Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

No doubt there are some people who do travel for Six Flags but 85% of WDW guests come from outside of Florida. I don’t know the exact numbers for Sis Flags but it’s probably close to the exact opposite with an overwhelming majority of visitors coming from within a few hour drive. It’s a whole different ballgame to open WDW with all the mixing of people.
I agree. The only thing I will say is I think it's a shame that so many think all Cedar Fair parks are the same and it's just a bunch of roller coasters.

Tink242424

Flu vaccines are easily made. New ones are made every year. There is a base knowledge already in existence of what is needed. It's just modified to fit the needs of the specific strain.

This is totally different.

We have no baseline vaccine for ANY coronavirus to modify.

The difference can be seen in what type of coronavirus vaccines are being pushed and heralded as "having early signs that it's safe and may even be effective in prevention". (Note they slip in that they don't have evidence yet that it prevents someone from getting infected.) What methods are they using? In one of the leading vaccines they are using unproven, cutting-edge technologies that have no record of safety behind them, namely gene-editing. The only other vaccine in history to use this was the Ebola vaccine they just made a couple of years ago, and it wasn't as major of an technique in the development. (Not that it wasn't careless, but that's another story.) It's interesting that the same techniques of gene-editing were condemned for use in humans as reckless due to it's unknown long-term affects. A Chinese scientist was jailed for 3 years for editing genes in babies. Additionally, the world has largely embraced non-GMO food and showed a preference in non-GMO eating with their purchasing power after decades of being told that genetically modified food would be the solution to mankind's food chain problems. What is GMO? Genetically modified organism. Their use in crops was promised to reduce pesticide use, increase crop yields, and provide the same nutritional value. Instead more pesticides are needed, they have led to the rise of "superweeds" that do not die when sprayed with herbicides (genetic mutation driven by it's growth in dirt containing decaying plant matter of modified crops), large numbers of people who grew up eating them have developed allergies or intolerances to these foods, and the nutritional value is often much lower including the amount of vital nutrients, minerals, and vitamins they contain.

This technology, with all it's issues and questions, is being used to modify a monkey virus similar to the common cold that infects your cells and recodes them to produce the equivalent of the outer ring of the coronavirus. The purpose is for your body to recognize the corona of the coronavirus and attack it. They use a chimpanzee virus because the hope is you have never been infected by a chimpanzee virus. If you were, your immune system would fight it off before it got to infect your cells and the benefits would be zero. However, if you haven't, the scientists give it a "fair shot" (I thought a vaccine was supposed to be more effective than a coin flip...but maybe that's just me.) to infect your cells and do what they want it to do. However, to make it "safe" they have "turned off" a gene that doesn't allow the virus to grow and spread. If it were allowed to, this could be just another pandemic waiting to happen. Of course, viruses mutate all the time. So, who's to say the virus doesn't mutate and turn the gene back on or something equally/more dangerous? Let's not think about that...let's just inject this virus into the host and allow the patient to develop an immune response and build antibodies. What could go wrong? We love putting genetically modified organisms in our body, right?

I agree this could be very scary and regardless of where I stand on vaccinations I would not want to get the vaccine in the early months. No one knows what other kinds of side effect there could be and it could kill way more than the virus would. I hope that the scientific community doesn't rush a vaccine out that causes more damage like the Swine Flu vaccine. I would rather live with social distancing than have a vaccine kill more people than the virus or cause a different pandemic.

Touchdown

Looks like Dollywood could be the first theme park to open

They have yet to announce an actual opening day yet.

The spiritual successor to (tr)Action Park, Mt Olympus in the Wisconsin Dells is opening, to resort guests only.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
disney-springs_full_37828-jpg.471389

Typical Disney... taking "screening/security theater" to a whole new level...
Or they were able to save these people their jobs. Depends on how negative you want to be.

Calmdownnow

Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Gulf, Franklin and Bay counties in FL can begin short-term rentals again.
Can I make a rental in these areas if I am from out of State or from another country, or do I have to quarantine for a period once I arrive at the rental?

TrojanUSC

No doubt there are some people who do travel for Six Flags but 85% of WDW guests come from outside of Florida. I don’t know the exact numbers for Sis Flags but it’s probably close to the exact opposite with an overwhelming majority of visitors coming from within a few hour drive. It’s a whole different ballgame to open WDW with all the mixing of people.

Exactly. CDC guidelines about keeping travel to essential trips only is still in place. It would be reckless to open while that is still in place.

TrainsOfDisney

Looks like Dollywood could be the first theme park to open

Neither Dollywood nor its sister park Silver Dollar City have announced a plan to reopen.

Herschend is a private, family owned company and does not have to answer to a board of directors or shareholders so there is no pressure to reopen.

Speaking of family owned parks - holiday world plans to open June 17. They have confirmed free soft drinks will still be available, served based on current health reccomendations. Dated tickets, and virtual lines - they are making plans for people without smartphones or for people who’s smartphone battery drained. Also... no face mask requirement at this time.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!

We have season passes for SFOT and that’s probably a good guess. Typically there are groups that will bus in for a day or maybe two split between Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor. This time of year draws a lot of senior/grad trips from the region. Your guesstimate is probably in the ballpark from what we see.

Polynesia

Lilofan

Perhaps stories like these need to go to the politics section. Apparently cover ups are not just in one state😓
I think the story regarding Florida should be shared to all who are traveling to Florida. The tourism industry is studying accurate corona data (hopefully it is accurate) to open up safely.

DisneyDebRob

Perhaps stories like these need to go to the politics section. Apparently cover ups are not just in one state😓
I disagree. It’s not political in the sense that it’s this party against the other party. This is a Covid /WDW thread. This is very important to the opening of the park and the people that are going to go. Visitors need the correct info before they travel. I would say it really needs to be in this thread.
What you just posted has nothing to do with WDW.

Last edited:

Phil12

Can I make a rental in these areas if I am from out of State or from another country, or do I have to quarantine for a period once I arrive at the rental?
There are restrictions. These restricted states include, Louisiana, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York.

Other restrictions in county plans prohibit international visitors, and “reservations from COVID-19 hot spots identified by the Governor are to be avoided for the next 30-45 days.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom