Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

"Canada and the US have agreed to extend their agreement to keep border closed to non essential travel to June 21 during the coronavirus pandemic."

I'm glad they extended it. We are just starting to get our cases down here in Ontario. Til we get better screening at the border we should keep it closed for the time being.

Piebald

I keep seeing people point to states that reopened (perhaps prematurely according to some) as successfully not causing huge spikes but based on the Google mobility data there doesnt seem to be a lot of people rushing out of their homes to go to the mall or the gym. I'd be apprehensive of calling that a huge win until a few weeks down the road.

Theme parks opening up will be interesting because that may very well be the first indicators of very large groups of people going to a specific place in the midst of this. It would set precedent for sporting events, concerts, carnivals, etc. If things go well then good but of things go poorly then we are back to square one or even worse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I keep seeing people point to states that reopened (perhaps prematurely according to some) as successfully not causing huge spikes but based on the Google mobility data there doesnt seem to be a lot of people rushing out of their homes to go to the mall or the gym. I'd be apprehensive of calling that a huge win until a few weeks down the road.

Theme parks opening up will be interesting because that may very well be the first indicators of very large groups of people going to a specific place in the midst of this. It would set precedent for sporting events, concerts, carnivals, etc. If things go well then good but of things go poorly then we are back to square one or even worse.
We really need more time to digest the data as it becomes available too. People on both sides are in a rush to point out positive or negative trends from the first few weeks of re-opening. We need to wait several weeks to a month to understand if the statistics we see are a real trend or just anomalies. By Memorial Day weekend at least some parts of all 50 states will be out of full stay at home orders. There’s a good chance more and more people will be going out and moving around soon. It won‘t be until the second half of June where we can really see the trends from all of that.

I agree with your opinion on theme park openings setting the trend for others. I’m sure Disney would have preferred to be able to point at MLB or large concert venues and say if they are open we should be too, but it looks like theme parks could be among the first large group gathering venues to try it. I do think Disney and Universal are happy to wait to see the results of some of the Smaller more local attractions opening first. They especially want to see how people behave. If there’s a general disrespect for the rules laid out I think it will push back their opening plans, if all goes well and people generally behave well then it’s a good indicator they could give it a try. City Walk and Disney Springs give a little taste for that behavior too, but since that’s mostly locals it’s still not 100% the same as bringing people in from around the country.

Nordic4tKnight

We really need more time to digest the data as it becomes available too. People on both sides are in a rush to point out positive or negative trends from the first few weeks of re-opening. We need to wait several weeks to a month to understand if the statistics we see are a real trend or just anomalies. By Memorial Day weekend at least some parts of all 50 states will be out of full stay at home orders. There’s a good chance more and more people will be going out and moving around soon. It won‘t be until the second half of June where we can really see the trends from all of that.

I agree with your opinion on theme park openings setting the trend for others. I’m sure Disney would have preferred to be able to point at MLB or large concert venues and say if they are open we should be too, but it looks like theme parks could be among the first large group gathering venues to try it. I do think Disney and Universal are happy to wait to see the results of some of the Smaller more local attractions opening first. They especially want to see how people behave. If there’s a general disrespect for the rules laid out I think it will push back their opening plans, if all goes well and people generally behave well then it’s a good indicator they could give it a try. City Walk and Disney Springs give a little taste for that behavior too, but since that’s mostly locals it’s still not 100% the same as bringing people in from around the country.
Aren’t some Six Flags parks going to be opening soon? That would be an excellent test case.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aren’t some Six Flags parks going to be opening soon? That would be an excellent test case.
They have definitely released details on the plans to re-open and the reservation system they will use. I haven’t seen any firm dates but I imagine it will depend on the state and local requirements too. I would expect some Six Flags locations to open before Disney and Universal do. Maybe not Great Adventure in NJ or Magic Mountain in CA but some of their other parks. They should be another good test case.

Touchdown

We really won’t have an idea of where we are going in regards to Covid until around July 4th, you can’t declare victory after only 2 weeks. If expeditional growth returns it will be very obvious after 4-6 cycles. Texas is currently very concerning, yes they are testing more but they are seeing a very large increase in positive cases, if the governor is right and it’s only because of increased testing then in 4-6 weeks numbers should drop; if he’s wrong they won’t and it will be very obvious.

hopemax

We really won’t have an idea of where we are going in regards to Covid until around July 4th, you can’t declare victory after only 2 weeks. If expeditional growth returns it will be very obvious after 4-6 cycles. Texas is currently very concerning, yes they are testing more but they are seeing a very large increase in positive cases, if the governor is right and it’s only because of increased testing then in 4-6 weeks numbers should drop; if he’s wrong they won’t and it will be very obvious.
I have been trying to find out what the future will look like, and it looks like exponential growth may be off the table, because enough people have and will continue to modify their behavior. Instead, the growth will be smaller, but steady, and the severity will be more obvious in hindsight. People will look back and wonder how it climbed so much because on a daily basis, especially in the beginning, it didn't seem like that much. Boiling frogs path. So there will be ample amount of opportunity for finger pointing. :banghead:

Ponderer

Because the Hong Kong flu retained the antigen N2, persons that had be exposed to the 1957 virus apparently retained immune protection through the 1968 one. That would explain the mildness of it compared to 1918. Covid is a whole different beast. And the second wave was much worse.

There's also evidence that there was a mild version of the 1918 virus that had gone around years before, and had given older people immunity when it circled back in 1918. (The so-called Spanish Flu almost exclusively effected children and the young, which tends to lend credence to this theory.)

Calmdownnow

Are Six Flag parks mainly servicing a localized customer base, or do they attract guests who fly in from out of state? If they are the former, then they are only testing part of the equation and not a key element which would be whether someone flying in from a hot spot (say Iowa) is then capable of passing infection on to people who may fly out to another half dozen (or more) States.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are Six Flag parks mainly servicing a localized customer base, or do they attract guests who fly in from out of state? If they are the former, then they are only testing part of the equation and not a key element which would be whether someone flying in from a hot spot (say Iowa) is then capable of passing infection on to people who may fly out to another half dozen (or more) States.
I would say they are more regional parks. Bigger than a local attraction like mini-golf or go carts but not as national as Disney or Universal. People probably drive from hours away to visit a six flags but I doubt many fly to do it. Could be part of a larger trip that they hit a six flags park but people generally don’t fly in just to visit six flags. I think that’s why they should be able to open sooner in select areas. Maybe not NJ but some less impacted places. They are still a good test for how well people behave and follow rules in a larger park with lots of lines and crowds.

Jrb1979

I would say they are more regional parks. Bigger than a local attraction like mini-golf or go carts but not as national as Disney or Universal. People probably drive from hours away to visit a six flags but I doubt many fly to do it. Could be part of a larger trip that they hit a six flags park but people generally don’t fly in just to visit six flags. I think that’s why they should be able to open sooner in select areas. Maybe not NJ but some less impacted places. They are still a good test for how well people behave and follow rules in a larger park with lots of lines and crowds.
I have flown to go to Cedar Fair parks lots of times. You would be surprised how many do that. There is many who go around the country riding the new coasters. I'm more excited for the Jurassic Park coaster then RIse of the Resistance.

michmousefan

disney-springs_full_37828-jpg.471389

Typical Disney... taking "screening/security theater" to a whole new level...

Attachments

• disney-springs_Full_37828.jpg
    disney-springs_Full_37828.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,014

Calmdownnow

They are still a good test for how well people behave and follow rules in a larger park with lots of lines and crowds.
Thoughtful post that highlights one side of the epidemiological equation -- the psychology of whether people can or will follow social distance in a park environment (and there may be regional differences of course based on prevalent localized attitudes to the disease and apparent infection rates). Another side is whether spread across the country relates to whether people from a wide geographic base (with differing infection rates in those States) happens if people meet and mix in large numbers. There will be other aspects, including demographics (including age, ethnicity and health profiles) or travel choices of people that may impact on any assessment. So many variables...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have flown to go to Cedar Fair parks lots of times. You would be surprised how many do that. There is many who go around the country riding the new coasters. I'm more excited for the Jurassic Park coaster then RIse of the Resistance.
No doubt there are some people who do travel for Six Flags but 85% of WDW guests come from outside of Florida. I don’t know the exact numbers for Sis Flags but it’s probably close to the exact opposite with an overwhelming majority of visitors coming from within a few hour drive. It’s a whole different ballgame to open WDW with all the mixing of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom