Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

It's sad that there are more deaths in Italy than in China.

Ya'll can check the updates here on the numbers.

Just remember, over 65 population in China is only 9.5%... compared to Italy with 23%... so you would expect Italy to have it worse than China on that fact alone.

disneyREINA

This article needs to be shared a million times.

10 million cases predicted if we don’t start isolating ourselves.
no one understands that there aren’t enough ventilators or US, respiratory therapists, to RUN THEM. This is a serious problem and people need to be on lockdown.

A 34 yr old just died. Why? Bc this virus sends you into ARDS. The morality rate is very high once you get thrown into that. You need to be Intubated and put on a vent. You very well May to be proned. We have ONE rotor prone bed at my hospital people. ONE. If hundreds of thousands of people go into ARDS from this...well, do the math.

21stamps

Unfortunately the media doesn't explain that so people get overly hysterical when they see the higher numbers. Once they get the tests going full speed in the US I'm quite certain that the mortality rate is going to drop significantly.

Definitely. The requirements for tests are skewing the numbers badly. People need to remember that. The deaths are horribly sad either way, but the stats are making it look more fatal than it is.

thomas998

So a liquor store is “life sustaining” but a specialty food store isn’t?
Have you seen he amount of taxes the state gets on a bottle of whiskey? Now if the state taxed Godiva chocolate at the same level you'ld see an exemption for Godiva stores as well. The unfortunate when something like this happens is that you know the state is flat out wrong... if it is truly need only stores than liquor stores shouldn't be open... so this either highlights that the state knows the closures aren't really needed and are just doing some for show, or the state cares more about tax revenue than lives if it really is necessary to close as many places as possible... take your pick.

disneygeek90

5X4RU65JEZCIFJGBUPPWAXWIBY.PNG
I have been taking my temperature every night before bed, and it looks like I have good reason to 😅

TrainsOfDisney

Have you seen he amount of taxes the state gets on a bottle of whiskey? Now if the state taxed Godiva chocolate at the same level you'ld see an exemption for Godiva stores as well. The unfortunate when something like this happens is that you know the state is flat out wrong... if it is truly need only stores than liquor stores shouldn't be open... so this either highlights that the state knows the closures aren't really needed and are just doing some for show, or the state cares more about tax revenue than lives if it really is necessary to close as many places as possible... take your pick.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Come on down and claim your free bottle of Baileys! (Or liquor of your choice... just what I wish I had right now... in my Joffrey’s!)

Tony the Tigger

The article says he had asthma and frequent bronchitis as a kid, but outgrew it as he got older. That puts him in the higher-risk category but it's still scary to hear.

That exactly describes me, but I thought since I outgrew it, it wouldn’t be much of a factor, except that I usually get a lingering cough after a cold.

I was more concerned about my diabetic spouse, so I’ve been doing all the errands, grocery stops, etc.

This article flipped me out a little. Poor guy. But it made me realize I need to be more careful.

thecouch

Unfortunately the media doesn't explain that so people get overly hysterical when they see the higher numbers. Once they get the tests going full speed in the US I'm quite certain that the mortality rate is going to drop significantly.
The % might go down in USA but deaths will sky rocket. Most countries haven't hit Italy (In the middle of the peak) or China range (on the way down)

sndral

As I belive this virus has been in the US much longer than anyone realizes this is one of my questions. How do we know if someone has been infected and recovered? If you go and get tested it should show negative because your systems cleared up and your good. But if true are you now immune to this? And how much of the population possibly has been exposed and recovered without any knowledge? Is their anyway to know that?
No way yet to find out who’s recovered - but they may be able to in the near future, they’re developing tests for antibodies which would show that you’ve had and recovered from COVID-19. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...es-could-show-true-scale-coronavirus-pandemic
They don’t yet know whether being infected once protects you from future infection & if there is immunity, how long it lasts - hopefully long enough for them to get a vaccine out.

Last edited:

Lilofan

"Midday Thursday, Cirque CEO Daniel Lamarre announced to staff that the company is laying off 95 per cent of its employees. The Cirque will lay off 4,679 employees, keeping just 259 staffers to maintain basic operations and continue tour planning and ticket sales for shows scheduled for later this year and in 2021. The Cirque will prepare for rehiring if and when productions are allowed to return to the stage."

What the media is under reporting is the millions of Americans laid off or furloughed during this time.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
No way yet to find out who’s recovered - but they may be able to in the near future, they’re developing tests for antibodies which would show that you’ve had and recovered from COVID-19. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...es-could-show-true-scale-coronavirus-pandemic
They don’t yet know whether being infected once protects you from future infection & if there is immunity, how long it lasts - hopefully long enough for them to get a vaccine out.

Thanks great article! Exactly what I was asking.

ELG13

Heck, I was astonished and pleasantly surprised when I made a life saving (3 elementary kids with the social distance school) trip to my local package store. When I arrived, they were open, but doors locked. Rather, a sign with phone #'s to call for curbside drop off. So great, a sign of American injunuite at work. On the positive side of this schits, here's one. Oh.....the planet too

So, yeah. Keep your heads up.
Queue TuPak
I saw reports about this a while ago actually! I was surprised because it wasn't but maybe 2 weeks after the full quarantine started over there. I was surprised that it they were seeing a difference from space so quickly but it made me happy to see it! I mean, I guess we could call this a silver lining. I know it will be short lived once it's business as usual but I can't help but hope that if they see those, that maybe it will make them think about what they can do to lessen their pollution. I mean heck, everyone over there owned masks already because many of them were wearing them because of the pollution.

thomas998

It's been posted by @sxeensweet that 8K College Program cast are arriving in May at WDW. If the parks actually open up this summer, then there is big workforce that can start cleaning up all the dust, grime and mildew that is accumulating while the parks and resorts sit dormant.
If WDW opens before there is a vaccine or cure for the virus, then WDW would be the last place other than an airport that I would ever want to work. People that have spent thousands on a vacation to WDW are some of the last ones on the planet that will not put it off if they just feel a tiny bit under the weather, and when a large percentage of those currently infected with the virus either feel no symptoms or extremely mild symptoms... well wellcome a perfect petri dish for the virus. If anyone had a clue that worked at WDW they would demand hazard pay for working there now.

If no vaccine or cure is found soon then I expect as things get back to normal and this becomes a seasonal virus, then places like WDW and schools would be best served to start requiring testing for the virus prior to admittance... for place like WDW you would expect it to happen the first day they arrive... for schools you would want it to happen on a fairly regular basis for both the student and any household members of the student. It might be expensive but something like that is what you would end up doing with a virus like this.

Last edited:

thomas998

I saw reports about this a while ago actually! I was surprised because it wasn't but maybe 2 weeks after the full quarantine started over there. I was surprised that it they were seeing a difference from space so quickly but it made me happy to see it! I mean, I guess we could call this a silver lining. I know it will be short lived once it's business as usual but I can't help but hope that if they see those, that maybe it will make them think about what they can do to lessen their pollution. I mean heck, everyone over there owned masks already because many of them were wearing them because of the pollution.
I always wondered why they bothered with masks when it was only for pollution. Unless you have a respirator with special filtering cartridges you won't have any real effect on your standard smog. At best they make people feel better because of a placebo effect but that's all.

Rimmit

Not that concerned with the numbers that are hospitalized as much as I would be interested in the specifics of the ones that die or need ICU care. Remember this is the US medical system and some hospitals are more than willing to accept a person simply because they want their money even if they could easily be treated as an outpatient.
Agree, We are also a much more litigious society which makes physicians hedge on the side of caution sometimes. If a patient feels they should have been admitted despite your best efforts to explain why they don’t and then they end up admitted later because their condition changed, depending on the patient a lawsuit may be incoming. The vast majority of patients are easygoing but there are bad apples in every bunch. That being said, insurance or Medicaid or Medicare can deny payment for an admission if they do not feel it was warranted and could be managed as an outpatient.

Also hospitals do not “accept”’patients. They do not make the final say on admission. Physicians make that call. The only time a hospital “accepts” a patient is during a transfer, and ultimately the attending physician is the one that accepts the transfer. The hospital does not have a say in the matter 99 percent of the time.

That being said, the system is designed to discourage admissions. While there is good money in inpatient admissions, the vast majority of money in medicine is in procedures and surgeries. A standard floor admission often times can lose money for a hospital. If you barely go over what the govt seems what should be the average length of stay you lose money. Many admissions end up being a loss for the hospital. Thats why so many hospitals are losing money these days.

Update in WSJ:

The death rate from the new coronavirus may have been lower than previously believed in the city in China where it originated, according to a new study, offering a hopeful sign for other parts of the world.

The study, published Thursday in the journal Nature Medicine, found that the death rate among people who had symptoms was 1.4% in Wuhan, China, as of Feb. 29.

That rate is lower than previous estimates of mortality rates for Covid-19, the disease caused by the new virus, in Wuhan and China overall. A report by an international mission of experts led by the World Health Organization reported last month that the mortality rate in Wuhan was 5.8% in the first several weeks of the epidemic.

This is encouraging, unfortunately the death rate has been rising in Wuhan sine Feb 29 as they get to the end of their outbreak. If you have been paying attention to their recent cases, as the disease tails off, the sickest patients who have been admitted for weeks, are finally dying and they have been having very few new cases. Most days the stats have been something like “23 new deaths, only 29 new cases.” Very promising that the death rate is lower than expected. I suspect it will be closer to South Korea in the end which was testing practically anyone, finding many asymptomatic cases.

thomas998

Agree, We are also a much more litigious society which makes physicians hedge on the side of caution sometimes. If a patient feels they should have been admitted despite your best efforts to explain why they don’t and then they end up admitted later because their condition changed, depending on the patient a lawsuit may be incoming. The vast majority of patients are easygoing but there are bad apples in every bunch. That being said, insurance or Medicaid or Medicare can deny payment for an admission if they do not feel it was warranted and could be managed as an outpatient.

Also hospitals do not “accept”’patients. They do not make the final say on admission. Physicians make that call. The only time a hospital “accepts” a patient is during a transfer, and ultimately the attending physician is the one that accepts the transfer. The hospital does not have a say in the matter 99 percent of the time.

That being said, the system is designed to discourage admissions. While there is good money in inpatient admissions, the vast majority of money in medicine is in procedures and surgeries. A standard floor admission often times can lose money for a hospital. If you barely go over what the govt seems what should be the average length of stay you lose money. Many admissions end up being a loss for the hospital. Thats why so many hospitals are losing money these days.

This is encouraging, unfortunately the death rate has been rising in Wuhan sine Feb 29 as they get to the end of their outbreak. If you have been paying attention to their recent cases, as the disease tails off, the sickest patients who have been admitted for weeks, are finally dying and they have been having very few new cases. Most days the stats have been something like “23 new deaths, only 29 new cases.” Very promising that the death rate is lower than expected. I suspect it will be closer to South Korea in the end which was testing practically anyone, finding many asymptomatic cases.

No, while the number dead from the virus does continue to increase the mortality rate has been going down as they have realized the number of people that were infected was higher than first thought. Last number of the mortality rate in China was 1.4%, which is about half of what it was thought to be previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom