Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

Tesla has already reopened their plant against county/state orders.
I don't know about the U.S., but in the UK there has been a consumer backlash against corporations that have tried to avoid or ignore public health guidelines. I suspect that the normal purchasers of Tesla products are among the more socially aware groups in society, so I can't see this playing well with their customer base. Knowing your customer base is what helps businesses survive during crisis periods, and that awareness will be what makes a difference for corporations like Disney.

hopemax

This is illustrated perfectly in yesterday’s xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/2305/

We truly *are* actually united in our beliefs about this situation, despite what a very vocal minority and attention grabbing pictures and headlines might imply.
On the DIS, someone posted a poll (unscientific, obviously) about how people felt when they wore a mask in public. 30% chose "awkward", 33% chose "whatever." There were other choices about physical discomfort, didn't need one because they didn't go out, etc. There was one for "resentful (America!)" and that was selected by 4%, and one for "refuse to wear" and that was also 4%. Other was 8%. Based on the way the virus threads go, you would think it was more than 10%-20% upset. But it was a good, casual reminder, in addition to the actual polling data, that despite the loudness of the voices, they represent a minority.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the DIS, someone posted a poll (unscientific, obviously) about how people felt when they wore a mask in public. 30% chose "awkward", 33% chose "whatever." There were other choices about physical discomfort, didn't need one because they didn't go out, etc. There was one for "resentful (America!)" and that was selected by 4%, and one for "refuse to wear" and that was also 4%. Other was 8%. Based on the way the virus threads go, you would think it was more than 10%-20% upset. But it was a good, casual reminder, in addition to the actual polling data, that despite the loudness of the voices, they represent a minority.
It’s either that or they have all been banned over at Dis and so they post here now;)

techgeek

If anyone’s in the mood for more light reading, the Event Safety Alliance is a global association of large venue and event operators... they recently released a blueprint for best practices going forward for larger events:

Not many surprises, but a lot of detail and it highlights the multiple points of contact / attention that are common with park operations... and the multitude of details that are being considered and have to be accounted for now.

Peter Pan's Shadow

I don't know about the U.S., but in the UK there has been a consumer backlash against corporations that have tried to avoid or ignore public health guidelines. I suspect that the normal purchasers of Tesla products are among the more socially aware groups in society, so I can't see this playing well with their customer base. Knowing your customer base is what helps businesses survive during crisis periods, and that awareness will be what makes a difference for corporations like Disney.
It really seems that the majority of our country wants to open up though. Maybe not on here, but tons of riots and protests in addition to people just saying F it and doing what they want. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

DisneyDebRob

As the old saying goes, a common enemy unites. Stopping a disease should be exactly the kind of problem that unites us around a common purpose.

That we aren't uniting on this one, says something sad about our society.
I think we deep down knew this about our society with all the division between everyone. It’s spilling over into everything, even a pandemic. I’m the farthest thing from a expert on this or most things about what’s right and what we should all be doing. Reminds me of a great quote from William Penn that fits.
“Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it. Right is right even if no one is doing it”.
Now if we can just get together and agree on what’s right.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t want to get too much into politics but I did see that the House is expected to vote this week on a 2nd relief bill that includes among other things an extension of the $600 extra unemployment payment until January 2021. Its far from passing at this point but shows where some people’s heads are on the speed of the economic recovery. It’s going to be a long, bumpy ride.

DisneyDebRob

It really seems that the majority of our country wants to open up though. Maybe not on here, but tons of riots and protests in addition to people just saying F it and doing what they want. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
I would not agree it’s the majority, but is there people that want to open everything up? Yes.

Polynesia

Tesla is following all the safety precautions that they use in China. In this case I think they’re right.

Calmdownnow

My understanding is that the polls show just the opposite. The "protesters" are currently in a small minority. I do wonder, though whether the authorities in Colorado will be investigating whether the "Take your mother out to brunch on Mothers' Day and expose her to disease" might be an organized scam aimed at people hoping to get their inheritance early.

techgeek

Most of the people that I’ve been talking to personally think it’s important to find the proper balance, which is a much more nuanced and considered position. It’s possible I just don’t know many extremists.

Peter Pan's Shadow

Most of the people that I’ve been talking to personally think it’s important to find the proper balance, which is a much more nuanced and considered position. It’s possible I just don’t know many extremists.
Lol. I don't either. But I don't consider opening up with precautions to be extreme. Based on the news it seems that's the majority that I'm referring to. There may be a group out there that wants to run naked and lick each other's teeth, but I'm clearly not referring to them.

JohnD

Seems legit.

C580CBD6-B798-411F-8EF9-BB7F49ED3880.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom