Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Chipperson

It isn't doable for many many kids. That is the reality. It just is.

Then the states' Departments of Education need to find a solution that works. Mandating that people be placed in a situation that increases their risk of catching this virus isn't the best possible solution. If we accept that the people in charge of education policies and standards aren't capable of finding a solution then we're accepting mediocrity from them and the kids who aren't able to learn from home will get a mediocre education from them regardless of whether they're at home or in school.

A couple of solutions better than "every school district must open and have children in the classroom" right now:

1. Identify those students without access to a computer/tablet for distance learning and provide one. Many districts already own or lease tablets or Chromebooks for their students so it's not an unreasonable expense. If a school district doesn't have the resources to pay for it (such as one located in a poverty-stricken area), the state should do it for them. Many internet providers have been providing free internet service for students whose families can't afford it during the pandemic and I imagine they'll do the same thing again when school starts up again.

2. If that's still not a viable option, have school staff deliver physical worksheets, textbooks, etc. to those students without access to a computer/tablet or internet. This could be done in a way that allows for social distancing (such as leaving it by the door, ringing the bell, and stepping away from the door to allow for 6 feet or more between them and whoever answers the door - pizza chains can figure it out so it shouldn't be difficult to schools to figure out, too). I know of a special needs school that is doing exactly this sort of delivery and it worked out just fine.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A couple of solutions better than "every school district must open and have children in the classroom" right now:

1. Identify those students without access to a computer/tablet for distance learning and provide one. Many districts already own or lease tablets or Chromebooks for their students so it's not an unreasonable expense. If a school district doesn't have the resources to pay for it (such as one located in a poverty-stricken area), the state should do it for them. Many internet providers have been providing free internet service for students whose families can't afford it during the pandemic and I imagine they'll do the same thing again when school starts up again.

2. If that's still not a viable option, have school staff deliver physical worksheets, textbooks, etc. to those students without access to a computer/tablet or internet. This could be done in a way that allows for social distancing (such as leaving it by the door, ringing the bell, and stepping away from the door to allow for 6 feet or more between them and whoever answers the door - pizza chains can figure it out so it shouldn't be difficult to schools to figure out, too). I know of a special needs school that is doing exactly this sort of delivery and it worked out just fine.

We learned in the spring that neither of these solutions are better. They are far off in-person teaching in a classroom. It's not even close. This isn't like homeschooling 1 on 1; it is entirely different. Teachers are not able to do their jobs remotely (especially for the elementary age kids), at no fault of their own. And there are a number of reasons previously mentioned that the above solutions leave out many many at-risk children.

Miss Bella

You have to assume in the course of a day multiple customers will be asymptomatic positive. At first thought it doesn't sound right but a person cutting your hair is going to be within a foot of you for what 20 minutes? Maybe more? A medical professional taking blood, checking your BP or setting up an EKG maybe a minute or so?

I don't know how many areas require masks and face shield. Which do you prefer? Getting your hair cut by your spouse or by a hair dresser with a plastic shield?
Neither. My hairdresser only wears a mask.

milordsloth

It’s a false-hood and a fallacy to think that re-opening schools in FL will be done ‘as safely as possible.’

Clearly, the past 2-3 weeks has proven that FL has absolutely no clue on how to re-open anything safely...

Except WDW? I guess technically not open to the public, so we will see this weekend.

mellyf

We learned in the spring that neither of these solutions are better. They are far off in-person teaching in a classroom. It's not even close. This isn't like homeschooling 1 on 1; it is entirely different. Teachers are not able to do their jobs remotely (especially for the elementary age kids), at no fault of their own. And there are a number of reasons previously mentioned that the above solutions leave out many many at-risk children.

I hope people realize that in-school instruction is going to vastly change. It will not be what students, teachers, and parents are used to.

Disney4family

I just got this small survey from my superintendent about teaching in September -

If school districts are classified in September as stage 4 entities and are able to open, how comfortable are you with teaching your students in person? *
Very comfortable
Comfortable
Somewhat comfortable
Somewhat uncomfortable
Very uncomfortable and would not come in the building to teach

If the district implemented a hybrid method of instruction including in-person instruction for half the class and live-streamed instruction for the other half the class, which schedule would you prefer? *

A Day / B Day - where students are taught in person one day and remotely through live streaming the other day

Monday/Tuesday (in-person Group 1) , Wednesday (remote), Thursday/Friday (in-person Group 2) - where students are organized into two groups attending school for in-person instruction for two consecutive days and having remote instruction via live streaming for the other three consecutive days.

Small Group/Large Group - where all the students attend school everyday and alternate between in-person instruction in the classroom and remote instruction (via live streaming) in a large group located in a larger space (e.g. cafeteria, gymnasium). We are currently researching whether we can accommodate all of the students according to this plan. This plan may require students participating in remote learning one day a week from home.

Chip Chipperson

I disagree. Of course in-school learning is generally better in normal conditions. These aren't normal conditions. Schools close when there are flu outbreaks, but we're supposed to accept sending kids into classrooms while this virus is still going crazy?

Also, if a school employee is visiting homes on a regular basis to deliver work to these at-risk children then they have an opportunity to observe any red flags that might merit notifying the police or local child welfare authorities. The same goes for supplying tablets or Chromebooks. When students are on a video session, teachers can see them and - unlike when students are in the classroom -actually have an opportunity to see how their home life is. If, for example, a parent is drunk/high/whatever and screaming at a kid, the teacher is going to hear it and report it. It's not always as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

No solution available right now is perfect for every student, unfortunately. I just don't believe that schools being forced to open is the best decision at the moment.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I disagree. Of course in-school learning is generally better in normal conditions. These aren't normal conditions. Schools close when there are flu outbreaks, but we're supposed to accept sending kids into classrooms while this virus is still going crazy?

Also, if a school employee is visiting homes on a regular basis to deliver work to these at-risk children then they have an opportunity to observe any red flags that might merit notifying the police or local child welfare authorities. The same goes for supplying tablets or Chromebooks. When students are on a video session, teachers can see them and - unlike when students are in the classroom -actually have an opportunity to see how their home life is. If, for example, a parent is drunk/high/whatever and screaming at a kid, the teacher is going to hear it and report it. It's not always as cut and dry as you seem to think it is.

No solution available right now is perfect for every student, unfortunately. I just don't believe that schools being forced to open is the best decision at the moment.
I’m gonna take the advice of the AAP on this one. And mix it with my own experience this spring.

Chip Chipperson

I’m gonna take the advice of the AAP on this one. And mix it with my own experience this spring.

I completely understand where the AAP is coming from, but I don't think they're concerned about anyone else impacted by opening up schools again - which is to be expected since that's their lane and they're staying in it. But I wouldn't want to be a bus driver with a bus filled with kids who may or may not keep their masks on their faces properly and I wouldn't want to be a cafeteria worker in a school kitchen with other cafeteria workers and hoping that none of them brought a little something extra to work with them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not opposed to schools opening for some form of in person learning this fall. However, they need to lay out plans and expect that in person learning for some or all students will stop at some point. It’s naive to think no kids will be infected. What happens when a kid tests positive? Send just the student home to quarantine? Send the whole class home? Shut the whole school down to quarantine? In any of those cases there have to be immediate fall back plans for distance learning again for at least periods while some kids are quarantining. They also need to figure out busses, lunch, recess and other times when kids from multiple classes get together.

Just like WDW is opening to an “alternate reality” schools will be the same. Some activities won‘t come back, some will with restrictions and there will be extra safety protocols like masks and physical distancing of students. All of the blustering around schools going back to ”full in person learning“ is just counterproductive and political posturing. We all need to consider the impact to kids but also teachers and other workers within the schools. The federal government is likely to have to buck up and pay for things like PPE for staff and also potentially additional workers to handle distance learning for kids on quarantine while the regular teachers are teaching the kids physically in school. Some districts may have the budget to do those things but most don’t. Schools need a bail out too.

Rider

The number of COVID-19 patients at AdventHealth hospitals has “grown significantly over the last week,” so the system is redeploying medical staff to deal with the surge, it said in an email to staff obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.
The hospital system has declared a “Phase 2 emergency” that will allow emergency privileging for medical staff to assist where needed, and it has increased nighttime staffing on multiple campuses, said the email sent Tuesday night.
“As we predicted in May, the Central Florida area is experiencing a surge in COVID-19 admissions,” the email said. “... We are identifying additional needs and potential sources for additional clinicians in the coming weeks.”
The number of hospitalized patients has been steadily growing in the past several weeks, following the phased reopening of the state.
As of Wednesday morning, 10 ICUs were at full capacity at hospitals across Central Florida, twice the number of full ICUs on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom