Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaiseTheShields

It is and will be. That is what we are being told. Ironically, in the upper grades, it will be up to the kids to sanitize the classrooms.

Governor Abbott (Texas) said that if there is ONE case confirmed in a school, the school must shut down for 5 days minimum to sanitize (this would not be done by staff of course). But, unfortunately, districts have not paid attention and have strategically ignored his statement about that.

Hold up....this is not the time for a home-ec lesson.

Jedijax719

I think it depends on where you are and the situation on the ground. In some places physical school opening should be no problem as long as plans are followed with masks and distancing. Similar to theme parks:) I think each district should have a metric they follow and if the community spread gets to the limit set they switch to virtual. The problem is some districts have gone all in with physical school and have no backup plan.
And once again, going full virtual now is much different than doing it in the spring. During the spring, pretty much everyone was working at home for a while. Now, most are back at work. So keeping kids home but keeping adults at work is a really difficult (to say the least) situation for most.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And once again, going full virtual now is much different than doing it in the spring. During the spring, pretty much everyone was working at home for a while. Now, most are back at work. So keeping kids home but keeping adults at work is a really difficult (to say the least) situation for most.
It is difficult for sure. But what happens when kids get sick and have to quarantine, or another kid in their class gets sick and they close for cleaning? It’s the same problem. I don’t see any way kids just go back to school and it’s back to pre-Covid normal. It’s inevitable that there are going to be times that kids need to be home and virtually schooled even if they open physically. We need to plan for that no matter how difficult it is. Nothing about this is easy.

Jedijax719

It is difficult for sure. But what happens when kids get sick and have to quarantine, or another kid in their class gets sick and they close for cleaning? It’s the same problem. I don’t see any way kids just go back to school and it’s back to pre-Covid normal. It’s inevitable that there are going to be times that kids need to be home and virtually schooled even if they open physically. We need to plan for that no matter how difficult it is. Nothing about this is easy.
Open, closed, back and forth, up and down, round and round. That's what this school year is all about.

Bartattack

So here in our country (Belgium) we have the first signs of a second wave... (actually in more European countries). They are trying to quickly respond and certain restrictions are being re-implemented. Masks are now mandatory. on the streets, in every public place, all shops, public transport etc... you can only take them off when sitting down in restaurants. Most people do not make a problem of wearing a mask. In busy streets in the city, almost 99% of the people are wearing it. And people who don't are confronted (you can get a 250 euros penalty). Our social bubbles are being restricted again from 15 to 10 people. Local lockdowns are being considered. Our numbers of cases were below 100 (7 day average)... but are now back at 352 today.
Hospitalizations are going up slowly at this point. What is concerning is that a larger number of people who are infected, are acting as super-spreaders. They have more virus particles in their nose and throat, research shows. Most of the local outbreaks are in certain social groups and people who have private party's.
(to put in perspective: bars and restaurants opened on june 15th. Themeparks, movie theatres etc... on july 1st)

Kevin_W

Hold up....this is not the time for a home-ec lesson.

Why not? Maybe if we all learn better cleaning and hygiene it will help prevent future outbreaks.

My daughter is a gymnast and they at times have the kids help clean the mats. At my work, we sanitize our own desks/labs/workstations. The extra sanitization at my wife's PT clinic is being done by the therapists.

We're all in this together, so everyong doing a bit more seems reasonable to me.

Kevin_W

So here in our country (Belgium) we have the first signs of a second wave... (actually in more European countries). They are trying to quickly respond and certain restrictions are being re-implemented. Masks are now mandatory. on the streets, in every public place, all shops, public transport etc... you can only take them off when sitting down in restaurants. Most people do not make a problem of wearing a mask. In busy streets in the city, almost 99% of the people are wearing it. And people who don't are confronted (you can get a 250 euros penalty). Our social bubbles are being restricted again from 15 to 10 people. Local lockdowns are being considered. Our numbers of cases were below 100 (7 day average)... but are now back at 352 today.
Hospitalizations are going up slowly at this point. What is concerning is that a larger number of people who are infected, are acting as super-spreaders. They have more virus particles in their nose and throat, research shows. Most of the local outbreaks are in certain social groups and people who have private party's.
(to put in perspective: bars and restaurants opened on june 15th. Themeparks, movie theatres etc... on july 1st)

It looks like France/Germany/Netherlands/Spain are also seeing that slight uptick. Let's hope it remains slight.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1595772828356.png

1595772858230.png

Jwink

Actually it does work. You know what doesn’t work? Lockdowns.
If lock downs don’t work then why did the countries who shut down earlier and stayed shut longer... get ahead of the virus and are consistently trending down in positivity and new cases? Lockdown didn’t work here because our leaders chose to let each individual state do their own thing. This allowed for some states to take extreme (at the time) measures while others (Florida) dragged their feet. Florida WAS doing well until we weren’t. Why aren’t we? Because we closed late and opened early. Instead of waiting 2 weeks between phases we waited 7-10 days... which we all know is NOT a long enough time to see which direction the trend is heading.

We have to lock down and start over... do it the right way. There is a lot of blood on people’s hands right now...

RaiseTheShields

Why not? Maybe if we all learn better cleaning and hygiene it will help prevent future outbreaks.

My daughter is a gymnast and they at times have the kids help clean the mats. At my work, we sanitize our own desks/labs/workstations. The extra sanitization at my wife's PT clinic is being done by the therapists.

We're all in this together, so everyong doing a bit more seems reasonable to me.
You make good points. I’m an independent contractor and disinfecting wipes are now a part of my tool kit. I clean the surfaces I’m using before I set up and after I pack up. Of course that’s typically a chair and a place to put my laptop. Not an entire classroom.

You’re right, we’re all in this together. I just wouldn’t expect students and teachers to be solely responsible for safety measures such as deep cleaning and sanitizing.

Patcheslee

I don't think it will be on the teachers to sanitize the classrooms in our district and hopefully not in most districts, but it sounds like there are at least a few districts requiring that.

And thank you. :)
High school students here will be required to sanitize their assigned desk before class and at the end of class, expected to do the same at lunch. They rotate 5 classes a day, wipes will be in classroom, no word if district or teacher would have to supply. Kinda odd to me, but guess if we expect them to have a college plan figured out by 9th grade, and clean their bedrooms without being told, cleaning a desk shouldn't be too hard right... :rolleyes:;)

Jwink

Sounds like good leadership to me! See a problem- fix it. Don’t ignore it and LIE to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom