Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

My understanding is that the polls show just the opposite. The "protesters" are currently in a small minority. I do wonder, though whether the authorities in Colorado will be investigating whether the "Take your mother out to brunch on Mothers' Day and expose her to disease" might be an organized scam aimed at people hoping to get their inheritance early.
This happened about an hour away from me, so now everyone is all, "Saw your metro area on the news!" Yes, yes, I know. For the record Castle Rock is 50,000 people so 50 Darwin Award contenders in one spot isn't saying much about how the majority feels. It is, however, in the county that wanted to sue because the tri-county health department joined the original stay-at-home area for the greater Denver metro area, even though the county's political representation was opposed.

Calmdownnow

Tesla is following all the safety precautions that they use in China. In this case I think they’re right.
I don't think that a big corporation can hide behind what China is doing. But unless you are in the market for a Tesla product, it doesn't really matter what you think -- it's their customers' perspective that determines whether the production values meet the image the customers aspire to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My understanding is that the polls show just the opposite. The "protesters" are currently in a small minority. I do wonder, though whether the authorities in Colorado will be investigating whether the "Take your mother out to brunch on Mothers' Day and expose her to disease" might be an organized scam aimed at people hoping to get their inheritance early.
Of course they’re the minority...by far. Anytime you show up with camouflage and confederate flags in Lansing, Michigan...you’re completely irrelevant.

But that’s just the troublemaking protesters...

The polling at last glance was like 65% support the measures...25% oppose...10% no opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We aren't stopping deaths. We've only slowed the transmission rate. The death total will be the same as if we didn't take precautions in the end.

Current precautions where only to ensure healthcare is not flooded, (which hasn't and most likely won't happen). Those who are going to die are going to die no matter what. The average person is not going to drop dead (most won't even have symptoms) if they are infected.
The ultimate goal always was to slow the transmission...deaths would naturally fall with the spread

hopemax

We aren't stopping deaths. We've only slowed the transmission rate. The death total will be the same as if we didn't take precautions in the end.

Current precautions where only to ensure healthcare is not flooded, (which hasn't and most likely won't happen). Those who are going to die are going to die no matter what. The average person is not going to drop dead (most won't even have symptoms) if they are infected.
There were people who literally dropped dead, that now we know was due to clotting issues. Now we know that people, who are generally healthy, could have a very bad side effect. They are actively looking for clotting issues, and treating with blood thinners when necessary. This new knowledge absolutely saved lives.

DisneyDebRob

Of course they’re the minority...by far. Anytime you show up with camouflage and confederate flags in Lansing, Michigan...you’re completely irrelevant.

But that’s just the troublemaking protesters...

The polling at last glance was like 65% support the measures...25% oppose...10% no opinion.
Men with rifles strapped across their shoulders.. people screaming into the cameras.... being loud and vocal..its all good to make the first news story on the evening news but doesn’t make a majority.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It really seems that the majority of our country wants to open up though. Maybe not on here, but tons of riots and protests in addition to people just saying F it and doing what they want. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
That is absolutely not true.

It’s a cherry picked “story”...the majority doesn’t want to remain closed “indefinitely”...id say that number is huge. That isn’t the same as “opening up”

You can steer an opinion poll where you want...truth is in the middle as I’m sure it is here.

Calmdownnow

This happened about an hour away from me, so now everyone is all, "Saw your metro area on the news!" Yes, yes, I know. For the record Castle Rock is 50,000 people so 50 Darwin Award contenders in one spot isn't saying much about how the majority feels. It is, however, in the county that wanted to sue because the tri-county health department joined the original stay-at-home area for the greater Denver metro area, even though the county's political representation was opposed.
Stay home, stay safe. Be grateful for public servants who try to do the right thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lol. I don't either. But I don't consider opening up with precautions to be extreme. Based on the news it seems that's the majority that I'm referring to. There may be a group out there that wants to run naked and lick each other's teeth, but I'm clearly not referring to them.
The vast majority of people want to open things up but do it slowly and methodically. There is a small group of people who want a stay at home order until there is a vaccine and another small group that wants everything open now. The protesters and people ignoring the orders to get coffee fall into the 2nd fringe group. It’s a very small percentage of the overall population. There’s a false narrative portrayed in certain circles that anyone who doesn’t want everything open immediately wants to stay in lock down until there is a vaccine. The majority fall in the middle. That’s also why there’s some negativity about a vaccine. People claiming it’s impossible or that they won’t get it no matter what. They fear that admitting that a vaccine would be a huge positive and the best result for the economy will result in people wanting to wait for a vaccine to open anything.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The California State University (CSU) system said it plans to cancel all in-person classes for the fall and to continue instruction online, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

CSU Chancellor Timothy White made the announcement Tuesday, which will affect all 23 of its universities.

"This virtual planning approach for the next academic year is necessary because of the evolving data surrounding the progression of COVID 19," White explained to CSU trustees.

White said non-partisan researchers and health experts forecast additional waves of infection coupled with the flu season in the fall. He added the public immunity rate is very low, and it is not likely a vaccine will be developed during the academic year.
The CSU campuses moved to virtual learning in March due to coronavirus pandemic. To mitigate the spread of the virus, the university closed a majority of its campus to students and canceled graduation."

TeriofTerror

I was out running a couple of weeks ago. I came up behind two guys walking and smoking cigs. One guy started yelling at the other guy to put his mask on because a person was coming. I found it funny they were worried about getting covid from a healthy runner yet they are puffing away on cancer sticks, and yes I did have to run through their second hand smoke.
I'm going to try this again. Maybe I'll be a little louder for the folks in the back:
THEY WEREN'T PUTTING THE MASKS ON TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM YOU. THEY WERE PUTTING THE MASKS ON TO POTENTIALLY PROTECT YOU FROM THEM.

Miss Bella

I'm going to try this again. Maybe I'll be a little louder for the folks in the back:
THEY WEREN'T PUTTING THE MASKS ON TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM YOU. THEY WERE PUTTING THE MASKS ON TO POTENTIALLY PROTECT YOU FROM THEM.
Why are you yelling. They were homeless and smoking. I’m not really sure what’s their reasoning was. I’m not sure they were that concerned about my health as they blew smoke in my face. My post was in reference to a post on second hand smoke. Not a statement about wearing a mask. I just found some irony in it.

Calmdownnow

"The California State University (CSU) system said it plans to cancel all in-person classes for the fall and to continue instruction online, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

CSU Chancellor Timothy White made the announcement Tuesday, which will affect all 23 of its universities.

"This virtual planning approach for the next academic year is necessary because of the evolving data surrounding the progression of COVID 19," White explained to CSU trustees.

White said non-partisan researchers and health experts forecast additional waves of infection coupled with the flu season in the fall. He added the public immunity rate is very low, and it is not likely a vaccine will be developed during the academic year.
The CSU campuses moved to virtual learning in March due to coronavirus pandemic. To mitigate the spread of the virus, the university closed a majority of its campus to students and canceled graduation."

What people are not outright saying is that college dorms replicate the living conditions experienced in prisons -- people share rooms, common cooking, socializing areas etc. If you have outbreaks in prisons, you will get outbreaks in halls of residence based on the same transmission threads. This is not because prisoners and college students are mixing, but because at some point someone gets infected and the living conditions lead to a wildfire spread. This is exactly why WDW closed, immediately, its intern program housing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s against orders to get coffee? ☕ 😳
No. That’s one order I would for sure violate. I was talking about the recent incident with a coffee shop in Colorado posted here that opened against orders and encouraged people to show up and hang out without masks or any attempt at social distancing. While the story went viral (that was the point) it doesn’t represent how the majority of people feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom