Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

I will never believe Disney will make little kids wear masks.

This is just like the first round of “true” rumors on how they would open that were ridiculous.

Florida will soon have no mask requirement. All the folks ridiculously thinking Disney will be sued by people saying they caught Covid there. But then NOT thinking Disney would get massively sued by parents of a kid who passes out from heat exhaustion or worse from wearing a mask.

DISNEY WILL NOT FORCE SMALL KIDS TO WEAR MASKS.
I would be more concerned with when Orlando has the many frequent lighting and sudden torrential downpours in the summertime. Many guests like us in the theme park would run into the bathrooms , attractions, merchandise and dining locations with the other thousands of people to escape the weather elements. These areas tend to be wall to wall people squeezed into very small areas. Social distancing would be a challenge. The bathrooms sometimes would steam up like a mini sauna.

peter11435

That's not correct. Where does one think the great US military builds their mighty warships? Right here in the USA. One of the main reasons why cruise ships are not built in the USA is because of very high US labor rates. Carnival and Disney as examples won't commit to that. It's too expensive. The US military can build billion dollar warships here and it's at government expense.
Actually it is correct. That’s why I said cruise ship and not ship. The US is well equipped to build ships but there is a huge difference between building a warship and building a luxury cruise liner. The large ship building infrastructure and supply chain across the US is geared towards military vessels.

It’s been over 60 years since a luxury cruise ship was entirely built in the US, and the last ship that was built in the US (so it could be US flagged in order to service Hawai’i islands) had to be sent to Germany to be finished.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
...except at Disney Springs

Phased Reopening of Disney Springs
A phased reopening of Disney Springs will begin on May 20.

Know Before You Go
As we begin to reopen Disney Springs with a number of shopping and dining locations beginning May 20, we are looking ahead to May 27 when we will begin to reopen more of our Disney owned shops and restaurants, including World of Disney, D-Luxe Burger (mobile order) and the Marketplace Co-Op. With that as our next milestone, we are eager to welcome back our Guests, some Cast Members and third-party Operating Participants with safety and well-being of all at the forefront of all our planning efforts.

As we navigate through this unprecedented time as responsibly as we can, we have implemented a number of new safety measures based on guidance from health authorities, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and appropriate government agencies. We, along with third-party Operating Participants, are all committed to a responsible reopening of Disney Springs.

For Cast Members, Operating Participant employees and Guests, there are 6 key things to know before arriving at Disney Springs, and they include:

• Limited parking and reduced entrances
  • Temperature screenings prior to entry
  • Face coverings required for Guests ages 3 and up
  • Physical distancing practices including physically-distanced queues and physical barriers
  • Temporary operation modifications, including reduced hours at select locations and no scheduled entertainment offerings or high-touch interactive areas
  • An increased focus on disinfecting and sanitation, including the addition of hand-washing stations and hand sanitizers in key areas
Since many of these measures will be new, and may evolve, we want to be sure Guests, Cast Members and Operating Participant employees are aware of all these changes.

danv3

That's not correct. Where does one think the great US military builds their mighty warships? Right here in the USA. One of the main reasons why cruise ships are not built in the USA is because of very high US labor rates. Carnival and Disney as examples won't commit to that. It's too expensive. The US military can build billion dollar warships here and it's at government expense.

LOL. Check the construction history of the "made in the USA" Pride of America. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_of_America

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know this will anger and upset the vaccine doubters but here it is anyway :)

Moderna is starting phase 2 of their vaccine trial after a successful phase 1. It was only a small sample and there apparently were some side effects with the higher dosed people but it has been deemed safe and effective enough to move to phase 2. This is the first of the mRNA vaccines to get to phase 2. Brand new technology that has never worked so far, but it’s a whole new ballgame.

Tink242424

There’s a lot of push back against the prospects of a vaccine from some people who seem to be biased for various reasons. If the vaccine didn’t work then why did the British Government green light using it in humans? Makes no sense. There is certainly no guarantee that this vaccine will be the one that works but I find it a little far fetched that it was already proven to not work and they are just going forward anyway. This would include pulling the wool over the eyes of AstraZeneca a major big pharma player who is unlikely to be duped like that and also the world’s largest producer of vaccines who has ramped up production of this vaccine at their own cost in anticipation of approval. Again, none of that proves it will work, but I’ll wait to see the results from the trial.

I'm quite sure that the production of the vaccine at risk is not going to be paid for by AstraZeneca. I'm sure the early production has been guaranteed by the government. Pharma very rarely does anything out of the kindness of their hearts. I say this as a 17 year pharma employee...

Tink242424

I will never believe Disney will make little kids wear masks.

This is just like the first round of “true” rumors on how they would open that were ridiculous.

Florida will soon have no mask requirement. All the folks ridiculously thinking Disney will be sued by people saying they caught Covid there. But then NOT thinking Disney would get massively sued by parents of a kid who passes out from heat exhaustion or worse from wearing a mask.

It will be interesting to look at other places that don't have a mask requirement. I'm pretty sure Efteling which is opening this week in The Netherlands will not have a mask requirement but a recommendation. We can look to places like that to see if not wearing a mask or not having a mask requirement makes a difference.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm quite sure that the production of the vaccine at risk is not going to be paid for by AstraZeneca. I'm sure the early production has been guaranteed by the government. Pharma very rarely does anything out of the kindness of their hearts. I say this as a 17 year pharma employee...
I agree. The reason no North American pharma company is involved is they all wanted worldwide exclusive distribution rights to sign on. The Oxford group wanted to spread the production around so wouldn‘t agree to that.

From the NYT article the Serum Institute of India which is apparently one of the largest producers of vaccine in the world has started production at risk under the assumption that the trials will succeed. They are gambling that if it passes all phases they will have the doses ready to roll out. The other partners are mostly using grant money and donations to fund ramping up production. I haven’t seen any numbers on what if anything AstraZeneca has contributed. I suspect you are probably right that it’s not much yet.

DisneyDebRob

I know this will anger and upset the vaccine doubters but here it is anyway :)

Moderna is starting phase 2 of their vaccine trial after a successful phase 1. It was only a small sample and there apparently were some side effects with the higher dosed people but it has been deemed safe and effective enough to move to phase 2. This is the first of the mRNA vaccines to get to phase 2. Brand new technology that has never worked so far, but it’s a whole new ballgame.

I so hope one of these pans out but the very very small sample size so far and way to little on the side effects with the upper doses. Let’s hope something comes out of it.

DisneyDebRob

It will be interesting to look at other places that don't have a mask requirement. I'm pretty sure Efteling which is opening this week in The Netherlands will not have a mask requirement but a recommendation. We can look to places like that to see if not wearing a mask or not having a mask requirement makes a difference.
It will be interesting to see how places do without the requirement of masks when it comes to amusement parks. When comparing with Disney is pretty much mute though. No other place, amusement that is, has such a large contingent of foreigners visiting every day of the year. When you have 85% of people outside of Florida visiting WDW, not sure what the break up of the numbers from other countries, it becomes a whole different animal but I get what your saying.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I so hope one of these pans out but the very very small sample size so far and way to little on the side effects with the upper doses. Let’s hope something comes out of it.
It sounds like the lower doses were effective enough so the higher dose side side effects may not be an issue. It’s a really small sample (on purpose) so not any reason to assume large scale success but it’s a positive that it actually worked at all considerimg the technology has never been tested in humans. There are others in the works too. May not be this one, may not be the Oxford one either but my hope is one or more of the dozen or so vaccines in trials hit a home run.

Miss Bella

Unemployment in some third world countries..what's that ??
True that. Contract workers in the U.S cant get unemployment either. I know quite a few healthcare workers that have gone the last couple of months without pay. I did contract work for 10 years. I’m glad I’m not currently doing it, but I plan on going back to it when this is over. It’s more money and more freedom, but it comes with risks I”m finding out.

ImperfectPixie

True that. Contract workers in the U.S cant get unemployment either. I know quite a few healthcare workers that have gone the last couple of months without pay. I did contract work for 10 years. I’m glad I’m not currently doing it, but I plan on going back to it when this is over. It’s more money and more freedom, but it comes with risks I”m finding out.
Didn't the CARES Act fix that?

Lilofan

It was sad that the crew members on the ships that could not get of their cruise ships, Florida did not want them either to step foot on their soil and were stuck with no pay. When ships are registered under a foreign flag, it's almost like slave conditions. On a sad note 3 crew members from Carnival and Mariner of the Seas took their own lives in separate incidents while stuck on their ships for many weeks.

ImperfectPixie

Im not sure because your technically still employed you aren’t furloughed. You’re just not getting hours. I don’t know anyone that tried, but it’s a good question.
cares_act_unemployment_checklist_0.jpg

Tavernacle12

Good spot to get out of the heat and cool off a little. I’m assuming they limit the number of people in/out. Probably close all but 1 entrance to funnel everyone through there. They will need a queue or lined off area outside. It’s a huge store, but doable for social distancing. Just like what a lot of people are doing with groceries and mail/packages delivered today everything gets wiped down at home before opening the packaging and using. For clothing just wash before wearing. It shouldn’t be too bad.

Issue with touching is the employees still need to handle things, unless the customers are going to behave vastly out of character and only pick up or touch what they want. Shanghai addressed it in their welcome back ad, but I don’t think I saw WDW do the same.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Issue with touching is the employees still need to handle things, unless the customers are going to behave vastly out of character and only pick up or touch what they want. Shanghai addressed it in their welcome back ad, but I don’t think I saw WDW do the same.
I think you just go in assuming everything in the store has been touched by someone contaminated. So if you pick something up whether you buy it or not your hands are now contaminated. While in the store don’t touch your face or even better if you put the item down then use hand sanitizer right after. Any items you actually buy you wipe down when you get home before using them. Clothing gets washed before worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom