Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaveOnEd

Would that seem to imply that it's not so much that Disney hasn't paid for work done, but rather the contractors who were told to stop working during the shutdown covering themselves for Disney to continue to honor the contract once work can resume? The way I'm thinking about it is, it forces Disney to either resume as scheduled or pay for breach of contract in order for the contractor to drop the lien.
Sometimes you'll have a contractor or sub file liens for any number of reasons, the mechanic's liens. I'll see some where I work (commercial and construction lending) that file those prior to work beginning to secure their claim to getting paid after that phase of work is done.

It's kind of a "guaranteed contract" for construction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Would that seem to imply that it's not so much that Disney hasn't paid for work done, but rather the contractors who were told to stop working during the shutdown covering themselves for Disney to continue to honor the contract once work can resume? The way I'm thinking about it is, it forces Disney to either resume as scheduled or pay for breach of contract in order for the contractor to drop the lien.

A lot of the ones I have reviewed so far are for projects that are already complete.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sounds like 'cash flow management' to me :) With all the players in the chain being part of the game..
A few years ago my company had one of these activist investor types buy a stake in the company and force an overall “transformation plan” that included asset sales, layoffs and changes in corporate policy. We were forced to bring in one of these management consulting firms (the bobs) filled with MBA and PHD graduates who never actually worked in a corporate setting. One of the first things they suggested we do is to delay all outgoing payments by 60 days. Basically if a bill is due April 1 don’t pay it until June 1. The idea is you improve working capital and cash flow because of the 60 day lag and as long as you are a big fish people will still do business with you because they want that business and need it more than you need them. It’s a short sighted plan, but definitely in the playbook for distress situations. It’s very possible that’s what is going on right now. Simple cash flow management.

Another possibility is the classic rule of thumb that you never pay a contractor until you are completely satisfied with the work. If 99.9% of the project is done but there’s a few clean up items left Disney could be holding out payment. Then the construction shut down prevents the clean up work from happening but the contractor still has bills to pay so they go after Disney for payment. It’s even possible all of the work got done but a final inspection wasn’t complete so no payment. Lots of possibilities. Probably a mix of all of them.

Kevin_W

Not sure where to throw this, or if it's been discussed already, but have you guys seen that Disney is probably 3D mapping their theme parks right now? Heard anything @marni1971

I saw that article. I don't know what they would use a 3D map for (online games? in-house mockups of future projects?), but it's cool the technology exists to do this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw that article. I don't know what they would use a 3D map for (online games? in-house mockups of future projects?), but it's cool the technology exists to do this.
Maybe they plan to make park maps on the app and Disney website 3D or at least have a 3D option. The 3D map of Galaxy Edge looks really cool either way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance here but what is this lien against Disney anyway? What are they? I can only infer from a bank lien but I am not sure how it is applicable to Disney here,
A lien is the legal claim of one person upon the property of another person to secure the payment of a debt or the satisfaction of an obligation.

Basically you do work on my house, I don't pay you so you file a lien on the property. This prevents me from selling the property and in some cases could make me forfeit it to satisfy the lien.

Another common scenario is a contractor does work and is paid by the property owner, but the contract does not pay one of his subs or material suppliers. The subs or material suppliers would then file a lien against the property owner.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A lien is the legal claim of one person upon the property of another person to secure the payment of a debt or the satisfaction of an obligation.

Basically you do work on my house, I don't pay you so you file a lien on the property. This prevents me from selling the property and in some cases could make me forfeit it to satisfy the lien.

Another common scenario is a contractor does work and is paid by the property owner, but the contract does not pay one of his subs or material suppliers. The subs or material suppliers would then file a lien against the property owner.
I didn’t think about the subcontractor aspect. So if some general contractors are having cash flow issues it’s possible that they are late on payments. Could have not much to do with Disney directly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would they propose a date so far away?
Subject to quarterly review so could be revoked any time. I wonder if that’s put out there because a lot of tourists book rentals up to a year in advance and they want to let people know that it’s likely that unless things change there will likely be a mask rule in place.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Correct me if I am wrong, but the reservation system to be used to get into a WDW park is currently to extend into June 2021?

Yes, but I don't know if they've specifically said anything about masks. I assume they wouldn't do one without the other but I'm only a guest. Thank you, Clue fans.

G00fyDad

Thank you. That is what I was thinking but I was wondering if it was something else and I just didn't want to assume. :)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yep, its not going to get any better anytime soon either. :(

But again, there seems to be a higher # of cases, but a low # of deaths, they are going in the opposite direction per this FL Dashboard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom