected teams. IMO the Phillies and Marlins should not play again until they receive a new round of tests. It's the only way to move forward and prevent more teams getting wiped out.

I don't know what this means for a 60 game season that's already tight on schedule, I suppose extra doubleheaders.
Theres no way that the season can carry on. I knew it would be a VERY short season, like maybe a month, but it looks like it'll be less. There are too many logistics involved, which is exactly why the NBA created the bubble. Even if the MLB wanted to carry on, a ton of players who were on the fence before (Some big name) will probably now be way more inclined to opt out.

Disstevefan1

None of that changes the fact that anyone from a large number of states with school age kids cannot visit FL during the school year without burning 3 weeks of school. No matter how safe WDW is that doesn’t change. It’s not a knock on Disney. I’m sure part of the reason we are seeing the lack in demand is directly related to that. That’s also why hotel openings are either delayed or cancelled. Once southern schools go back mid-August demand will drop even further. It’s entirely possible they could go to a plan of closing some parks some days mid-week to stay open. Anything is possible.

Agreed, school could be an issue for some, but many schools are allowing part of full time schooling at home, this may work to their advantage, kids return from vacation and simply school at home.

I think time will tell, but it really does look like a good time to visit all things considered.

As you say, anything is possible. The idea of closing some parks some days is a good idea as long as they continue to limit capacity on the days they are open.

disneygeek90

Theres no way that the season can carry on. I knew it would be a VERY short season, like maybe a month, but it looks like it'll be less. There are too many logistics involved, which is exactly why the NBA created the bubble. Even if the MLB wanted to carry on, a ton of players who were on the fence before (Some big name) will probably now be way more inclined to opt out.
There's only a chance that two teams have a widespread infection right now. There's nothing that indicates other team besides the Marlins have a cluster. I don't think you call off the season for one team just yet. All of the players that are playing understood the risk going in to themselves, and their family.

Dizneykid

Beautiful day at Magic Kingdom! It's the least stressful few hours I've had in the park in years. Everyone was ahearing to social distancing in the lines and walkways. Disney has efficiently created safe ways to enter and exit shops, and it's just an overall happier vibe than it's ever been. I also loved the random character parades as an alternative to meet and greets. Hope something similar continues after this ends.

The mask wearing in the heat isn't nearly as bad as people claim if you pace yourself and stay hydrated. The only thing I'd say is inconvenient is the new bus boarding, so we drove the last few days.

I highly recommend anyone who is iffy about going back to WDW just pack the car and go to Orlando asap!! Experiencing the parks in a low crowd environment like this is a must! Sad to leave so early hut we've got a long 10 hour drive ahead ;)

Is parking at MK a better idea than bus?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It’s going to be tough to get the whole season in. They can’t extend the end of the season because it’s too cold to play the World Series in November in large parts of the country. It’s a hard stop at the end of Sept. They could end up with 45 or even 30 games total if this continues. Still better than nothing.

oceanbreeze77

It’s going to be tough to get the whole season in. They can’t extend the end of the season because it’s too cold to play the World Series in November in large parts of the country. It’s a hard stop at the end of Sept. They could end up with 45 or even 30 games total if this continues. Still better than nothing.
theres just too much involved to keep it going. originally they were fighting about how many games, when they should have been fighting over how to protect the teams.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed, school could be an issue for some, but many schools are allowing part of full time schooling at home, this may work to their advantage, kids return from vacation and simply school at home.

I think time will tell, but it really does look like a good time to visit all things considered.

As you say, anything is possible. The idea of closing some parks some days is a good idea as long as they continue to limit capacity on the days they are open.
Even with virtual schooling as an option I think most people from around me have ruled out travel to hot spots for the foreseeable future. Just anecdotal but I know a bunch of people who cancelled trips to FL now and several more who are not going to Myrtle Beach or Outer Banks now. DVC is very popular around me and I know a few owners who are struggling with what to do with their points. Some that delayed until the fall are thinking about pushing now to winter or just cancelling. It’s hard to know if/when the cases will decline.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
theres just too much involved to keep it going. originally they were fighting about how many games, when they should have been fighting over how to protect the teams.
The problem is now the Marlins need to bring up a dozen players to replace the guys on quarantine but that takes time to coordinate and they don’t know if anyone else is infected. They May need to miss a week of the season now and that’s hard to make up. That’s why I’m thinking they cut the season off on Sept 1 or Sept 15 and then just try for makeup games for 2 to 4 weeks depending on how many other teams have the same problem. You have to have all teams play the same number of games unless you do a 30 team tournament for the playoffs and everyone gets in. It’s going to be a wild ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom