Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I googled and got this NYT story...

... and it's... quite interesting in some ways, and quite disturbing in many others. But it does give a glimpse into the extent China has gone to achieve their apparent success in controlling the numbers.

Regarding masks, I don't know if we will ever be comfortable with them here, but if they become 'required', especially by private businesses, then that's obviously a strong motivator.
I imagine anything is possible. People are going to get fed up with this lock down pretty quickly and if it means wearing masks or other things that a few weeks ago seemed extreme we might all go along with it.

Nubs70

Yes. People would rather spend $8 on a bottle of vodka than $8 on a loaf of bread 😁 seriously though....when we have hurricanes my husband will buy a few cases of beer and they all have coupons for a free case of water with it. Things don't always make sense in the midst of chaos.
Several microdistilleries in my area are producing alcohol for hand sanitizers. The hand sanitizer is being produced and donated to local hospitals by a locally owned manufacturer.

ImperfectPixie

Several microdistilleries in my area are producing alcohol for hand sanitizers. The hand sanitizer is being produced and donated to local hospitals by a locally owned manufacturer.
One is in our town, too. They will give some to anyone who brings a bottle with them to be filled.

Nubs70

To add, the manufacturer donating product is related to that evil Secretary of Education

MrHappy

I imagine anything is possible. People are going to get fed up with this lock down pretty quickly and if it means wearing masks or other things that a few weeks ago seemed extreme we might all go along with it.
That's what happens when we are conditioned on 24 hours news cycles.

SoFloMagic

If you poke around their hotel reservations right now, you'll find nothing available until April 1st.
Maybe they'll take it a month at a time then. I still expect they'll try to bury it with the Friday 5pm press release so the stock market can't react

RobWDW1971

What's the death rate in Italy
Feel free to follow along - the percentage, just like in Wuhan, will continue to drop as the numbers increase and the country gets a handle on it - today 8.3% of all cases have died.

thomas998

What's the death rate in Italy
No one knows the real rate in Italy because they haven't tested everyone... But it is likely going to be higher than China since Italy has one of the oldest populations. To put it into perspective 23% of Italians are over 65, in the US it is only 14% over 65.

If you want to use the known cases by known deaths its currently a 8% mortality rate, but that number is much higher than it actually is... remember it ignores the people with such mild symptoms that they don't even get test or even try to get tested.

thomas998

You can only go by the reported numbers - that's why the WHO estimates the actual fatality rate by trying to include those not tested. You have to start somewhere to analyze the data, you just have to caveat its precision.
Unfortunately the media doesn't explain that so people get overly hysterical when they see the higher numbers. Once they get the tests going full speed in the US I'm quite certain that the mortality rate is going to drop significantly.

21stamps

You can only go by the reported numbers - that's why the WHO estimates the actual fatality rate by trying to include those not tested. You have to start somewhere to analyze the data, you just have to caveat its precision.

Even off the tested positive that we have, anywhere, we’ll have to wait until more are recovered to know the (semi) real death rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom