Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

A gym member recently at Planet Fitness in West Virginia exposed approx 200 other members when the person worked out on a particular day and time frame. The 200 members possibly exposed to the infected gym member that day are advised to quarantine. If an infected guest enjoys MK and possibly exposes thousands of guests and cast, it would be very challenging to not only to try to contact them but they need to cease their vacation activities/ travel plans and quarantine for 14 days.

MadMax11

"False negatives", oh boy, here we go...... I presume in addition to that, there are no false positives?

I tested positive for this. I asked the same question...the way you get false positives is if they mix up your tests with someone else. But the test itself isolates for one thing only...if you get a positive, you're positive. On the other hand, my wife and son both tested negative despite having the exact same symptoms I had. I have zero doubt they both had exactly what I had...including distinctive symptoms like complete loss of taste and smell. The test is difficult to administer and if you get it too early on, it won't show up. It spits out a LOT of false negatives. I'm telling you that with no agenda at all...I experienced it personally (which in anecdotal) and discussed it with my primary care doctor and my next door neighbor who is a doctor at a hospital...and reviewed the CDC's website about it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A gym member recently at Planet Fitness in West Virginia exposed approx 200 other members when the person worked out on a particular day and time frame. The 200 members possibly exposed to the infected gym member that day are advised to quarantine. If an infected guest enjoys MK and possibly exposes thousands of guests and cast, it would be very challenging to not only to try to contact them but they need to cease their vacation activities/ travel plans and quarantine for 14 days.
My god...

And both planet fitness and West Virginia aren’t worth that 🤪

(Call off the dogs...I grew up fairly close to West Virginia and I have rights granted to me by birth from the commonwealth of Pennsylvania to toss that Barb)

milordsloth

Well, that's not comforting at all....

Doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know.. From the article: "With the current level of spread, Schuchat said the U.S. public should “expect this virus to continue to circulate.” She added that people can help to curb the spread of infection by practicing social distancing, wearing a mask and washing their hands, but no one should count on any kind of relief to stop the virus until there’s a vaccine."

So, in my mind, we keep doing what we are doing and let businesses open with social distancing and masks.

Kevin_W

High false negative rate = low sensitivity.

High false positive rate = low specificity.

The problem with the rapid Abbot test was low sensitivity, so in a case where you want to make sure you can identify everyone that actually has the disease (like in a pandemic), a test with a low sensitivity is not particularly useful. Hence, nobody is using this test anymore.

FWIW, Abbot still defends their test. The "50% accurate" was a single study that they say is flawed. Other studies have shown 95% accuracy.

That's about all I know of it, so I can't comment on whether I think Abbot is right or that study was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom