Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina_yankee

I haven't said they are wrong. Cases are going to go up dramatically. Positivity rate will go up. The junk science is that video by computer scientists about mask, pretty video and well done but..
This is a very bad thing. You want positivity to go DOWN with more testing!!!

You mean like this? Increased testing. Lower positivity. Declining cases.

4B50AC2E-754B-43EB-87F1-6899B03C7C82.jpeg

This is what Johns Hopkins says about positivity:

The rate of positivity is an important indicator because it can provide insights into whether a community is conducting enough testing to find cases. If a community’s positivity is high, it suggests that that community may largely be testing the sickest patients and possibly missing milder or asymptomatic cases. A lower positivity may indicate that a community is including in its testing patients with milder or no symptoms. The WHO has said that in countries that have conducted extensive testing for COVID-19, should remain at 5% or lower for at least 14 days.

Could be fake science though. :rolleyes:

carolina_yankee

So say hypothetically if the majority who are tested positive is over 90% asymptomatic, did not know they have/had it and now we know from testing that they should quarantine etc. that is a bad thing? Remember hospitalizations are steady, the virus is already out there.

The bottom line is that Florida’s rate of spread is growing (not good), positivity rate is climbing (indicating inadequate testing), and contact tracing is tragically low. Those are recipes for this thing getting out of hand.

Low hospitalization utilization is outstanding. Maybe Florida can withstand the next wave. It would be a shame if doing so, though, meant that elective procedures had to be postponed again in order to guarantee needed bed space, which would hurt health in other areas and be financially disastrous for hospitals and the economy.

Because of mask and social-distance resistance.

You don’t want to see and you aren’t posting credentialed information, so I guess that’s pretty much as far is this can go.

oceanbreeze77

You mean like this? Increased testing. Lower positivity. Declining cases.

View attachment 477993

This is what Johns Hopkins says about positivity:

Could be fake science though. :rolleyes:
Thats what I find interesting. All of these anti science states are dragging their heels when it comes to testing, but IF its true that the infection rate really isn't all that high, then they should be in favor of widespread testing as it would help their case.

legwand77

The bottom line is that Florida’s rate of spread is growing (not good), positivity rate is climbing (indicating inadequate testing), and contact tracing is tragically low. Those are recipes for this thing getting out of hand.

Low hospitalization utilization is outstanding. Maybe Florida can withstand the next wave. It would be a shame if doing so, though, meant that elective procedures had to be postponed again in order to guarantee needed bed space, which would hurt health in other areas and be financially disastrous for hospitals and the economy.

You don’t want to see and you aren’t posting credentialed information, so I guess that’s pretty much as far is this can go.

Yes, you have a different opinion , the parts you put in parenthetical. As I said the facts are facts. The rest is just your suppositions and there is nothing wrong with that, but they are not facts.

I have posted credentialed info when warranted and asked. I even agree with the facts and charts you posted. I am not even anti mask, mask up doesn't matter to me. Social distancing is key (it is the only thing proven to work).

DisneyDebRob

Pretty amazing chart from beginning of year and how Covid deaths surpassed everything else. Give a watch! It moves so the people that don’t like a static chart will find pretty cool. Not the deaths, the chart. Only up through May 24 so it’s continually going. Watching covid at the bottom and just moving past everything in a short period of time is just a wow.

DisneyCane

Any doctor that is an anti-vaxxer is a quack.

As long as your friend wasn't within 6' of anyone, the person that yelled at them is a moron.

I agree with the quack part, but, as I said in reply to @The Mom earlier, the studies that he references do exist and my wife's personal experience with N95 masks back up that there are some level of adverse effects caused by them.

As for my friend, he was jogging and took a wide swath around the person. He wasn't anywhere in the vicinity for more than a second and even then was over 6' away. You do have people driving around in cars by themselves with masks on which makes absolutely no sense so I guess some people just don't get the concept.

celluloid

Fathers are allowed in operating rooms for c-sections, even emergency ones. Or do you mean right now they’re not allowed in?

That has depended on the hospital even in climates without pandemics. They still are at the ones they are allowed in. Since they are, I am not as worried as some are claiming.

legwand77

I think New Zealand with 0 cases has done the best job. Just my opinion of course.

Since some champion the way New Zealand handled the outbreak, New Zealand Ministry of Health says

There is no convincing evidence one way or other to require the use of non-medical face masks for healthy people in the community to protect from COVID-19. There are potential benefits and potential risks with such use.

oceanbreeze77

Since some champion the way New Zealand handled the outbreak, New Zealand Ministry of Health says

There is no convincing evidence one way or other to require the use of non-medical face masks for healthy people in the community to protect from COVID-19. There are potential benefits and potential risks with such use.

They also said:
"Non-medical masks could provide an additional element of protection in preventing someone who is infectious with COVID-19 spreading this infection to others. This is through potentially ‘catching’ large infectious respiratory droplets produced by the wearer, so they do not spread further. This is called ‘source control’.

Non-medical masks are not proven to effectively protect the person wearing them from becoming infected by others. They are therefore not a substitute for basic hygiene measures and physical distancing, where possible and practical. Some of the reasons for this include the types of materials used for the masks and how they are worn."

This is what US doctors have been saying too, but in New Zealand, they listened to the government and didn't go out into mass crowds until it was safe. Here in the US we did the opposite. We don't even have enough masks for medical personal so yes, non medical masks are the next best layer of protection.

DisneyCane

Would someone please tell Brandon Straka which airlines those are? He needs a new one.

American Airlines bans activist who was kicked off plane for refusing to wear mask

This is a case where people who cite the law need to know the law. When you purchase a plane ticket, you are agreeing to the airline's policies. It's the same as a dress code. There's no law that you have to wear a shirt on an aircraft but it is the airline's policy.

Likely, if you purchased the ticket prior to the requirement, they would have to give you a refund if you choose not to fly because you don't want to wear a mask.

legwand77

They also said:
"Non-medical masks could provide an additional element of protection in preventing someone who is infectious with COVID-19 spreading this infection to others. This is through potentially ‘catching’ large infectious respiratory droplets produced by the wearer, so they do not spread further. This is called ‘source control’.

Non-medical masks are not proven to effectively protect the person wearing them from becoming infected by others. They are therefore not a substitute for basic hygiene measures and physical distancing, where possible and practical. Some of the reasons for this include the types of materials used for the masks and how they are worn."

This is what US doctors have been saying too, but in New Zealand, they listened to the government and didn't go out into mass crowds until it was safe. Here in the US we did the opposite. We don't even have enough masks for medical personal so yes, non medical masks are the next best layer of protection.
Yes and also what I have been saying , we agree!

Polkadotdress

Stay tuned. There will be many employees both Universal and Disney that will test positive, that is a actually a good thing. The more people test positive you will see that for most people this is not an issue.

Um...I'm not certain that the Disney Cast Members nor their union would agree with this fact.

lazyboy97o

This is not new or different information.

DisneyCane

It is very clear that the issue with this latest spike is in the young adult demographic. I happened to have the 6/1 PDF report saved on my laptop (data through 5/31). I used today's report to look at the age group of new cases from 6/1-6/19.

AgeCases 6/1-6/19Percent
0-4
745​
2%​
5-14
1544​
4%​
15-24
6684​
18%​
25-34
7871​
22%​
35-44
5916​
16%​
45-54
5123​
14%​
55-64
3926​
11%​
65-74
2223​
6%​
75-84
1281​
4%​
85+
887​
2%​

This is why the hospitalizations aren't increasing because the 65+ demographic only accounts for 12% of the new cases in the past almost 3 weeks. Ages 15-44, which includes all the young adults makes up 56%.

It needs to be figured out what those young adults are doing different than older people. The 45-54 demographic made up 17% of the cases from the beginning through 5/31. Since 5/31, that has dropped to 14%. There is definitely a difference in behavior in this middle aged bracket from the young adults.

Relative to each other, through 5/31 the total cases in the 45-54 bracket was 43% of the total of 15-44. For the 6/1-6/19 period it was 34%. This ratio shows that the increase in the young adult demographic percentage is not due to the 65+ demographic taking better precautions or better protections in nursing homes.

The positivity rate for the 25-34 and 15-24 demographic indicates that those demographics are not being tested enough so there are probably even more out there which would skew the data more into that age group.

The question is what are these millennials doing that is causing this? Are they all going to bars? Having parties? The protests?

The good news is that the younger people don't seem to be infecting the older people.

iMax

Stay tuned. There will be many employees both Universal and Disney that will test positive, that is a actually a good thing. The more people test positive you will see that for most people this is not an issue.

As a WDW CM that's soon to return to work I've whole heartidly accepted that this virus isn't going anywhere for a long time and its just something that everyone will have to deal with at some point in time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

No, it's not. You couldn't be more wrong. Nor your sentiment be more callous.

Though younger people do better with COVID it still can kill and permanently scar them (their lungs, and even other organs). Even though a small percentage, just one death is one too many.

This is where you've lost all credibility in this discussion, wishing the virus on people to prove your point just so you don't have to wear a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom