Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

Honest question, what are your "benchmarks" for being concerned about this?

Over 10k case number per day? Over 15% positivity rate? ICU bed percentage? Hospitilization percentage? Death rate?

What do you have to see to say, ok, this thing is bad and needs more corrective action to correct?

This is not a dig, really it isn't. Just really would like to see where people's levels are.
Already stated, one big one , are hospitals being able to handle the load, they have been steady all week, in the normal range, can add many more beds quickly, they have a plan. It is looking at the data overall and not just one or two selected metrics. Like I said all along it is concerning and something to watch. And yes covid patients have increased some but they still can handle it. If they can't, the steps to take are similar to TX, stop electives in the cities/counties that are problematic. Haven't looked at the data today but a vast majority of cases are still in south Florida.

Some are equating FL is currently like where New York was in March, FL is nowhere near that for numerous reasons.

Last edited:

kong1802

yes and look what

Already stated, one big one , are hospitals being able to handle the load, they have been steady all week, in the normal range, can add many more beds quickly, they have a plan. It is looking at the data overall and not just one or two selected metrics. Like I said all along it is concerning and something to watch. And yes covid patients have increased some but they still can handle it. If they can't, the steps to take are similar to TX, stop electives in the cities/counties that are problematic. Haven't looked at the data today but a vast majority of cases are still in south Florida.

Some are equating FL is currently like where New York was in March, FL is nowhere near that for numerous reasons.

So if hospitals in Orange county state they are becoming overrun, then that's pretty much your line?

If so, isn't it a little late at that point to do anything?

Chi84

Premium Member
You can't give yourself COVID.

You can't breathe well through a wet mask, so, that's a reason to make sure it doesn't get wet.
I was referring to the WHO document dated June 5 that refers to "potential self-contamination that can occur if non-medical masks are not changed when wet or soiled. This can create favorable conditions for microorganism to amplify."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Absolutely nothing about this is going well/improving...so can those of you continuing to bang the downplay/hoax drum - and you know who you are (who am I kidding...you don’t 🤪) please take the weekend off.

It’s only going “better”...ironically...in a 3 stare grouping that got tons of flack way back when...

Let it ring, baby 😂

1593184840665.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was referring to the WHO document dated June 5 that refers to "potential self-contamination that can occur if non-medical masks are not changed when wet or soiled. This can create favorable conditions for microorganism to amplify."
You bring up a good point:

We don’t understand/have been stupid about ppe as well. Starting in the “penthouse” and all the way down

mickeymiss

New York's worst day was "only" 12,274 new cases. Florida is on pace to pass that.
I'm asking this with zero snark but weren't we supposed to expect many more cases with opening? My state CDC director always says our big surges are a good thing in every meeting. He says the death rate is what to watch. Didn't Fauci himself say that the infection rate will be about the same whenever we open? The goal was to prepare hospitals and protect high risk people. We can't stay closed so we move to the next best thing. Stay home if you are high risk or anxious, wear masks especially indoors, maintain distance, and cautiously navigate our way through it. There's nothing else to do without destroying more lives than we aim to save.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
yes and look what

Because jfk international alone has 3,000.000 arrivals from Europe in the months of January, February and March. They had no choice but to get the spikes coming out of the fog of “unknown”...

Florida - on the other hand - in June is earning their own stupidity.

I don’t need to make a generalization there...it’s already been made in most people’s minds 😉

techgeek

Disney (and Universal) certainly have an uphill battle to justify opening from the view of the general public. Reading reactions on twitter / reddit to these numbers, one of the common refrains is rapidly becoming “Disney needs to delay opening.”

The pitchforks might have come out in the Disney fan community yesterday over Splash, but a far larger crowd is beginning to murmur restlessly over this. It’s getting harder to see a reasonable path out of this for Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm asking this with zero snark but weren't we supposed to expect many more cases with opening? My state CDC director always says our big surges are a good thing in every meeting. He says the death rate is what to watch. Didn't Fauci himself say that the infection rate will be about the same whenever we open? The goal was to prepare hospitals and protect high risk people. We can't stay closed so we move to the next best thing. Stay home if you are high risk or anxious, wear masks especially indoors, maintain distance, and cautiously navigate our way through it. There's nothing else to do without destroying more lives than we aim to save.
No...you were supposed to isolate the cases and test people BEFORE opening.

...But that doesn’t fit on a 30 second PAC ad..

natatomic

Honest question, what are your "benchmarks" for being concerned about this?

Over 10k case number per day? Over 15% positivity rate? ICU bed percentage? Hospitilization percentage? Death rate?

What do you have to see to say, ok, this thing is bad and needs more corrective action to correct?

This is not a dig, really it isn't. Just really would like to see where people's levels are.

I don’t want to say that I’m “not concerned,” but I also don’t feel a need to panic yet. Yes, the numbers seem high, but it’s only .5% of the FL population have contracted the virus since March and .01% of the population has died from it. Again, I’m not saying we shouldnt be cautious, but at the same time, I don’t feel any need to freak out either. 🤷🏻‍♀️

DCBaker

Premium Member
"All bars across the state of Florida can no longer serve alcohol, officials announced on Friday.

Halsey Beshears, the secretary of Florida's Department of Business and Professional Regulation, tweeted around 11 a.m. that the state is "suspending on premises consumption of alcohol at bars statewide."

The order goes into effect immediately."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney (and Universal) certainly have an uphill battle to justify opening from the view of the general public. Reading reactions on twitter / reddit to these numbers, one of the common refrains is rapidly becoming “Disney needs to delay opening.”

The pitchforks might have come out in the Disney fan community yesterday over Splash, but a far larger crowd is beginning to murmur restlessly over this. It’s getting harder to see a reasonable path out of this for Disney.
If they open now, it looks greedy and tone deaf....

And most people aren’t coming anyway...so there’s no money in it.

They have by my guess about 4-5 days to figure this out. It’s a wrinkle in 100% sure Disney didn’t want to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom