Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sounds like “empty promising”

Without testing...nothing will happen. And there’s no real commitment to that on a consistent level.

when my governor spoke today about the state’s plan, he seemed pretty committed to testing. Essentially his plan will not work without continuing to make enhancement in this area and he seems to know it. So one step at a time.

Polynesia

The optimistic good news I'm seeing in the Florida data is that deaths have dropped to 50% of what they were at the worst (around 42 deaths a day) down to approximately 20ish a day and the trend seems to be heading down. The more worrisome trend i see is that it looked like the trend for new cases was going down but it's started up ticking again the last few days. I was also surprised to see the positive test rate was over 10%. Here in RI, we have a positive rate of roughly 2.8% and I thought that was high. It'll be interesting to see the data trends as some things start opening in a limited capacity in Florida.
The daily cases have gone up because they’ve done a lot more testing, double at some sites and they’ve added several sites. The percentage a few days ago was 10.8. So 10.2 is a drop. Yes, it will be interesting to watch. 😊

hopemax

Just read that close to 4 million in the states have been tested. Total population is roughly 328 million. As much as I’ve been following this I thought we had tested more. I just learned something. Anyway, what is the rough number do you think that should be tested before really opening up small businesses or smaller places with few crowds? Is there a specific number we should be shooting for or something else? I get the herd community and everything that goes with trace testing. Just wondering what everyone out here thought. Or is the number, in the wake of all this not that important?
I don’t think the total number is important as “The Who.” If we can’t adequately test first responders, health care workers, care facilities staff & residents, prisoners and prison staff, manufacturing plants and homeless shelters and staff...The people who can’t effectively social distance and where outbreaks can get out of hand...we aren’t close.

So far we are making progress on the first two groups, and states and facilities are playing various degrees of obfuscation games or telling outright lies about the rest.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The optimistic good news I'm seeing in the Florida data is that deaths have dropped to 50% of what they were at the worst (around 42 deaths a day) down to approximately 20ish a day and the trend seems to be heading down. The more worrisome trend i see is that it looked like the trend for new cases was going down but it's started up ticking again the last few days. I was also surprised to see the positive test rate was over 10%. Here in RI, we have a positive rate of roughly 2.8% and I thought that was high. It'll be interesting to see the data trends as some things start opening in a limited capacity in Florida.

Not sure where you are getting that Florida deaths per day has dropped down to "20ish".

It has been in the 30s, 40s and as recent as 3 days ago is was 72.

Kristoff

Not sure where you are getting that Florida deaths per day has dropped down to "20ish".

It has been in the 30s, 40s and as recent as 3 days ago is was 72.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to an external site, but it was a link I got off of the Florida main site for Corona info. I can send it to you if you drop me a PM.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I asked this in another thread but wonder what folks think here. Let's say Disney went through the trouble of hiring and restocking the shelves and reopening the parks prematurely (even if staggered) and the pandemic immediately reared its head again as if it never left. Which, let's face it, it’s gonna stick around for a while. Economically and logistically, would that be a good move on their part? Or is it better than leaving the parks closed?

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to an external site, but it was a link I got off of the Florida main site for Corona info. I can send it to you if you drop me a PM.
You are allowed to link it here. I would like to see it also. Just no political links and I’m sure it’s fine.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
when my governor spoke today about the state’s plan, he seemed pretty committed to testing. Essentially his plan will not work without continuing to make enhancement in this area and he seems to know it. So one step at a time.
I think most in that position are clear...but they know if it isn’t coordinated on a national level they have little shot of doing anything quickly. That’s pretty much universal across the board.

Which enlightened Governor?

sndral

I took the time this morning to make a chart of daily new cases in Italy (where there was a national lockdown on day 19 of the chart and regional before that) vs. Sweden where they have not implemented widespread social distancing measures.

To create the chart, I overlaid the daily new case data beginning with the day each country saw more than 10 new cases. I normalized the data per 100,000 population. This normalized data is shown in blue for Italy and pink for Sweden. Since Sweden's count is so low per capita compared to Italy, I created the yellow line where I multiplied Sweden times 10 so the shape of the curve would be apparent to compare against Italy. Sweden is about 11 days behind Italy in the outbreak timeline so that is why the Sweden data ends earlier.

I am posting this as a factual presentation in a format that isn't easily available so that people can draw their own conclusions. In order to avoid back and forth arguments, I would like to request that nobody reply to this post or discuss the content in this thread. Please treat this as a simple display of data. If posters start arguing about it, I will ask @TheMom to delete the post and any subsequent posts.View attachment 464274
Sweden, like the US, is lagging in testing thus your numbers of new cases may simply reflect that. Plus the source of your data isn’t named, so it’s problematic for that reason as well. A more useful metric would be number of hospitalizations or deaths, which Sweden isn’t doing too well w/, but even that isn’t foolproof since different countries have different criteria for what is/isn’t reported as a covid-19 death.
Realize as well that Sweden has taken steps to mitigate spread including limiting gatherings of more than 50, closing high schools & colleges and encouraging other mitigation measures which the population appears to be complying with. So whether something is labeled by a government as voluntary or mandatory is irrelevant if the behavioral outcome is the same. Sweden, like elsewhere, is taking an economic hit.
Because the moderators don't want the back and forth argument but I took the time to create the chart for my own curiosity and thought it would be found interesting.
If you’re really curious about the data and want to really dig into it objectively consider this link http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/covid19/#rates-norm-peaked which has a number of very interesting charts comparing most countries. There’s links in the Q&A section to his data and John Hopkins data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwink

Yeah, you have a much better shot then me of having actually had this and now have the anti-bodies, but I can dream;)
ugh me too. I haven't been sick *knock on wood* since before having my daughter last August. Chances are almost null that I've had this! We were social distancing before it was cool....aka had a newborn LOL

natatomic

What do you do if someone fails a temp check at the front of the park? Do you deny them entry, but let the rest of their party in who may be pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic, but still infectious if COVID is what caused the guest's temp? If they fail the test, do you put them on a bus, monorail or boat back to their resort or car? Do you allow them to travel on that transport with other, unknown and unknowing guests? Do you bleach all surfaces on the transport they took to the park, if you can identify it, and on the transport they took away from the park? Do you immediately contact their hotel to alert them of a possible case requiring isolation? What about when they get back to their resort? Are resort staff alerted, with photo of individual denied entry to the park, so that they can be denied entry to pools, lounges, restaurants, communal areas, elevators etc, and so housekeeping responsible for servicing that person's room can be issued with PPE before entering the room?

Temp scans contribute very little to infection control if other steps are not taken to reduce the contact any "suspected" COVID individual has with other guests, staff, and surfaces following the temp. scan.

I have asked this exact same question 2-3 times on these forums, and yet no one who has suggested temp checks has been able to answer them. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Jrb1979

So ya'll know I want my husband to be able to work asap...due to our situation... so...with that said....

Does anyone else think it's WAY too soon to open beaches? WTH????
Big mistake. I live in Canada and fear for my neighbors to the south. Up here nothing is opening til maybe summer as our cases continue to climb. When they do start lower they will think of lifting some restrictions. Til there is a treatment or vaccine normal is out of the question.

Patcheslee

I don’t really know and I hadn’t thought of that. I was blindly assuming that immune means you couldn’t spread the virus either but that’s a pretty good question.
It reminds me of shingles: which is reactivation of chickenpox and can give someone chickenpox if they haven't had the vaccine.

hopemax

What's odd, is the source of the numbers I was referring to is actually the first source link for Florida on Worldometer. I guess either Florida department of health isn't updating it as diligently as they should or they use a different data set to get their numbers.
You do know that FL reports twice a day, right? Maybe the numbers you were looking at was not a “daily update” but only the “number since the last update” which is only half a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom