Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

I'm curious, have there been reports on how the masks work with rollercoasters?

I haven’t been on one with one myself yet, but I frequent some coaster forums and the general consensus is it’s not a big deal. Many parks did extensive testing (Sea World testing on Mako generated a lot of online attention) and found that as long as they are properly secured, masks generally stay in place.

Disney’s coasters aren’t among the most forceful out there by any measure, so it shouldn’t be a problem. I think the water rides are a greater issue.

Elizabeth Swann

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The study did not report any deaths in children younger than 10, who represented less than 1% of the patients.

Prince-1

Well they didn’t have the natural immunity. Some aren’t blessed with it.

jt04

This is another reason they don't tell people the risk is very low to children. Because the risk is not zero. Thanks for bolstering my 'argument '. Be careful out there.

JoeCamel

Generic term. Next time I will call it "that infection that causes flu like symptoms for those who have symtoms"
Orrrr, you could just call it Covid-19. Not hard. Your thinking and logic is very flawed here. There is not "natural immunity" among the young, there is natural resistance to developing the more severe symptoms of contracting it. The starting point is much higher so when it hits they have further to fall and more time to fight it off. The older start lower so they bottom sooner. No "immunity" involved. Maybe it is just a lack of understanding what these terms mean.
I know I am posting at a wall, you have shown you have no interest in anything more than your viewpoints (for years) no matter if they are valid or proven false. When you get pushback you move the goalposts then ignore when you get called on it.
Bye

John park hopper

Orrrr, you could just call it Covid-19. Not hard. Your thinking and logic is very flawed here. There is not "natural immunity" among the young, there is natural resistance to developing the more severe symptoms of contracting it. The starting point is much higher so when it hits they have further to fall and more time to fight it off. The older start lower so they bottom sooner. No "immunity" involved. Maybe it is just a lack of understanding what these terms mean.
I know I am posting at a wall, you have shown you have no interest in anything more than your viewpoints (for years) no matter if they are valid or proven false. When you get pushback you move the goalposts then ignore when you get called on it.
Bye
Your immune system is like a new car it runs great and has no problems as the car ages it doesn't run as well your immune system is no different when you are young it's in tip top shape as we age it it does not respond to infection as well thus older folks are more prone to getting a bad case of cover-19

Last edited:

mickeymiss

I keep hearing from certain media sources that this is overwhelmingly contagious (not denying it) but some even say it's the most contagious virus ever known. We know that's not true though. Measles is. I haven't seen any reproductive numbers higher than 6 for covid. Measles is up to 18. Chicken pox is 12. Chicken pox is well known for often requiring pretty close contact for an extended period of time to transmit. It's not impossible but rare to catch from a stranger, for example. It seems like covid operates similarly. It's very contagious in the settings that it favors: households, nursing homes, close contact workplaces, etc. It seems to me that opening essential stores with masks was an immediate success and we should have moved sooner into opening other businesses with those same safety measures.

I don't know if anyone can find it. I thought I also read that the reproductive number was proven to decrease to 1 or below with masks.

JoeCamel

I keep hearing from certain media sources that this is overwhelmingly contagious (not denying it) but some even say it's the most contagious virus ever known. We know that's not true though. Measles is. I haven't seen any reproductive numbers higher than 6 for covid. Measles is up to 18. Chicken pox is 12. Chicken pox is well known for often requiring pretty close contact for an extended period of time to transmit. It's not impossible but rare to catch from a stranger, for example. It seems like covid operates similarly. It's very contagious in the settings that it favors: households, nursing homes, close contact workplaces, etc. It seems to me that opening essential stores with masks was an immediate success and we should have moved sooner into opening other businesses with those same safety measures.

I don't know if anyone can find it. I thought I also read that the reproductive number was proven to decrease to 1 or below with masks.
The study I saw said R.7 with 70% mask compliance.
Wear the damn mask!

Jrb1979

Everyone keeps saying theme parks are one of the safest places to go right now and I disagree. IMO they should be way down the line for opening. While you can social distance in most of the parks but in queues you are in close contact for awhile. Even with social distancing in place you will still be in close contact with others for a long period of time.

beertiki

More bad news from Key West.

I use KW as a comparison to Disney, as I think that WDW will see similar events happen. This is what happens when you have a large influx of tourists. Some of the same people from Miami who have been coming down here will be driving to Orlando next month. The other thing to remember is, the people traveling do not take social distancing and masks as seriously as those who are staying home. They are the ones who have been going to local bars and restaurants, friends houses, and shopping every day.

Several more positives cases yesterday. A famous bar has closed because of a positive case, and a few others. Bars are shutting down voluntarily. Positive cases at the county office, they closed too. The military (NAS KW) has prohibited going to almost every business or social event off base.

We opened to tourists on June 1st. WDW can expect the same results 3 weeks after the open.

Bartattack

As we (in Belgium) are getting more and more back to a 'normal' life... there are appearing interviews with survivors of the virus. Some of them are younger people who are warning to not let your guard down. They went trough the infection and are still recovering. Most of them are healthy young people. They think it's a cliché that only old or people with pre-existing conditions are vulnerable. The problem is that young people are the most dangerous spreaders of the virus. Most of them don't know they have it if they don't show symptoms... and they think they are invulnerable. This is a bad combination because they spread it the most...which leads to more other infected people who are not so lucky.

Here are three cases of young people who are recovering (sorry it's only in flemish/dutch).

One of them is a healthy 23 year old student. He got the first symptoms on march 28th... it went directly for his lungs. he couldn't do anything without being out of breath. He ended up in hospital in may! He had constant bad headaches... and couldn't eat two bites without gasping for air. Now he is learning how to walk again.
Another one is a 26 year old marathon-runner. He also got the infection in march and is not yet fully recovered after 3 months. Still has pain in his chest... tired all the time....his heart is weakened so he needs to give his body a lot of rest. Some healthy people may end up having the most problems afterwards.

They all say: it's all fun and games untill it hits you or somebody in your family.... then people start to wake up and realize why certain measures are necessary.

Prince-1

“ Ok doc, so no proof. Just some wild assumptions you made. Another wannabe expert. 👍

Cute you are calling out another poster for name calling. Did you forget you typed that or are you just that unaware?

Oh I was aware. But thanks for your question. 😉

Epcotfan21

More bad news from Key West.

I use KW as a comparison to Disney, as I think that WDW will see similar events happen. This is what happens when you have a large influx of tourists. Some of the same people from Miami who have been coming down here will be driving to Orlando next month. The other thing to remember is, the people traveling do not take social distancing and masks as seriously as those who are staying home. They are the ones who have been going to local bars and restaurants, friends houses, and shopping every day.

Several more positives cases yesterday. A famous bar has closed because of a positive case, and a few others. Bars are shutting down voluntarily. Positive cases at the county office, they closed too. The military (NAS KW) has prohibited going to almost every business or social event off base.

We opened to tourists on June 1st. WDW can expect the same results 3 weeks after the open.
I have a trip to Islamorada booked for August. Really hoping they don't shut down the Keys again.

Kevin_W

After a steady decline for April/May, my state has shown an uptick in the past week as well. Deaths and hospitalizations are largely flat (hospitalizations slightly up). Similar to Florida, the median age of the infected has dropped from 51 to 42.

1593176399540.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom