Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmit

It will eventually. People said the same thing after 9/11 and we are back to our old habits. It might take awhile but things will return to what we are used to. Whether that will be good or bad only time will tell.

Sadly, we never returned to normal after 9/11. We returned to a “new” normal. That new normal consisted of increased security and screening at the airports, sports gatherings, theme parks, national monuments, Federal buildings, etc. We adapted and that has become the standard now. Most of our kids would never know there was a time before the bag check at Disney or a time when an unattended bag wasn’t considered a security threat. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, and that’s the price we are paying now.

Life will return to a “new” normal after this, but it will never go back to the “good ole days.”

As Andy Bernard from The Office once said,

"I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them."

John park hopper

I would hope the pools would be cleaned. Keeping me up would be easier than letting them go and then trying to clean them. Blizzard Beach was under refurbishment when they closed so maybe they were already drained. I’m sure Disney is not letting their property get out of hand as that’s a huge investment.
Hope the alligators haven't taken over the pools
th.jpeg

peter11435

It will eventually. People said the same thing after 9/11 and we are back to our old habits. It might take awhile but things will return to what we are used to. Whether that will be good or bad only time will tell.
But things never returned exactly as they were before. Sure mostly, but not exactly. Theme park Bag checks. Airport security. Not being able to fly with shampoo.

Things will get back to “normal” but there will be changes (and cut backs) that are here to stay.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Will be very interesting to see how WDW handles the huge lull in attendance that is sure to materialize over the next year or two. Will they invest in making the parks an irreplaceable, incomparable experience? Make people want to return.

Or will they nickel and dime like never before? Optimize staffing to make it appear busy, basically return to the same old tricks they have been utilizing in recent times to prop up the balance sheets. This could be a disastrous strategy.

peter11435

I would hope the pools would be cleaned. Keeping me up would be easier than letting them go and then trying to clean them. Blizzard Beach was under refurbishment when they closed so maybe they were already drained. I’m sure Disney is not letting their property get out of hand as that’s a huge investment.
Blizzard was open when they closed. Typhoon was under refurbishment. If the way they let the Blizzard wave pool sit during its recent refurbishment is any indication I think all resort pools may soon be filled with swamp water.

Lilofan

Blizzard was open when they closed. Typhoon was under refurbishment. If the way they let the Blizzard wave pool sit during its recent refurbishment is any indication I think all resort pools may soon be filled with swamp water.
That's what is concerning. Cannot assume all will be monitored and serviced. Could be a temporary home for 🐊🐊 🐍🐍.

JohnD

Maybe I'm not understanding. Phased opening to me means if it was open today only magic Kingdom would be open. But I paid to visit all 4 parks during my stay.

I get the earlier point about WDW only opened with one park in 1971. But can you imagine what would happen? A phased opening with only MK open would lead to such a massive influx to one park, it would make Christmas-New Years look like peanuts. Better to open all four parks to spread out the crowds (or limited in EPCOT due to int'l CMs sent home)

JohnD

A couple of notes that have come my way.

Still talking about a best case scenario of early June, worst case of late September opening.

Phased reopening with MK first, Epcot last.

Some of the hydraulic systems in attractions are being drained for periods of extended non-operation.

There is little to no upkeep of the parks taking place, so it will take some time to get things show ready.

Pretty much every project that can be stopped has been stopped and will remain stopped for the foreseeable future.

In a press conference earlier this morning, Governor DeSantis was literally talking about Florida DOT doing construction on I-4 in downtown Orlando while the roads are largely unused. If the government can do it, why can't private enterprises such as Disney make use of the downtime without guests?

lazyboy97o

In a press conference earlier this morning, Governor DeSantis was literally talking about Florida DOT doing construction on I-4 in downtown Orlando while the roads are largely unused. If the government can do it, why can't private enterprises such as Disney make use of the downtime without guests?
Legally, they can. Disney chose not to continue with construction and maintenance.

eliza61nyc

And even that is starting to shut down. New Jersey and Pennsylvania just put the kaboosh on all construction with a very few exceptions.
as others have said liability is a very real issue. can you imagine what would happen if a few of the workers came down with coronaivirus?

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am not going to pretend I know anything, but it could hurt Disney a little more if the sponsorships start pulling out. Has anyone heard anything of that?

I hear Peter Pan's Flight is losing their Neverland sponsorship. A spokesfairy said that with the closing of their borders, it makes no sense to encourage Neveraland tourism at this time.

JohnD

And even that is starting to shut down. New Jersey and Pennsylvania just put the kaboosh on all construction with a very few exceptions.
as others have said liability is a very real issue. can you imagine what would happen if a few of the workers came down with coronaivirus?

what's the problem with simply shutting down all together. no exceptions. stay home?

That may be in those states. Keep in mind that the northeast corridor is densely populated. But Governor DeSantis is starting it up. He announced that this morning.

peter11435

what's the problem with simply shutting down all together. no exceptions. stay home?
Exactly. There are already cases of retail workers suing employers after being exposed. Not saying they have a strong case but if I was an employer I would strongly reconsider potentially exposing employees if I wasn’t a truly essential operation.

zengoth

I hear Peter Pan's Flight is losing their Neverland sponsorship. A spokesfairy said that with the closing of their borders, it makes no sense to encourage Neveraland tourism at this time.
Bring back Smuckers sponsorship to the parks! Crustless pb & j individually wrapped is the preferred pandemically safe food.

disney4life2008

I get the earlier point about WDW only opened with one park in 1971. But can you imagine what would happen? A phased opening with only MK open would lead to such a massive influx to one park, it would make Christmas-New Years look like peanuts. Better to open all four parks to spread out the crowds (or limited in EPCOT due to int'l CMs sent home)

I agree but I'm also going off what the predictions are with phased openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom