Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper Gutman

I seriously dont get what's taking so long to manufacture them
This probably baffles me more then any other aspect of the crisis. There is a lot of profit to be had, but companies seem profoundly unwilling to try and scoop it up. N95 masks are a key example - they would sell like hot cakes.

I think it stems from a collective refusal to acknowledge how long and deep the crisis will actually be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's the scoop on the official HKDL Twitter account...

1594649748252.png

</sad trombone>

lisa12000

Imagine taking measures to control the virus after an outbreak of 30

I would suggest that this has as much to do with stopping mass gatherings in a political sense as stopping an outbreak, I would even suggest that a small outbreak may be ‘good’ for Carrie lam to exert some control over things.. Hong Kong is not a good test case for whether things would be closed down again anywhere else

oceanbreeze77

This probably baffles me more then any other aspect of the crisis. There is a lot of profit to be had, but companies seem profoundly unwilling to try and scoop it up. N95 masks are a key example - they would sell like hot cakes.

I think it stems from a collective refusal to acknowledge how long and deep the crisis will actually be.
And they're masks, not ventilators were asking them to mass produce.

mickeymiss

Is there a reason why N95 masks can't be mass produced and sold to the public? My husband works in an operating room as a sales rep for surgical devices. They sent him a bunch of N95 masks just to have in addition to ones provided by the hospital.

Bartattack

Well, it seems to be correct.

"From early on Wednesday, 12 types of premise, including karaoke, nightclubs, fitness centers and mahjong parlors, will be shut down, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Monday. Ocean Park and Hong Kong Disneyland will be closed again."

Casper Gutman

And they're masks, not ventilators were asking them to mass produce.
At the start of all this, I thought we’d see something like WWII, where major businesses and entrepeneurs alike innovated wildly to meet the new circumstances and the nature of a big portion of the economy changed forever.

As an example, WWII solidified the place of comics and film in world pop culture as thier respective industries took advantage of the crisis. I thought we’d see something similar happen with streaming and a resurgence of drive-ins. We really haven’t.

This is the one thing America is always supposed to be able to do! Make money! Instead, everyone just seems to be sitting around, believing a return to normalcy is so imminent that innovation and adaptation are wasted efforts.

Kevin_W

At the start of all this, I thought we’d see something like WWII, where major businesses and entrepeneurs alike innovated wildly to meet the new circumstances and the nature of a big portion of the economy changed forever.

We have, in many way. Heck, my company launched a "hygenics" business selling hand sanitizer.

N95 masks are harder to produce and not anyone can just jump into the field like they have with cloth masks (which every company with a sewing machine has been making). I believe 3M has roughly tripled their output since the beginning of the year and are workign to further double it by year's end.

Kevin_W

Well. At least testing is above 100k again. Keep that trend.

Yeah, at least % positive being a bit lower for 4 straight days is some sign that testing is keeping up. Good job to all the lab techs working 60-80 hour weeks.

It is crazy that if you take out Brazil, Florida has more confirmed cases than the rest of South and Central America combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom