Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A little bit of good news, a second vaccine went to human trials this week. The company said if the trial goes well they could ramp up production and have a million doses available by the end of 2020. Not enough to cover the whole population but a good start. This company apparently was successful in creating a vaccine for MERS which in testing created antibodies in 95% of test subjects.

John park hopper

A little bit of good news, a second vaccine went to human trials this week. The company said if the trial goes well they could ramp up production and have a million doses available by the end of 2020. Not enough to cover the whole population but a good start. This company apparently was successful in creating a vaccine for MERS which in testing created antibodies in 95% of test subjects.

Great news, ramp up testing those not infect could get the vaccine first, those recovered would not need it right away and give time to make additional vaccine

LauraRose

CRASH.. I know many of you will have felt it bit today is the day our WDW trip was cancelled due to huge amounts of errors on TUIs behalf our original trip was May 15th 2020 an agent on Saturday helped us to move it to May 2021 - didn't tell us about any additional charges which meant our bill went up by £2000 been trying to call back since the weekend and have spent 19.5hrs on hold to them in total

I've been cut off by their system about 5 times spoke to an advisor today who I got cut off from twice thankfully she called me back they said that they could move it to Oct 2020 for us ... checked price and additional £2628 for the same trip as they wouldn't honour the free dining offer we booked.

I've refused and they've agreed to cancel it completely.. i was due to fly in 5 weeks its been booked nearly 12months (booked originally with Thomas Cook they went bust so rebooted with Tui)

I have my family and my health right now and we are all safe of course I'm grateful of that but there's now a big mickey shaped hole and I'm having a sad day...

Hoping to rebook for 2021 when the UK free dining launches again (it works for us don't judge 😁) and fill the void with our next trip!

Same here. Due to fly one month today from Manchester with Virgin but we are waiting and hoping for dining to be announced and re book for same time next year. We really don’t want to have to pay another 2 grand because a virus cancelled the trip but not sure if we’ll be able to help that!

Patcheslee

I didn’t say there aren’t places that they can get assistance. The fact that they *need assistance* is what qualifies them as food insecure. And, as GoofGoof eloquently pointed out, the resources of the places you mention are also going to be significantly impacted by all of this. Donations will be down. Volunteers will be less. They will be impacted by the economic changes just as much, or more, than everyone else will be.
I've seen an impact on local food banks here because alot of volunteers come from workplaces allowing people to do volunteer work on company time. Walmart usually had a weekly delivery to the food banks: picked up and dropped off by volunteers. The Tuesday lunches at a local church is the same way, now we can't volunteer due to exposure risks during work hours, hopeful they are still getting support.
Also starting last Saturday the food bank had to switch from distributing at a 4000sqft building to taking over a 300 car parking lot due to the number of people showing up and distributing less per family than before.

Polynesia

That is wonderful news. There are other companies out there doing the same thing. Hopefully by year end there will be an adequate supply to give to those most in need.

JoeCamel

Farmers are important. I know I like my fruits and veggies. One concern is if farmers are having issues with lack of migrant labor to work the fields, then if Americans work the fields and get paid higher wages. That could possibly mean farmers to ensure their profitability may pass the higher costs to the consumer.
I live in a very agricultural area and there are plenty of crops, plenty of pickers, plenty of packers for the produce but there is no market to sell it. If you want to help you will go buy fresh fruits and vegetables

Lilofan

I live in a very agricultural area and there are plenty of crops, plenty of pickers, plenty of packers for the produce but there is no market to sell it. If you want to help you will go buy fresh fruits and vegetables
I agree and fruits and veggies are part of my diet. Some I know live a life of fast food and crap processed food. Potatoes to them are french fries. The medical profession like their business.

DisneyDebRob

On a side note, my wife is making masks for family and mailing them out today. Pretty happy with the one she made me.

Attachments

• FFABEDA4-BB63-4E2A-83A4-26FA3FB47367.jpeg
    FFABEDA4-BB63-4E2A-83A4-26FA3FB47367.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 125

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great news, ramp up testing those not infect could get the vaccine first, those recovered would not need it right away and give time to make additional vaccine
That is wonderful news. There are other companies out there doing the same thing. Hopefully by year end there will be an adequate supply to give to those most in need.
It’s encouraging to see how much we can do with science when properly motivated. There are about a dozen different companies and universities working on vaccines in the US alone and I’m sure many more than that worldwide. There are 8 billion people on the planet so lots to vaccinate. For once a bulk of the resources and focus of the governments around the world is on working together to do something to benefit mankind. Once we are all vaccinated and the threat passes we’ll probably go back to attacking each other, but it’s nice to see practically the whole world united for common good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I did read somewhere that both milk and produce were spoiling because there was a lack of demand and/or a lack of logistical ability to get the stuff to market fast enough. People are focused on buying less perishable items since they are trying to shop for groceries less times a week.

Lilofan

I did read somewhere that both milk and produce were spoiling because there was a lack of demand and/or a lack of logistical ability to get the stuff to market fast enough. People are focused on buying less perishable items since they are trying to shop for groceries less times a week.
How about donate to food banks since some say there is more than expected attendance in those locations?

Polynesia

In Wisconsin I heard they’re dumping milk but putting a limit to how much you can buy in the store. My daughter has five children so it’s frustrating to buy what’s needed and then hear there’s a surplus. Really crazy

JRS1984

Probably a dumb question...My family has reservations May 11-16. Should we cancel??? Is there any chance of Disney being open by then???

pdude81

In Wisconsin I heard they’re dumping milk but putting a limit to how much you can buy in the store. My daughter has five children so it’s frustrating to buy what’s needed and then hear there’s a surplus. Really crazy

Understand that there are different supply chains and relationships. A lot of Milk (And TP) goes to schools, convention centers, arenas, and all kinds of other places that are no longer open. It's not a matter of just diverting them over to the local grocery store.

Ravenclaw78

A large part of the problem is that we actually have two completely separate market streams for these products - consumer and commercial. Farms and dairies who sell to commercial markets (restaurants, theme parks, etc.) can't just turn around and start selling to consumer grocery stores, because they'd have to invest money they don't have to replace packaging equipment (i.e. retool from 10-lb bags of cheddar to 1-lb bags) and negotiate new distribution contracts, etc. Oddly enough, toilet paper shortages are occurring for the same reason.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Probably a dumb question...My family has reservations May 11-16. Should we cancel??? Is there any chance of Disney being open by then???

The odds are very slim that it would be open by those dates. Disney is cancelling reservations, so you can definitely wait until that happens. I would look into your flights and start coming up with a plan to ensure you can cancel/reschedule without a fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom